W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!!HEADS UP!!! Those considering a RENNTech tune..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 & ML350 Bluetec
I bought my E63 as a CPO car and the dealer did not even know it already had a Renntech tune in it. When I had them send the ECU into Renntech (which they sell), they found the first flash and the service manager offered a stage II for about $1,000 (holiday special). So if they flag my car they will have been complicit in the whole thing and I will have an issue with that.

That being said, I have had no problems with the car and it has only been in the shop once since I bought it.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Is it possible that on the whole Mercedes Benz is making more money in the increased service of modified and tune Mercedes-Benz vehicles? Or do you think they make less money overall because they have to pay out is warranty claims from people who have warranty issues associated with tunes they cannot detect?

my point is that overall is this this Mercedes organization making money, but publicly they have to condemn the modification of their vehicles?
When I was told of Status 8, the service adviser basically said its just a flag. No warranty work will be denied, just a flag. He did add that MB is looking at the rate at which modified cars are having warranty repairs vs non modified cars and it will take a while before all that data is complied. After that, they may or may not change their tune on modified cars such as RennTech etc etc.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by kponti
When I was told of Status 8, the service adviser basically said its just a flag. No warranty work will be denied, just a flag. He did add that MB is looking at the rate at which modified cars are having warranty repairs vs non modified cars and it will take a while before all that data is complied. After that, they may or may not change their tune on modified cars such as RennTech etc etc.
i heard the same from my SA at FJ Mercedes chicago that status 8 flag means that certain major issues the dealer is required to get MB Germany involved to review if they will warranty the repair or not due to a determination if the tune caused the issue. .
Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
na
Originally Posted by jvakos
i heard the same from my SA at FJ Mercedes chicago that status 8 flag means that certain major issues the dealer is required to get MB Germany involved to review if they will warranty the repair or not due to a determination if the tune caused the issue. .
Kind of a headache, huh? Well, lets hope the status is just a flag, and won't cause any problems down the road.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 AM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by mb techman
As of right now this is only for RENNtech. Im not sure if others are affected such as weistec or AMS or any other. We dont really deal with them at the shop.

Mercedes is beginning to put a status 8 on your VIN, meaning your warranty may and can be voided upon review.

I dont know how they know the car is tune, but we have had at least 4 cars (not just E63, but S600s and S63's) that turn up a status 8 on the VMI after the tune. So proceed with caution.

I dont understand what you mean "I dont know how they know the car is tune".
I think most people are under the impression that it is easy for the dealership to discover (and will do so during routine maintenance) if the car has had a ecu remap tune?

Doesnt the car keep track of how many times the ECU has been reflashed? Therefore any number of reflashes over whatever the last maintenance counter was = aftermarket tune?
I think beyond just reflashes, they can also track what other parameters have been tampered with beyond stock levels right? Like Air/Fuel? Boost?
Old 12-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
If I buy a cpo amg can I ask the selling dealer to show me that it's not tuned ?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
If I buy a cpo amg can I ask the selling dealer to show me that it's not tuned ?
CPO means certified pre owned. So benz would warranty what ever condition the car is when they sold it to you. tuned or not.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Was curious about that too Peter with a slight twist - can a mercedes/dealer offer a CPO a E63 that was previously tuned and re-flash back to stock as part of the CPO requirement?

Would assume NO as if mercedes determined it was tuned then I would guess that would prevent the car from passing the CPO inspection and ability to offer the extended warranty on a motor that had been tuned.

Am guessing some of those "off lease" E63s probably had been tuned and driven like hell before they find their way to auction and to a MB dealer contemplating the CPO. Even if the dealer could flash back to stock as part of the CPO process, thats a risk as they dont know what premature wear the tuned motor has experienced and still cover by the CPO warranty.

Now, it would be interesting to come across a used and currently tuned E63 that the dealer is selling as CPO with warranty!!!! Would have to assume the MB CPO process will not allow a tuned car to ever pass the CPO inspection and put MB on the hook for the warranty work....
Old 12-22-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I think at best they can show you is that the car is presently not tuned and/or never been flagged as tuned. I don't believe they have the ability to show conclusively that the car was never tuned. At last with most pre-2017 cars.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by waisoserious
CPO means certified pre owned. So benz would warranty what ever condition the car is when they sold it to you. tuned or not.
i hope there is a date when the tune was applied to prove it happened before my cpo purchase
Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jvakos
Was curious about that too Peter with a slight twist - can a mercedes/dealer offer a CPO a E63 that was previously tuned and re-flash back to stock as part of the CPO requirement?

Would assume NO as if mercedes determined it was tuned then I would guess that would prevent the car from passing the CPO inspection and ability to offer the extended warranty on a motor that had been tuned.

Am guessing some of those "off lease" E63s probably had been tuned and driven like hell before they find their way to auction and to a MB dealer contemplating the CPO. Even if the dealer could flash back to stock as part of the CPO process, thats a risk as they dont know what premature wear the tuned motor has experienced and still cover by the CPO warranty.

Now, it would be interesting to come across a used and currently tuned E63 that the dealer is selling as CPO with warranty!!!! Would have to assume the MB CPO process will not allow a tuned car to ever pass the CPO inspection and put MB on the hook for the warranty work....
in this thread the OP's dealer made him pay for ecu replacement Before trade in... slightly different circumstance and they knew about the tune

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-tuning-2.html
Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Mike450
I think at best they can show you is that the car is presently not tuned and/or never been flagged as tuned. I don't believe they have the ability to show conclusively that the car was never tuned. At last with most pre-2017 cars.
wirh all the stories of cpo cars that had big items MISSED I can't imagine the standard cpo process includes examining the ecu ... but it should

to go back to oem tune ... they also have to take account the ecu for w212 was drilled and unsealed and then resealed.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 458 Likes on 202 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
You would think considering these cars are 100plus new. Considered high end performance cars of that model, that we could get performance upgrades for our cars without having to have anxiety about our warranties. They want to charge us 100k plus for the cars, but don’t want us to get our moneys worth. 20k for performance ceramic brakes, but if we go to the track and abuse them they may not warranty it. But can’t warranty a tune which may I add btw is safe as long as they aren’t aggressive and all safety features are still intact. They should open a performance section of amg for tuners like us that want more out of our cars. That actually drive them and form a bond to them. Most of us know our cars more then the builders themselves, especially if we wrench on our on cars. **** I can hear a new noise at a moments notice lmfaooo . Give us a performance division!!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

I agree and I'm willing to either give up a year of b2b warranty or pay $2500 extra for my performance tune over renntech if amg warrants it ...
Old 12-23-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 458 Likes on 202 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
I agree and I'm willing to either give up a year of b2b warranty or pay $2500 extra for my performance tune over renntech if amg warrants it ...
The **** us amg owners have to deal with lol. Over priced parts, delusional owners that feel they should remain untouched and not add our own personality, tuners that take advantage of the small market we have and triple tax us , you know that tax for each point on our cars 3 point star emblems. A tranny that keep us from the low 10’s lol. I’d definitely pay more for a tune that comes with a warranty,. I promise you if there was a tranny option for our cars that allowed me to unleash 730awtq I’m in. So many other lower end cars are enjoying all their power with minimal issues , with warranty. While we are waiting until 3k rpm to start smiling lmfaooo. I venting in the wrong chat. I still wouldn’t trade my amg for any of those cars! I’ll just wait for one of us to become mbamg ceo’s To start that division
Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Cifdig

The **** us amg owners have to deal with lol. Over priced parts, delusional owners that feel they should remain untouched and not add our own personality, tuners that take advantage of the small market we have and triple tax us , you know that tax for each point on our cars 3 point star emblems. A tranny that keep us from the low 10’s lol. I’d definitely pay more for a tune that comes with a warranty,. I promise you if there was a tranny option for our cars that allowed me to unleash 730awtq I’m in. So many other lower end cars are enjoying all their power with minimal issues , with warranty. While we are waiting until 3k rpm to start smiling lmfaooo. I venting in the wrong chat. I still wouldn’t trade my amg for any of those cars! I’ll just wait for one of us to become mbamg ceo’s To start that division
wrong. You're venting in the RIGHT chat! You have summarized our forum in about four or five sentences.

we are spoiled with these overachiever cars!!

Old 12-25-2017, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63

wirh all the stories of cpo cars that had big items MISSED I can't imagine the standard cpo process includes examining the ecu ... but it should

to go back to oem tune ... they also have to take account the ecu for w212 was drilled and unsealed and then resealed.
They do not check for tunes on CPO cars usually. Local buddy of mine (member in here), has his car Renntech tuned prior to buying it. It was discovered only when he sent the ECU to be tuned by Renntech and they informed him that the car already had a tune.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon
Hmm,.. so.. let me get this right... a DEALER is selling a tune,.. I will assume that this is okayed by MB,.. then MB decides that the tune their legal representative sold, voids your cars warranty?... does the dealer disclose this because if not,.. then any night-school attorney is going to get your car fixed under warranty. I call BS on MB denying a warranty claim based on something their authorized dealer sold you. If they did,.. their dealer would have to eat the cost of repairs. I've worked with enough attorneys in the past to know better than this.

Last edited by Billmiranda; 01-03-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: ffs,.. spelling of a 9 year old!
The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
Originally Posted by Billmiranda
Hmm,.. so.. let me get this right... a DEALER is selling a tune,.. I will assume that this is okayed by MB,.. then MB decides that the tune their legal representative sold, voids your cars warranty?... does the dealer disclose this because if not,.. then any night-school attorney is going to get your car fixed under warranty. I call BS on MB denying a warranty claim based on something their authorized dealer sold you. If they did,.. their dealer would have to eat the cost of repairs. I've worked with enough attorneys in the past to know better than this.
Dealers are independent entities, they are not owned by M-B. Bottom line is, unless you have a written guarantee from either M-B that the purchase of this tune will not void your warranty, or failing that, a written guarantee from the dealer that they will cover your warranty if M-B voids it, you have no leg to stand on.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
Dealers are independent entities, they are not owned by M-B. Bottom line is, unless you have a written guarantee from either M-B that the purchase of this tune will not void your warranty, or failing that, a written guarantee from the dealer that they will cover your warranty if M-B voids it, you have no leg to stand on.
Then the 2 attorneys I spoke with about this today don't know what they are doing,.. odd. Independent entities or not,.. they are legal representatives of MB. That's what a dealership is... same as any franchise. They provide services and goods in the name of the corporation that duly authorizes them to act as representatives of said corporation.
That contractual agreement allows them to sell MB cars and licensed products, along with maintenance services etc., as a duly authorized representative of said corporation. If they add something that knowingly voids a warranty, "bottom line: is that they are culpable . Period.

If 2 attorneys aren't enough,.. let me know the number. I work right at the Federal Law Enforcement Academies on Quantico. There are a ton here.

Last edited by Billmiranda; 01-04-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

The following users liked this post:
mrmotoguzzi00 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
RENNtech tune

hi guys, I had my CLS550 tune by RENNtech THROUGH my MB dealer, and even have an invoice that clearly says ‘RENNtech tune’, so im
wondering if MBUSA has loosened up on this, or at least some dealers. Since I exclusively use this dealer I’m not too worried about the warranty. In fact, my service guy who did it said to remind him when I come in so that the service guys don’t do any updates that may override the tune. I still have a warranty for 50K more miles, and was assured by my MB dealer that nothing is voided - suppose it could just be the dealer. I’d suggest doing thorough research, but the tune is great. BTW, just did the tune in June 2018.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:11 PM

CLS550
RENNtech tunes

I for one, being someone who simply can’t afford an AMG, was happy to get some additional power and torque. My buddy at my MB dealer said that if they tuned all their cars to capacity initially, it would cut down on AMG sales, just because of the price difference. I would still rather have an AMG, but since I just can’t afford it, this is the next best thing. You still don’t get that AMG growl, or the AMG styling, but hey, for $2500 it’s worth it just to take on M3’s, M5’s etc. I was told the stock CLS550 transmission and drivetrain is fully capable of accommodating the 540hp and additional torque, so I’m a happy customer.

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-05-2018, 12:04 PM

M3
I wonder if an aftermarket warranty company would question a claim if something happened to the powertrain, or would that warranty company know to ask Mercedes about tuning? Especially if the dealer installed the Renntech software, would they volunteer that info that the car was tuned?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Originally Posted by Adam Broadfoot
hi guys, I had my CLS550 tune by RENNtech THROUGH my MB dealer, and even have an invoice that clearly says ‘RENNtech tune’, so im
wondering if MBUSA has loosened up on this, or at least some dealers. Since I exclusively use this dealer I’m not too worried about the warranty. In fact, my service guy who did it said to remind him when I come in so that the service guys don’t do any updates that may override the tune. I still have a warranty for 50K more miles, and was assured by my MB dealer that nothing is voided - suppose it could just be the dealer. I’d suggest doing thorough research, but the tune is great. BTW, just did the tune in June 2018.
I was told the same through my dealership and I have done this with Dinan through BMW dealerships in the past. I know on Audis my warranty was void moments after purchase once I went with GIAC and nearly every late model Audi I owned has/had a TD1 flag attached to it's VIN. The question still remains if done through dealer will the dealer take responsibility or will RennTech assume the liability or the most likely scenario neither will take responsibility for warranty claims?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!!HEADS UP!!! Those considering a RENNTech tune..