MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Anyone know what these are? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/652422-anyone-know-what-these.html)

chiromikey 02-07-2017 02:09 PM

Anyone know what these are?

1 Attachment(s)
The small rockers on the rear brake pads? I'm assuming they're for vibration dampening to help eliminate brake squeal but I'm only guessing. I'm asking because I'd like to know if there are any brands that don't have this or if anyone has a method to remove them...

Attachment 363073

shardul 02-07-2017 02:47 PM

After market OE equivalent come with them

chiromikey 02-07-2017 03:08 PM

What are the called? Gonna have to figure out how to remove them?

gaspam 02-07-2017 04:21 PM

they are wear indicators, dont take them off...When the pad wears down to a dangerous level the indicator will scrape against the rotor and will creates a loud annoying grinding noise to warn you that current pads are in danger of basically eroding away altogether. All of our rear pads will have them (my EBC red stuff has them as well as the oem's i replaced)

i also think i would make it more chattery if you remove them

omega_jeff 02-07-2017 04:49 PM

Why do you want to remove them?

chiromikey 02-07-2017 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by gaspam (Post 7049220)
they are wear indicators, dont take them off...When the pad wears down to a dangerous level the indicator will scrape against the rotor and will creates a loud annoying grinding noise to warn you that current pads are in danger of basically eroding away altogether. All of our rear pads will have them (my EBC red stuff has them as well as the oem's i replaced)

i also think i would make it more chattery if you remove them

Don't we have sensors? Why the need for redundancy?

*edit: those can't be wear indicators. Indicators are usually just a single tab of metal facing the rotor, these are two pivoting rockers sticking out of the top of the calipers.

chiromikey 02-07-2017 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by omega_jeff (Post 7049257)
Why do you want to remove them?

Without them it opens up the option to run 17" rims for drag radials that normally fit over everything except those things on the brake pads.

gaspam 02-07-2017 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7049308)
Don't we have sensors? Why the need for redundancy?

*edit: those can't be wear indicators. Indicators are usually just a single tab of metal facing the rotor, these are two pivoting rockers sticking out of the top of the calipers.

from what I remember only sensors in the front, the rears rely on mechanical indicators. And these ones work in a different way than the old ones you're referring to. When the pads wear down too much these will hit since they oppose each other on each side of the caliper ... I believe the metal tabs are on both sides now to keep them true and from biting into the calipers too much and ruining them... also it accounts for uneven pad wear where as the old indicators on just one side would not account for un even pad wear between inner and outer pads

chiromikey 02-07-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by gaspam (Post 7049337)
from what I remember only sensors in the front, the rears rely on mechanical indicators. And these ones work in a different way than the old ones you're referring to. When the pads wear down too much these will hit since they oppose each other on each side of the caliper ... I believe the metal tabs are on both sides now to keep them true and from biting into the calipers too much and ruining them... also it accounts for uneven pad wear where as the old indicators on just one side would not account for un even pad wear between inner and outer pads

I'm pretty sure we have one electronic sensor for the rear. Also, I don't think there's any way these could ever touch the opposing side even with complete pad wear. I think they have to be some sort of vibration dampening attachment but I just want to know for sure befor I remove them.

chiromikey 02-07-2017 06:57 PM

Wow, google is getting to be way to intrusive. After a quick google search, I immediately get an email for brake pad offers.

gaspam 02-07-2017 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7049400)
I'm pretty sure we have one electronic sensor for the rear. Also, I don't think there's any way these could ever touch the opposing side even with complete pad wear. I think they have to be some sort of vibration dampening attachment but I just want to know for sure befor I remove them.

here's my rears installed... did mine about month ago so they are basically brand new... there is only about 1/4 in of space between the metal pieces so they likely will touch when pads wear down 80% on each side.... seems like this is a failsafe... funny thing is i couldnt find crap on google either so i think only you and me are the only ones that ever looked it up as there is nothing on it lol, first time i couldnt find something on google :)

Attachment 363069

omega_jeff 02-08-2017 12:34 AM

These are all a bunch of good guesses, that's for sure!

I can tell you that the pads from http://www.racingbrake.com don't have that feature on them. I just installed front/rear rotors and pads from RB. Here's a pic...not sure if you can tell or not:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4829495920.jpg

gaspam 02-08-2017 01:00 AM

it was bugging me that i couldnt find anything definitive on what their true function is so kept searching and finally found answer on rennlist... they are harmonic counterweights for squeal reduction...

first time i have ever seen them was this brake change (also the heaviest pads i ever felt, go figure lol).. one thing i know is they were handy for keeping the anti squeal compound off my hands and pads during install as they made a nice handle :)

omega_jeff 02-08-2017 01:11 AM

I wonder what it was about the OEM pads that made them squeal, and therefore, made the OEM add these weights? The RB pads, w/o a counterweight, haven't made a peep in the ~1,000 that I've had them. :nix:

While I'm at it, here are a few pics of the RacingBrake rotors/pads:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7d206a1581.jpghttps://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1c8cf52bfc.jpg

10speed 02-08-2017 01:13 AM

Harmonic dampeners are cylindrical on the front pads and trapezoidal on the rear pads,there suppose to help with brake squeal/vibration , We have brake pad wear sensors on the passenger side only , I changed my pads and sensors the sensors are only about 5 bucks each to replace but you can use the old ones if you didn't go low to give you a warning light , My pads are Centric posi quiets there at least 50% less dust

10speed 02-08-2017 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by omega_jeff (Post 7049673)
These are all a bunch of good guesses, that's for sure!

I can tell you that the pads from http://www.racingbrake.com don't have that feature on them. I just installed front/rear rotors and pads from RB. Here's a pic...not sure if you can tell or not:

I had my eyes on these for awhile ,I think there the most reasonable price , how do you like them so far?
Do you have any brake squeal ?
Hiow bad is the brake dust ?
Did you get the oversized fronts ?
Can you post more pics of these please ,thanks

omega_jeff 02-08-2017 01:36 AM

Pics are above. Enjoy!

* No brake squeal.
* 99% less brake dust. (my OEM pads/rotors were THE WORST with brake dust. It was friggen embarrassing, honestly. The RB combination is 100% acceptable as far as brake dust is concerned).
* These aren't the oversized rotors. It seemed like overkill.
* Also, I had the car in for the 40k service at the dealer and they flushed the brake fluid (that was about 4k miles ago). And the brake lines are stock, too.

With all that said, I'm completely happy with the RB setup. The initial bite of the brakes are nice and smooth, making for nice around-the-town action. As you put more pressure on the brake pedal, the bite increases progressively until your, like, "holy cr@p, these brakes are serious!" I've had a few oh-shart moments where I've had to stab the brakes and they reacted instantly and predictably. I highly recommend this setup if you're in the market for rotors/pads....as good or better than stock, for sure.

chiromikey 02-08-2017 02:20 AM

Well that answers both my questions. RB pads/rotors will be on my short list followed by 17" rims and drag radials for the track. Thanks guys!

10speed 02-08-2017 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by omega_jeff (Post 7049705)
Pics are above. Enjoy!

* No brake squeal.
* 99% less brake dust. (my OEM pads/rotors were THE WORST with brake dust. It was friggen embarrassing, honestly. The RB combination is 100% acceptable as far as brake dust is concerned).
* These aren't the oversized rotors. It seemed like overkill.
* Also, I had the car in for the 40k service at the dealer and they flushed the brake fluid (that was about 4k miles ago). And the brake lines are stock, too.

With all that said, I'm completely happy with the RB setup. The initial bite of the brakes are nice and smooth, making for nice around-the-town action. As you put more pressure on the brake pedal, the bite increases progressively until your, like, "holy cr@p, these brakes are serious!" I've had a few oh-shart moments where I've had to stab the brakes and they reacted instantly and predictably. I highly recommend this setup if you're in the market for rotors/pads....as good or better than stock, for sure.

Thanks for your honest opinion, I agree about the oversized rotor it is a little overkill and for another 1k for 1" of rotor is a little nuts,
My stock rotors are ok but in some spots there is rust spots on the hats , I really hate that ! I don't know why they didn't put 2 peice rotors/ floating rotors on in the first place ? Friggin Mustangs come with them now lol, having the aluminum hat is a huge bonus for me as well , I'm glad to hear there working good .
If you get a chance can you post some pics of the setup off the car before install if you have any , Or even some on the car , Thanks again

10speed 02-08-2017 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7049719)
Well that answers both my questions. RB pads/rotors will be on my short list followed by 17" rims and drag radials for the track. Thanks guys!

Im not to sure if 17" rims will clear your brake calipers let along 18" rims I think your stuck with 19" plus

chiromikey 02-08-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 10speed (Post 7050024)
Im not to sure if 17" rims will clear your brake calipers let along 18" rims I think your stuck with 19" plus

They will (at least the ones I test fitted)...if I can get a pad without those weights sticking out of the caliper.

abcut973 02-08-2017 05:56 PM

17" will definitely fit.

chiromikey 02-08-2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by abcut973 (Post 7050416)
17" will definitely fit.

Considering we had 16s on the E55s there should be no question. But we didn't have these goofy brake pads on the W211.

10speed 02-08-2017 09:58 PM

Wow really I'm surprised that 17s fit when I wash the car the dust shield seems so close to the wheel and also the back of the caliper , good to know .

chiromikey 02-09-2017 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by omega_jeff (Post 7049691)
I wonder what it was about the OEM pads that made them squeal, and therefore, made the OEM add these weights? The RB pads, w/o a counterweight, haven't made a peep in the ~1,000 that I've had them. :nix:

While I'm at it, here are a few pics of the RacingBrake rotors/pads:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7d206a1581.jpghttps://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1c8cf52bfc.jpg

Can you please take a pic with better lighting on the rear pads/calipers?