Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
DIY: Revotech Steering Wheel Install

Hi Folks,

I wanted to give you a quick overview of the process to install an aftermarket Steering Wheel ( in my case the Beautiful Revotech Wheel I posted a little while ago). I've installed custom steering wheels on all my cars going back 10 years. Its an amazing mod that brings tons of enjoyment because it about the only mod that you stare at the whole time driving. It takes only 15 -30 mins for most people to do it.

Anyhow, the first thing you are going to want to do is disconnect the main battery. I mean the big one, not the small accessory battery ( which can remain connected) Locate it ( some cars its in front under the cabin air filter, such as in my case, others may have it installed in the rear). Disconnect the negative post, and set it aside. THIS IS IMPORTANT! If you do not disconnect the battery, you will be working on a potentially energized circuit, and could trigger the airbag to fire ruining your day, or at very least leave you with an SRS CEL that the dealer will need to clear! DON'T SKIP THIS.

Tools Needed:
1 x T handle 3mm Allen wrench or similar sized
1 needle nosed pliers
1 x Small flat head
1 x T50 or 55 Hex socket ( can't remember now if it was 50 or 55)
Impact gun for above socket

Step 2: Airbag removal

AFTER DISCONNECTING BATTERY

To remove the Airbag you need to insert the allen key into the small holes on either side of the steering wheel below and behind the paddles. Inside the hole is the release spring for the airbag mounting post. The idea is to push the spring into the center of the wheel to allow he airbag post to pop out. You need to do this on either side and then remove the airbag from the wheel

Hole location:

Allen KEy inserted

From front:

Here is a video to walk you through the process

Once the airbag is out of the way, you want to disconnect all the harness connections going from the steering wheel to the clock spring plate. These are marked in Red Below

Step 3 Remove Bolt

Take note of its relative positioning as its currently torqued. Take pic on your phone is easiest. From there remove the big T55 Hex bolt ( in blue in picture above). Easiest thing to do is use a socket and an impact gun. This will allow you to remove bolt without someone pulling the wheel the other way of rotation to provide resistance. If you do not have an impact gun, you can use extension and a breaker bar, however then someone will have to provide counter resistance.

Step 4: Pull the steering wheel straight towards you!

Voila...old wheel is off. Simply reverse steps!

Actually a couple things to look out for:

1. Aligning the wheel correctly- The splines on the steering wheel are keyed against the column. Just match up the thicker key markings ( at 12 o'clock). this will make sure the new wheel is straight and tracks true

2. Harness variations. Depending on your cars features and the core used you may need to swap some parts. I have the attention assist feature that vibrates the steering wheel if you drift off. The core used for mine didn't. I had to swap my harness and motor assembly. I also had to swap the in steering wheel module as the one on the core didn't have that spot to plug in. Swapped over everything worked perfect

3. Hex bolt torque- You are going to have to use some blue locktite to ensure the thread sets, and torque it back to the location you previous took note of.

4. After all plugged in simply align the airbag and pres it down until it clicks in place.

Reattach the battery and test drive and try out all steering controls.

Optional: Enjoy looking at this every time you drive!

Shout out to Dima at Revotech Motorsports for an awesome, well priced product!

The following 5 users liked this post by KLR CLS:
cadeca (04-23-2017), E63_u_mirin (08-01-2017), Jimminez (04-18-2017), NYC_Z06 (09-03-2018), Revotech Motorsports (04-21-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
Nice write up and a steering wheel! Thank You!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E63
wow, that's awesome!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM
AG6

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
13 GL550
Thanks for the info I may consider this, if it's decently priced
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
They are very well priced, and a site sponsor. Generally $1100 to $1500 depending on options Hit them up and I'm sure you'll be impressed. After I bought mine, 4 other guys in the local MBTN club bought ones as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
AG6

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
13 GL550
I emailed them I tried to PM but they don't allow PMs?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Email at revotechmotorsports@gmail.com
Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series/CLS63/SLS Black Series/C63 Sedan/X222
Originally Posted by AG6
I emailed them I tried to PM but they don't allow PMs?
Really? We get Pm's regularly here, have to check some settings. Sending you a message now!

And thank you Peter! Great thread!
Old 04-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes W212
where u bought that AMG logo inside of air bag?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SLK55, 2014 E63 Wagon
Thanks for the DIY details. The new wheel looks great. I agree this is a great mod that can be enjoyed each time you take the car out for a spin. I replaced the steering wheel in my SLK and italways brings a smile to my face. I'll have to check out the Revotech designs for my E63 wagon.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Revotech Motorsports
Really? We get Pm's regularly here, have to check some settings. Sending you a message now!

And thank you Peter! Great thread!
I also tried to message you with no luck. interested in doing the wheel swap, PM me. thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 01:36 PM

W203 C32 AMG...W221 S63...SOLD...W212 E63 CURRENT
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Hi Folks,

I wanted to give you a quick overview of the process to install an aftermarket Steering Wheel ( in my case the Beautiful Revotech Wheel I posted a little while ago). I've installed custom steering wheels on all my cars going back 10 years. Its an amazing mod that brings tons of enjoyment because it about the only mod that you stare at the whole time driving. It takes only 15 -30 mins for most people to do it.

Anyhow, the first thing you are going to want to do is disconnect the main battery. I mean the big one, not the small accessory battery ( which can remain connected) Locate it ( some cars its in front under the cabin air filter, such as in my case, others may have it installed in the rear). Disconnect the negative post, and set it aside. THIS IS IMPORTANT! If you do not disconnect the battery, you will be working on a potentially energized circuit, and could trigger the airbag to fire ruining your day, or at very least leave you with an SRS CEL that the dealer will need to clear! DON'T SKIP THIS.

Tools Needed:
1 x T handle 3mm Allen wrench or similar sized
1 needle nosed pliers
1 x Small flat head
1 x T50 or 55 Hex socket ( can't remember now if it was 50 or 55)
Impact gun for above socket

Step 2: Airbag removal

AFTER DISCONNECTING BATTERY

To remove the Airbag you need to insert the allen key into the small holes on either side of the steering wheel below and behind the paddles. Inside the hole is the release spring for the airbag mounting post. The idea is to push the spring into the center of the wheel to allow he airbag post to pop out. You need to do this on either side and then remove the airbag from the wheel

Hole location:

Allen KEy inserted

From front:

Here is a video to walk you through the process

Once the airbag is out of the way, you want to disconnect all the harness connections going from the steering wheel to the clock spring plate. These are marked in Red Below

Step 3 Remove Bolt

Take note of its relative positioning as its currently torqued. Take pic on your phone is easiest. From there remove the big T55 Hex bolt ( in blue in picture above). Easiest thing to do is use a socket and an impact gun. This will allow you to remove bolt without someone pulling the wheel the other way of rotation to provide resistance. If you do not have an impact gun, you can use extension and a breaker bar, however then someone will have to provide counter resistance.

Step 4: Pull the steering wheel straight towards you!

Voila...old wheel is off. Simply reverse steps!

Actually a couple things to look out for:

1. Aligning the wheel correctly- The splines on the steering wheel are keyed against the column. Just match up the thicker key markings ( at 12 o'clock). this will make sure the new wheel is straight and tracks true

2. Harness variations. Depending on your cars features and the core used you may need to swap some parts. I have the attention assist feature that vibrates the steering wheel if you drift off. The core used for mine didn't. I had to swap my harness and motor assembly. I also had to swap the in steering wheel module as the one on the core didn't have that spot to plug in. Swapped over everything worked perfect

3. Hex bolt torque- You are going to have to use some blue locktite to ensure the thread sets, and torque it back to the location you previous took note of.

4. After all plugged in simply align the airbag and pres it down until it clicks in place.

Reattach the battery and test drive and try out all steering controls.

Optional: Enjoy looking at this every time you drive!

Shout out to Dima at Revotech Motorsports for an awesome, well priced product!

Where can I get this steering wheel and would u know if I can fit it in my 2011 E63
Old 07-30-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Yes it will work on a 2011 w212, and you can get it from Revotech contact info listed in this thread
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 PM

W203 C32 AMG...W221 S63...SOLD...W212 E63 CURRENT
Thank you I'll email them now