Advice needed: Adding back in high flow cats with turbo back non-cat DPs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 SQ5 / 2012 Ferrari FF
Advice needed: Adding back in high flow cats with turbo back non-cat DPs

Hi all-
I have a 2012 E63 wagon with Eurocharged turbo-back catless downpipes going to the Eurocharged midpipes, then the stock resonator and stock muffler. Power is great, and noise is great - originally had the resonators off as well but cold start was way too loud so they went back in.
I drive with windows down often and have a significant other that hates the exhaust smell without the cats, so planning on putting high flow cats back in to burn off extra fuel, but won't be in the original spot on the downpipes, and will be after the O2 sensors (basically, O2 sensor location is not a factor).

My question is placement - where can the high flow cats be located and still be effective? They need the heat to work, which I think is why they are normally so close to the engine - is putting them in the same location as the resonators going to work? or do they need to be at the front of the midpipes, right after the downpipes? Also, thoughts on whether they should be wrapped in header wrap to keep them warm?
Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Wrapped or not, I personally don't think they'll work that far down stream but I'm only guessing...
Old 04-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 SQ5 / 2012 Ferrari FF
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Wrapped or not, I personally don't think they'll work that far down stream but I'm only guessing...
Yep my concern, too. Was told that it would work but I have some doubts-I just don't know how specific that heat range is. Good news is that anything would be better than nothing, but still...