MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Quirky M157 engine questions.... (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/668973-quirky-m157-engine-questions.html)

mrmotoguzzi00 06-05-2017 09:39 AM

Quirky M157 engine questions....

I tried asking in the ML63 (W166) section but got a big goose egg for responses. Lot more traffic here, hopefully you guys can shed a little light :)

Just picked up a 2012 ML63 Friday, it has the P30 package as well, I'm new to AMG so be gentle... This is a M157 engine according to the wiki , not sure if it's identical to an E63 but thought it may share some characteristics....

Couple of things...

Seems to be slow to start, aka it doesn't turn over too fast but so far it has always started... normal ?

Little rough when cold, I live in South Florida, so not winter cold.. in a few minutes everything smooths out.... again normal ?

Thanks

Mike

Manofsteelpt 06-05-2017 09:45 AM

Same engine, not sure what you mean by "starts slow"... def a lil rough for the first few mins. Keeping it in C seems to help too.

overboosted 06-05-2017 10:26 AM

I have a 2012 E63 with 36K miles. Starts pretty quick, maybe 1/2 second.
One time it took maybe 1.5 seconds, not sure what happened there.

Pretty smooth from start from my experience.
Maybe you need plugs? How many miles are on yours? When and what was the last service?

mrmotoguzzi00 06-05-2017 10:39 AM

ok slow start... kinda like a car with high compression.... turn the key you can hear it move slowly then i guess the spark hits and it kicks over with a roar... i don't think it turns a full revolution... I'm used to the E550 that starts immediately...

almost like a weak battery ... which maybe it is but want to make sure it's not normal before i pull out the multimeter and dig in under there :)

It's a 2012 Ml63 with 29k miles on it...

carfax shows....

2 battery replacements and an alternator over it's short life...

I may be able to attribute some of that to Florida Heat... seems to kill batteries and maybe the alternator got blamed...

From your replies though it doesn't seem like a quirk of the M157, will check myself with a meter before i bring it in... I like to know the answers before i ask them the questions... :)

Thanks Guys

Mike

mrmotoguzzi00 06-05-2017 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt (Post 7170362)
Same engine, not sure what you mean by "starts slow"... def a lil rough for the first few mins. Keeping it in C seems to help too.

ok that's a big relief that it's normal :)

Big Thanks!

Mike

mrmotoguzzi00 06-05-2017 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00 (Post 7170439)
ok slow start... kinda like a car with high compression.... turn the key you can hear it move slowly then i guess the spark hits and it kicks over with a roar... i don't think it turns a full revolution... I'm used to the E550 that starts immediately...

almost like a weak battery ... which maybe it is but want to make sure it's not normal before i pull out the multimeter and dig in under there :)

It's a 2012 Ml63 with 29k miles on it...

carfax shows....

2 battery replacements and an alternator over it's short life...

I may be able to attribute some of that to Florida Heat... seems to kill batteries and maybe the alternator got blamed...

From your replies though it doesn't seem like a quirk of the M157, will check myself with a meter before i bring it in... I like to know the answers before i ask them the questions... :)

Thanks Guys

Mike

Battery is at 12.85, when you start it voltage hovers around 13.7... so pretty normal....

Went to the dealer and the tech say's it needs a new starter.... hmmm 2012, 29k miles ? it's already had a new starter...

He mentioned something about if it sits for a long time.... i can buy that with a battery but a starter ?

Mike