Track Results for RaceChip and ram air this past Saturday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by kponti
Melted pistons can happen with tuning the ecu directly as well, don't be fooled. In fact most piggybacks tend to send the car into limp mode well before you go out of hand with changing parameters.
I have tuned several types of piggbacks and standalones in my time, its more about the tuner than the device used especially when you are NOT changing any factory hardware (downpipes, intakes do not count, they barely do anything the stock ecu cannot handle on its own)
they didn't say that an ECU tune cannot cause that to happen, just that it's much less likely to happen with ECU tune vs piggyback.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I'd question that being a ram air effect, especially since you didn't change anything directly relating to funneling and compressing air in front of the turbo. I'm not saying either one of us is right or wrong but I'd postulate there's more aerodynamics involved in your changes than ram air.

Btw, love your car! I had two gen 2 Camaros myself.
I did change the force of the air thats taken into the airbox which goes to the tubes leading to the turbo inlet. It was said that under load the airboxes could be seen sucking in. If air was entering at 100+mph I assure you it would make this issue a bit better. Its a very common mod in all other platforms but with Mercedes, why would AMS/Weistech/Renntech sell a $60 ram air intake of some sort that had proven gains at the track. When they could sell an entire carbon fiber intake system for $$$$$ and make a ton more. I experimented with a couple different style intake setups and this has been the best and the track time proves it. I plan to get a bunch more runs in using the ramair and not using so we can tell what difference is made.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by Amg63-
they didn't say that an ECU tune cannot cause that to happen, just that it's much less likely to happen with ECU tune vs piggyback.
thanks man, it is pretty clear you have an open mind and probably nothing to sell or owe "a good review"
Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Astolfo
thanks man, it is pretty clear you have an open mind and probably nothing to sell or owe "a good review"
And you are implying that others in this thread have "something to sell or owe"? You are a piece of work. This is an enthusiast site, people like to share their experiences. You just like to argue/stir things up and apparently your opinion seems to be the only correct one...at least according to yourself.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
And that is not always true either. Some ECU tunes can be more dangerous if the tuners aggressively play with the timing (I am not saying any of the reputable MB tuners do it) or even take some of the safety protocols out (desensitize knock sensors). So ECU tunes (if not done properly) can be more dangerous than a piggyback. But like anything, danger and risk increases proportionately with how aggressive you push things, and that goes for any type of tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by TMC M5:
Amg63- (02-28-2017), Mike450 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I'd question that being a ram air effect, especially since you didn't change anything directly relating to funneling and compressing air in front of the turbo. I'm not saying either one of us is right or wrong but I'd postulate there's more aerodynamics involved in your changes than ram air.

Btw, love your car! I had two gen 2 Camaros myself.
+1 on the areodynamics being more of the factor (notice all the tape jobs in 1/2 mile and 1 mile events where those tiny crevasse being taped up makes big difference in MPH gains)
Turbo setups do not benefit from cold air setups in quite the same way a naturally aspirated engine does.

On an NA motor the cold air and resonance tuning for the piping makes more power.

On a turbo setup the air is compressed and thus heated, thus the need for an intercooler. A cold air intake is theoretically going to provide a cooler intake charge in to the turbo however it does not make a huge noticeable difference. It will help to prolong heat soak and is certainly something that cannot hurt much, but It makes little to no difference in hp

Last edited by gaspam; 02-27-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by TTMerc
I did change the force of the air thats taken into the airbox which goes to the tubes leading to the turbo inlet. It was said that under load the airboxes could be seen sucking in. If air was entering at 100+mph I assure you it would make this issue a bit better. Its a very common mod in all other platforms but with Mercedes, why would AMS/Weistech/Renntech sell a $60 ram air intake of some sort that had proven gains at the track. When they could sell an entire carbon fiber intake system for $$$$$ and make a ton more. I experimented with a couple different style intake setups and this has been the best and the track time proves it. I plan to get a bunch more runs in using the ramair and not using so we can tell what difference is made.
I do agree it's a common mod and I made a set of scoops myself for my E55 before anyone started selling them. But I also heated and enlarged (stretched) my inlets as much as possible. And yes, I gained a tenth on the track...but N/A and S/C motors respond to positive pressure increases on the intake side much more than turbo cars do.

I believe you when you say you can see the intakes sucking in and I do believe our inlets are too small. I plan to see what I can do to help with that, and I think your scoops may aid in that deficiency.
The following users liked this post:
TTMerc (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:06 AM

2014 CLS63 S
Exactly. It cant hurt and cost about $7 lol

And BTW I have no relation to Racechip just giving my review as I know a lot of people would like to know real world results. I'm sure ECU tune will net better gains so excited to see the car run 130+mph and consistent 10 second passes. I'll be happy.... For a little while lol
pcanuck (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
It's status 8 either way

op -- awesome results
Old 02-28-2017, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Exactly. It cant hurt and cost about $7 lol

And BTW I have no relation to Racechip just giving my review as I know a lot of people would like to know real world results. I'm sure ECU tune will net better gains so excited to see the car run 130+mph and consistent 10 second passes. I'll be happy.... For a little while lol
Are you planning to get an ECU tune done later on?

I wish an ECU tune was good for 130mph but it doesnt seem like they do that anymore. The only one that did was that old renntech file but they stopped making it. It was probably too aggressive as you were saying earlier about some ECU tunes.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
It's status 8 either way

op -- awesome results
It's a piggy back module how can it be a status 8 if you remove it before going to the dealer , its untraceable?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:26 PM

2014 CLS63 S
Are you planning to get an ECU tune done later on?

I wish an ECU tune was good for 130mph but it doesnt seem like they do that anymore. The only one that did was that old renntech file but they stopped making it. It was probably too aggressive as you were saying earlier about some ECU tunes.
Possibly if there is a super sale or something. Most likely going to tune it myself. Id rather pay $2500 for all the needed Hardware/Software then pay $2500 for some off the shelf tune changing who knows what. There is many options for reading/writing out there. Its not like it used to be where it took super secret things to hack the Bosch MED17. Thats why no name shops are popping up making names for themselves on TRUE Custom tuning. But these are just my opinions. I could be wrong
Old 02-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 10speed
It's a piggy back module how can it be a status 8 if you remove it before going to the dealer , its untraceable?
some would argue that if you truly had a huge warranty claim such as a blown engine and submitted your vehicle to the dealership claiming warranty, before they paid out such a huge claim they could send data from your vehicle to AMG and determine if there's any digital residue that suggest any type of modification that led to the problem; amg is aware that piggy backs exist

Last edited by PeterUbers; 02-28-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
The only residue a piggyback can show is scratch marks on the ECU plugs and some codes showing parameters out of whack (similar to the parameters that show after a sensor goes bad)

Piggybacks simply modify the signals coming in and out, it is the stock ECU that changes the signals that results in increased boost, fuel and spark
Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

The only residue a piggyback can show is scratch marks on the ECU plugs and some codes showing parameters out of whack (similar to the parameters that show after a sensor goes bad)

Piggybacks simply modify the signals coming in and out, it is the stock ECU that changes the signals that results in increased boost, fuel and spark
in a big claim I would put my money on the dealer checking into ecu data logs and sending that data to benz/amg that shows the turbos producing more than stock boost or whatever the hell they log.

But hey the op tuned his car cuz he can afford to buy a new engine if his current dies while tracking it. Gotta pay to play, right?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Fwiw, the 722/Chrysler NAG1 is able to read and record input torque. Can't recall exactly which PID or CAN ID it was, but food for thought.

in a big claim I would put my money on the dealer checking into ecu data logs and sending that data to benz/amg that shows the turbos producing more than stock boost or whatever the hell they log.

But hey the op tuned his car cuz he can afford to buy a new engine if his current dies while tracking it. Gotta pay to play, right?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450

That's what the Audi guys said a few years back until the dealership starting showing them logs of parameters stored outside the ecu, like max boost, timing, and revs, that were not within normal/unaltered ecu operation.

When the log shows you were pulling 19 psi of boost at 7k rpm's in 3rd gear and the oem programing say's 16psi at 6700rpm's is the max, you're gonna have an issue.

Chances are, if Audi does it, so can MB. You should have zero expectation of flying under the dealer's warranty nose because you are running a piggyback tune.

That said, great results OP. Very interesting.

Last edited by Mike450; 02-28-2017 at 11:06 PM.
gaspam (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by Mike450
That's what the Audi guys said a few years back until the dealership starting showing them logs of parameters stored outside the ecu, like max boost, timing, and revs, that were not within normal/unaltered ecu operation.

When the log shows you were pulling 19 psi of boost at 7k rpm's in 3rd gear and the oem programing say's 16psi at 6700rpm's is the max, you're gonna have an issue.

Chances are, if Audi does it, so can MB. You should have zero expectation of flying under the dealer's warranty nose because you are running a piggyback tune.

+1 its well known piggybacks leave plenty of traces for dealer to see and flag vin
Old 03-01-2017, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Mike450

That said, great results OP. Very interesting.
Ahh gotcha! been out of the game a bit.
So what that means is ECU tunes and Piggbacks all leave enough digital traces for MB to detect. You do not want to pay for it, do not mod period
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?

Hi Peter, as an FYI the "logs" do get send to MB. MB is the only one with the encryption keys to be able to decrypt and has the symbols to decode the logs. Unless this has changed in the last 3 weeks and MB has dropped the concerns about their intellectual property, the dealer would not be able to tell if lightbulb is burnt and replace it under warranty without MB decoding the different logs.

Each time a dealer plugs the car into the diagnostic tool all the logs get uploaded to MB. Do not confuse this with the fault codes the obdii reader can get. obdii is a standard car manufactures need to adhere to comply with consumer protection and trade acts.

each time they mention "customer states/claims, concerned, etc. etc." in your repair option all the code gets uploaded. yes there are a few exceptions like please change my old tire or wiper blade but it involves anything electronic up the files go....

obdii ~= windows logs
"Logs" ~= kernel and driver debugging for which you need OEM symbols, which are guarded as what they are, the most fundamental piece of intellectual property a software company can have.

Kind of like the soup **** in Seinfeld, No logs, no love.

Last edited by Astolfo; 03-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM

2014 CLS63 S
The reason for buying the RaceChip unit was in no way trying to avoid Voiding my warranty. The second day I had the car the Cats came off. I have a 3rd party warranty for the other parts not effected Window motors, Ac and all that other stuff. My driver side motor mount is out and needs to be replaced but I'll most likly do it myself. The purchase of the RaceChip was to just see if it worked for $500 and if so how it compares to a full ecu tune. I plan to head to the track on Friday. It will only be 1/8 mile but should get a couple runs in with the higher setting and maybe some race gas mixed. If it runs 6.99@100mph or better that should be good for a 10 second pass. A lot of people get wrapped up in Warranty issues. If you want to go "fast" you cant worry about voiding the warranty. Its difficult to have both IMO
The following 2 users liked this post by TTMerc:
Amg63- (03-01-2017), viren.89 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
The reason for buying the RaceChip unit was in no way trying to avoid Voiding my warranty. The second day I had the car the Cats came off. I have a 3rd party warranty for the other parts not effected Window motors, Ac and all that other stuff. My driver side motor mount is out and needs to be replaced but I'll most likly do it myself. The purchase of the RaceChip was to just see if it worked for $500 and if so how it compares to a full ecu tune. I plan to head to the track on Friday. It will only be 1/8 mile but should get a couple runs in with the higher setting and maybe some race gas mixed. If it runs 6.99@100mph or better that should be good for a 10 second pass. A lot of people get wrapped up in Warranty issues. If you want to go "fast" you cant worry about voiding the warranty. Its difficult to have both IMO
That would be impressive if ANY setting on the racechip can pull a 10.xx second pass. Most full ECU tunes are not getting 10s, just low 11s for the most part.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 PM

E63s
Ahh gotcha! been out of the game a bit.
So what that means is ECU tunes and Piggbacks all leave enough digital traces for MB to detect. You do not want to pay for it, do not mod period
See this confuses me, in June 2016 I went to test drive a black cpo e63 , to my surprise As the sales person pulls the car around I see a tuned by Renntech plate under the V8 biturbo emblem , When I drove it , it was a beast for sure and definitely tuned, and still after MB rigorous 150 point inspection they still passed it for A CPO . I guess they missed the Tuned by RENNTECH plate lol
Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Astolfo
Hi Peter, as an FYI the "logs" do get send to MB. MB is the only one with the encryption keys to be able to decrypt and has the symbols to decode the logs. Unless this has changed in the last 3 weeks and MB has dropped the concerns about their intellectual property, the deale would not be able to tell if lightbulb is burnt and replace it under warranty without MB decoding the different logs.

Each time a dealer plugs the car into the diagnostic tool all the logs get uploaded to MB. Do not confuse this with the fault codes the obdii reader can get. obdii is a standard car manufactures need to adhere to comply with consumer protection and trade acts.

each time they mention "customer states/claims, concerned, etc. etc." in your repair option all the code gets uploaded. yes there are a few exceptions like please change my old tire or wiper blade but it involves anything electronic up the files go....

obdii ~= windows logs
"Logs" ~= kernel and driver debugging for which you need OEM symbols, which are guarded as what they are, the most fundamental piece of intellectual property a software company can have.

Kind of like the soup **** in Seinfeld, No logs, no love.
good info astolfo, thanks

this is real simple... some claims for warranty are dealer dependent, there are tune friendly dealers out there and I don't know HOW they get the claim paid for by benz but they do

also from a organization standpoint any modification to your car risks voiding your warranty and most dealers will happily comply with this.

But like the op said, he's not worried about the warranty and he's a true enthusiast and loves the drive and knows he can handle any issue that may come up as a result of his passion for cars

Last edited by PeterUbers; 03-01-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 PM

E63s
Wanted to wait a little bit to get some seat time with the RaceChip Ultimate Installed. Installation was very simple. Connections were very nice as well. I really enjoy the adjust ability that the racechip has. There are 2 switches S2 on the left S1 on the right. I've been told the S1 knob must stay on "1" the S2 knob/switch can be adjusted. It was Shipped to me on stock setting of 2. The max being 7. From the first drive the car felt like it was tuned. Great response from the pedal and felt a bit quicker. Raced a couple cars from both a stop and from a roll and worked great. the Max I got the switch to was about 5. It was the first day the track was open so I figured I could get a coupe runs in to see the results of both the RaceChip unit and the RamAir setup. Ive had the RamAir setup on for a little bit and know its helping a ton from a roll just wanted to see how much. I only got one run in because lanes were ridiculously packed. I posted results in Dragtimes and I believe it set a "record" for Quickest/fastest STOCK ECU. I am very happy with the results. The RaceChip box was set on its factory setting for this run. I know the car would have made a 10 sec pass on 5. It also seemed to launch a ton easier so thinking the 60' could be improved as well.

Mods are
K&N filters with baffles cut out of stock boxes
Exhaust shop cut off cats and resonator stock piping and mufflers
Racechip Ultimate on stock setting.
Custom Ramair
93 Octane Shell gas

Here is time slip and video

https://youtu.be/OJNqAEsnXPU
Where are the switches you speak of ?
Does each number on the switch just add extra power?
Did you put it on 7 yet ? Or do you need a higher octane fuel?
11.1 without turning the dial up seems awesome to me !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.