MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Putting the wagon to use..... (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/672838-putting-wagon-use.html)

Chappy 07-09-2017 09:36 PM

Putting the wagon to use.....

1 Attachment(s)
Family of four
11 days, 4 states, 1200 miles, beach (Florida panhandle), mountains of NC, wedding in Nashville. This little workhorse had plenty of space and loves to gobble up copious stretches of highway!

Silverp30wagon 07-09-2017 10:53 PM

Damn, that's some stuff!! I assume you stuffed things under the rear floor too? I love storing stuff under there. Haha

Have a good time!!

1ForcedBenz 07-10-2017 10:36 AM

Wow, amazing. You used the car as a car.

noodleman 07-10-2017 10:40 AM

Had a great time hauling my family for a road trip too! I totalled around 1k miles too and the car makes those long highway stretches a breeze!

distronic and massage seats were a godsend haha

Chappy 07-10-2017 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon (Post 7204164)
Damn, that's some stuff!! I assume you stuffed things under the rear floor too? I love storing stuff under there. Haha

Have a good time!!

Nothing fits under the rear floor except maybe an umbrella. :rolf:

We're already home - car is ready for a good wash and vac.

We had clothes, etc for rehearsal dinner, wedding, beach wear, shoes galore, gifts, vino....the cargo area holds a TON! The rear DVDs made life in the back quite easy for my youngsters.

Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz (Post 7204406)
Wow, amazing. You used the car as a car.

Precisely. Wagon > SUV :zoom:

Originally Posted by noodleman (Post 7204411)
Had a great time hauling my family for a road trip too! I totalled around 1k miles too and the car makes those long highway stretches a breeze!

distronic and massage seats were a godsend haha

:bow:

Jimminez 07-10-2017 02:18 PM

Though I had taken out for a bit of a road trip earlier this year, just came back from a 1350 mile trip to VA plus some spirited miles in the Blue Ridge area. These wagons are happy with anything you throw at them.

Jan AMG 07-10-2017 03:05 PM

Sounds like a nice road trip. It's great you are not afraid to use the car for what it was built for and not just pampering it while dreaming about putting 23" wheels on it (yes, I'm pointing at you, forum members) :D

christsay 07-10-2017 03:28 PM

Speaking of using a wagon like a wagon... what do you guys do for securing loads? When fully packed it's not a big deal but if there's any room for cargo to shift... it'll shift when the driving gets spirited.

I've got a weather tech cargo liner and cut out access for the tie down rings and have a couple of front runner stratchit's. This seems to work well as the weather tech is grippier than the carpet and if I lash something down with the stratchit's it's not going anywhere.

-chris

Jan AMG 07-10-2017 04:43 PM

Can you please post pictures how do you secure your cargo?

ajs76 07-10-2017 05:08 PM

Seeing this stuff reminds me that it's good to just drive the darn thing. I live like 280 miles round trip from Vancouver and I have to go there for work sometimes. I always debate between flying to save miles or just driving. I LITERALLY GET PAID TO DRIVE and I'm still like "oooh, the miles...I dunno".

Thanks for reminding me that this isn't supposed to be a garage queen.

Chappy 07-10-2017 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ajs76 (Post 7204894)
Seeing this stuff reminds me that it's good to just drive the darn thing. I live like 280 miles round trip from Vancouver and I have to go there for work sometimes. I always debate between flying to save miles or just driving. I LITERALLY GET PAID TO DRIVE and I'm still like "oooh, the miles...I dunno".

Thanks for reminding me that this isn't supposed to be a garage queen.

Yup. I'm averaging about 2k miles per month on the wagon. Really enjoyable driver!

The CLK55 is more the garage queen any more....don't drive it near enough!

Chappy 07-10-2017 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by christsay (Post 7204781)
Speaking of using a wagon like a wagon... what do you guys do for securing loads? When fully packed it's not a big deal but if there's any room for cargo to shift... it'll shift when the driving gets spirited.

I've got a weather tech cargo liner and cut out access for the tie down rings and have a couple of front runner stratchit's. This seems to work well as the weather tech is grippier than the carpet and if I lash something down with the stratchit's it's not going anywhere.

-chris

Pics please :zoom:

I have not yet used the tie downs. Admittedly, some items have just slid around back there! :rolf:

otakki 07-11-2017 01:23 PM

Never understand all the hypes about SUV when most of them never even leave the pavement. A wagon can carry just the same amount with a better ride, handling, driving enjoyment, and mileage.

I would love a non-pano one to be available in the States so I can snatch one up.

Jimminez 07-11-2017 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by otakki (Post 7205811)
Never understand all the hypes about SUV when most of them never even leave the pavement. A wagon can carry just the same amount with a better ride, handling, driving enjoyment, and mileage.

I would love a non-pano one to be available in the States so I can snatch one up.

I too would prefer no panoroof. Shade is always closed and never use sunroof, plus all the added weight.

It's all the moms that want to sit higher because the feel safer and unfortunately it isn't going to go away. There are so many taller vehicles now, the need for them is continuous. :rolleyes:

Silverp30wagon 07-11-2017 01:35 PM

From what I've read. ALL E63 Estate/wagons come with panoramic roof. It was standard equipment. I may be wrong... we can ask my wife. :slap:

That said, I love my roof. Wouldn't want it without and don't care about the weight. What, it'll weigh 4200 instead of 4300lbs? haha

Chappy 07-11-2017 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon (Post 7205831)
From what I've read. ALL E63 Estate/wagons come with panoramic roof. It was standard equipment. I may be wrong... we can ask my wife. :slap:

That said, I love my roof. Wouldn't want it without and don't care about the weight. What, it'll weigh 4200 instead of 4300lbs? haha

Pretty sure all 2014+ U.S. Spec wagons have pano standard.

4300 lbs.??!! Mine needs to go on a diet....mine weighed 4700 with 1/2 tank of fuel. :rolf:

Patric 07-11-2017 11:10 PM

Mine weighs in at 4700 also but does a fine job of hauling lumber, top soil, small fruit trees and anything else that needs a ride. It's a workin wagon.

otakki 07-12-2017 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon (Post 7205831)

Correct. It is standard for the States. Not sure about Canada. ROW gets to pick metal roof, sunroof, or pano. That's expected given the States get the E63 wagon cheaper than ROW.

BlownV8 07-12-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 7204105)
Family of four
11 days, 4 states, 1200 miles, beach (Florida panhandle), mountains of NC, wedding in Nashville. This little workhorse had plenty of space and loves to gobble up copious stretches of highway!

Destin, Pensacola, Seaside, PC?

Chappy 07-12-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 7207175)
Destin, Pensacola, Seaside, PC?

Seacrest Beach on 30A....in between Rosemary Beach and Alys Beach. Just had the car detailed today. Removed road trip snacks (popcorn, crackers, pringles and a few corn nuts) and just a wee bit of sand lol. :zoom:

BlownV8 07-12-2017 07:44 PM

Was on 30A today in Grayton Beach.

EckFe1 07-15-2017 03:21 PM

This is what the wagon looks like if we leave for just a regular weekend into the mountains. Wife, myself, 5 months old daughter.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...af2e939553.jpg

Chappy 07-15-2017 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by EckFe1 (Post 7210513)
This is what the wagon looks like if we leave for just a regular weekend into the mountains. Wife, myself, 5 months old daughter.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...af2e939553.jpg

Haha perfect!!