Rear ended yesterday- what should I do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Most of them
Rear ended yesterday- what should I do

As title says

Could have been way worse. Was heading home on a busy two lane road (50mph), when the truck in front of me suddenly stopped to turn into a restaurant. I was gradually slowing down when I looked up and saw a late 90's Civic in my rearview that was not stopping whatsoever. Tried downshifting and flooring it around the truck that was stopping, I got out of the way slightly but the Civic still "tapped" me if you can call it that. I believe if I had been dead stopped and he hit me going 50 it would have been very bad for my car. Guy told the state trooper that he was texting and not looking at the road

Question now is what do I do? Does the 2014 bumper fit on my car? I thought about it, but also wondered if it would look out of place on the older car. I believe the taillights are slightly different as well along with the diffuser and tips. I looked up under the car and nothing looks bent other than the brackets for the diffuser. Thankfully, no dash lights, no trunk lid damage, no qtr panel damage, park sensors still work, and the car drives just as it did before Just ready to get this fixed, hate seeing my car like this.

Last edited by dinman; 05-06-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Sorry you had the misfortune of somebody hitting you.

1. File a claim asap with his carrier and get an estimate (or several) at the body shop(s) of your choice.

2. Do not sign off or cash any checks from the other party until you are fully satisfied and made whole.

3. If your state allows for diminished value claim, hire your own appraiser and negotiate based off that.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
^^^this

dont mess around with 2014 parts

get the insurance claim going with his insurance and get them to cover a MERCEDES AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER

good luck and glad youre ok

dimonished value varies state to state and you can go online and get a diminished value estimate by someone like collision claims dot com
Old 05-06-2017, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
what everyone else said

the damage of your bumper vs the civic damaged front end is testament as to how well built AMGs are
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
There is likely more damage than you think. Take the floor lining up in your trunk and look for damage there. Also the exhaust pipes may have damage.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E63
I assume you have full coverage? Just take it to the dealership or an authorized repair facility and have your insurance take of it. Since not your fault, they'll get the money back from the other guy. No need to stress yourself out over this or do anything.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by homeofstone
There is likely more damage than you think. Take the floor lining up in your trunk and look for damage there. Also the exhaust pipes may have damage.
+100. From the pictures of the Honda you can tell that the Honda crumbled to the second crumbling zone (bend in the hood near the wheel), which is right before the engine crumbling zone. His car is very likely be totaled.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS63 2004 S55
I had similar incident

I had almost identical accident on my 13' (headrests popped too). Repair was > $20k (I have designo matte paint) and the trunk pan took damage. Go mercedes stay 2010, but take $ from stock lower diffuser for a carbon one.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 AM

Most of them
Originally Posted by Chappy
Sorry you had the misfortune of somebody hitting you.

1. File a claim asap with his carrier and get an estimate (or several) at the body shop(s) of your choice.

2. Do not sign off or cash any checks from the other party until you are fully satisfied and made whole.

3. If your state allows for diminished value claim, hire your own appraiser and negotiate based off that.

Hope it all works out for you!
Adjuster will be looking at it Monday, did not know about this "diminished value claim" either. Will look into that

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
^^^this

dont mess around with 2014 parts

get the insurance claim going with his insurance and get them to cover a MERCEDES AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER

good luck and glad youre ok

dimonished value varies state to state and you can go online and get a diminished value estimate by someone like collision claims dot com
Yeah I've decided the 2014 rear end would be too much work. No doubt going to a Mercedes dealer.

Originally Posted by gaspam
what everyone else said

the damage of your bumper vs the civic damaged front end is testament as to how well built AMGs are
For sure. His was already a little beat up. But my car took it better than I expected when I was getting out.

. I'll take some more pics soon. I hope there isn't any other damage. I thought the exhaust was pushed in yesterday but it's actually the bumper pushed in.

Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
I assume you have full coverage? Just take it to the dealership or an authorized repair facility and have your insurance take of it. Since not your fault, they'll get the money back from the other guy. No need to stress yourself out over this or do anything.
Yep. Going to go to a Mercedes dealer in dallas more than likely.
Originally Posted by Astolfo
+100. From the pictures of the Honda you can tell that the Honda crumbled to the second crumbling zone (bend in the hood near the wheel), which is right before the engine crumbling zone. His car is very likely be totaled.
It already has some of that damage on the front end, I'm surprised it drove away
Originally Posted by NGS_E55
I had almost identical accident on my 13' (headrests popped too). Repair was > $20k (I have designo matte paint) and the trunk pan took damage. Go mercedes stay 2010, but take $ from stock lower diffuser for a carbon one.

​​​​​ hopefully mine being a non designo color it won't be that much. I don't believe my trunk pan is damaged, and I'm for sure planning on a carbon fiber diffuser
Old 05-07-2017, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Get an authorized MB dealer do the repairs! Having a '14 bumper won't look good.
Sorry about this misfortune and hoping you'll get back on track soos.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Most of them
Long road ahead I suppose. His insurance company says they don't know if he's covered due to potentially late payments. So they are unsure if they will even cover it.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by dinman
Long road ahead I suppose. His insurance company says they don't know if he's covered due to potentially late payments. So they are unsure if they will even cover it.
omfg

so then your insurance will fix it minus your deductible and you can't get diminished value. You can sue him but he's broke so that'll just be more expense for you
Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
omfg

so then your insurance will fix it minus your deductible and you can't get diminished value. You can sue him but he's broke so that'll just be more expense for you

That is horrible mate!
Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Most of them
omfg

i know right. why is the damn insurance system like that. this happened to a buddy of mine like a month ago. same situation except the girl that hit him had no insurance OR drivers license and she got her already beat up car towed and a little slap on the wrist by the officer. i guess i should say why are people with no insurance not punished more severely.

Originally Posted by Astolfo
That is horrible mate!
yup... ill keep you guys updated
Old 05-08-2017, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Sorry to hear what had happened but it's good to hear you're okay. If you are heading to DFW, try Ewing's Body Shop which is attached to MB and GM of Plano because I know you go there. Ewing's is certified as a MB Certified Collision Center. Ask for Brady Wallace 214-547-2995, whom I recently encountered after my car got pelted on by hails during the weekend storm in DFW area 2-3 weeks ago. Yes, please tell him I sent you. I'm sure he will remember the silver E63 with hail-caused dimples all over.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
As title says

Could have been way worse. Was heading home on a busy two lane road (50mph), when the truck in front of me suddenly stopped to turn into a restaurant. I was gradually slowing down when I looked up and saw a late 90's Civic in my rearview that was not stopping whatsoever. Tried downshifting and flooring it around the truck that was stopping, I got out of the way slightly but the Civic still "tapped" me if you can call it that. I believe if I had been dead stopped and he hit me going 50 it would have been very bad for my car. Guy told the state trooper that he was texting and not looking at the road

Question now is what do I do? Does the 2014 bumper fit on my car? I thought about it, but also wondered if it would look out of place on the older car. I believe the taillights are slightly different as well along with the diffuser and tips. I looked up under the car and nothing looks bent other than the brackets for the diffuser. Thankfully, no dash lights, no trunk lid damage, no qtr panel damage, park sensors still work, and the car drives just as it did before Just ready to get this fixed, hate seeing my car like this.

Oh man. Glad everyone is alright. I have the 2013 version of your E63 and am glad to see it held up during rear impact. Would you happen to know how fast the driver was going from police report? From the look of your driver headrest cover popping out, I would have the whole car checked over and get a second estimate from a 3rd party who should be really good at finding problems related to the accident and when you get a 2nd or 3rd. estimate, I would saying your paying cash for repairs. You might be surprise they will find more problems then. Keep up posted and best of luck to get your AMG back to normal.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E63

Just go through your own insurance if you have full coverage. No drama and you get the repairs started right away.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Most of them
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
Just go through your own insurance if you have full coverage. No drama and you get the repairs started right away.
i do have full coverage, but then i have to pay a $1000 deductible over something that wasn't my fault. oh well. i guess it happens. still pissed the f*** off at the way the officer handled it. guy that hit me was throwing pill bottles out and lying to the officer about why he hit me and what he was doing to divert his attention from the road. then kept telling the officer "please man i don't need anything else on my record man my insurance is already high enough man" etc etc and on and on about how he doesn't have the money to fix his car and how mine "isn't even that bad and i could just leave it like that". officer simply wrote him a careless operation ticket for a dude probably throwing drugs at the scene, with no valid insurance, admitted to texting and driving, and then tried to lie and say he wasn't

honestly dont even care if the guy gets in trouble or not, the way he was acting it will catch up on him one day.

I just want my car back to how it looked this time last week.

y'all will have to bear with me. i've never gone through any of this process before so i'm lost on what happens next, etc.

plus the MB dealer i use is 4 1/2 hrs away and i honestly don't know who to trust with my car between here and there.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
No insurance + accident should = loss of license + jail/probation + fines. Nobody cares why you're in the situation you're in (speaking to Honda driver) fact of the matter is you put yourself there, stayed there, and now made it someone else's problem.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
Wow, that civic is jacked considering you actually got moving when he hit you! If only there wasn't so much transmission lag, you could have outrun him! (jk)

Long ago I had a car that was hit and I took it to a bmw dealer, who outsourced the work to some local garbage body shop. I was really upset because I didn't ask enough questions up front. Sorry it all happened because there is only annoyance here and no benefit
Old 05-08-2017, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Unless the person at fault got a notice from their insurance that it was cancelled due to non payment then I think under the law they still have insurance. In any case if your company pays to have your car fixed, they in turn will take legal action against the driver of the other car to recover the money they paid out.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63s...2013 X5 5.0...2010 LX 570
Sorry about your accident...this happened to me a few months back...a real pain in the ...

Attached Thumbnails Rear ended yesterday- what should I do-img_0245.jpg   Rear ended yesterday- what should I do-img_0235.jpg   Rear ended yesterday- what should I do-img_0237.jpg  

Last edited by dragon4under; 05-08-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
MB
Fingers crossed it works out Dan. If I can help at all let me know.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
still pissed the f*** off at the way the officer handled it. guy that hit me was throwing pill bottles out and lying to the officer about why he hit me and what he was doing to divert his attention from the road. then kept telling the officer "please man i don't need anything else on my record man my insurance is already high enough man" etc etc and on and on about how he doesn't have the money to fix his car and how mine "isn't even that bad and i could just leave it like that". officer simply wrote him a careless operation ticket for a dude probably throwing drugs at the scene, with no valid insurance, admitted to texting and driving, and then tried to lie and say he wasn't
Where did it take place? Did it occur near your place in LA?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Most of them
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
No insurance + accident should = loss of license + jail/probation + fines. Nobody cares why you're in the situation you're in (speaking to Honda driver) fact of the matter is you put yourself there, stayed there, and now made it someone else's problem.
exactly. if that was strictly enforced, i believe less of this BS would happen. I'm still waiting to hear from his insurance company. They claim they are "investigating" his current standing with them. Fingers crossed that they cover it

Originally Posted by ajs76
Wow, that civic is jacked considering you actually got moving when he hit you! If only there wasn't so much transmission lag, you could have outrun him! (jk)

Long ago I had a car that was hit and I took it to a bmw dealer, who outsourced the work to some local garbage body shop. I was really upset because I didn't ask enough questions up front. Sorry it all happened because there is only annoyance here and no benefit
Hahahaha. I actually was spamming the downshift paddle and it wouldn't do much of anything until the last second. I jokingly told my friend i could have easily moved out of his way if my transmission wasn't so laggy

Unless the person at fault got a notice from their insurance that it was cancelled due to non payment then I think under the law they still have insurance. In any case if your company pays to have your car fixed, they in turn will take legal action against the driver of the other car to recover the money they paid out.
good to know. apparently it's still under investigation if he is covered or not. So now it's just a waiting game on hearing back from geico

Originally Posted by dragon4under
Sorry about your accident...this happened to me a few months back...a real pain in the ...

holy s*** ... did they total your car out after that, or was it repaired? makes me sick to see that. if it was repaired, i must ask for pics of it after the repair. that's the 1st thing i checked when he hit me, was my trunk lid damaged.

Originally Posted by 6speeddave
Fingers crossed it works out Dan. If I can help at all let me know.
fingers crossed here as well man, i appreciate it. hoping to hear good news before the end of the week.

Originally Posted by otakki
Where did it take place? Did it occur near your place in LA?
Yessir. About a mile from my house.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear ended yesterday- what should I do