W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have renntech charge pipe with bov?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
e63s
Anyone have renntech charge pipe with bov?

Notice anything different? Quicker shifts? Anything that the website claims?
Old 10-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
I would like to know as well?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 E63 Wagon
I had it, but I removed it, returned it, and had them flash my car back to stock. The first pipe I received was riddled with manufacturing defects. They admitted they should not have sent me what was clearly substandard work. The second pipe looked much nicer, but didn't fit. The third pipe wasn't as nice as the second, but it fit. I lost something like 50 horsepower, presumably because they provided TiAL the wrong spring pressure and it bled off boost.

Prior to installing their software, I replaced the plugs and set the gap. After installing their software, the car would stumble at WOT. It was particularly evident on the dyno. The car would start bucking, which manifested as little peaks on the power curve.

RENNtech suggested I installed the unit incorrectly, which was laughable considering I pointed out errors in their own installation instructions that they wound up correcting.

Hardware defects notwithstanding, the software isn't up to snuff, and they've been advertising open positions for a software engineer as well as a tuning assistant for quite some time now. That led me to believe they don't have anyone in-house at present who can get the stuff running right. Consequently, I sent everything back.

If you buy it, bear in mind that it's vent-to-atmosphere, so your luxury car is going to sound like a high-schooler's Civic. I noticed nothing different except the sound.
The following users liked this post:
mdotk (11-04-2019)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Don’t buy it.
i bought two. For e63 and ml63.
ml63 didn’t fit, had to weld, didn’t give any increase even with tune
for e63 it fit straight , but didn’t tune it and dyno it.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:01 AM

e63s
Originally Posted by C Smith
I had it, but I removed it, returned it, and had them flash my car back to stock. The first pipe I received was riddled with manufacturing defects. They admitted they should not have sent me what was clearly substandard work. The second pipe looked much nicer, but didn't fit. The third pipe wasn't as nice as the second, but it fit. I lost something like 50 horsepower, presumably because they provided TiAL the wrong spring pressure and it bled off boost.

Prior to installing their software, I replaced the plugs and set the gap. After installing their software, the car would stumble at WOT. It was particularly evident on the dyno. The car would start bucking, which manifested as little peaks on the power curve.

RENNtech suggested I installed the unit incorrectly, which was laughable considering I pointed out errors in their own installation instructions that they wound up correcting.

Hardware defects notwithstanding, the software isn't up to snuff, and they've been advertising open positions for a software engineer as well as a tuning assistant for quite some time now. That led me to believe they don't have anyone in-house at present who can get the stuff running right. Consequently, I sent everything back.

If you buy it, bear in mind that it's vent-to-atmosphere, so your luxury car is going to sound like a high-schooler's Civic. I noticed nothing different except the sound.
Exactly what I was looking for as an answer. Thank you! Won’t be wasting money on it.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:19 PM

E 63 AMG S

Thanks for the detailed reply!

How long ago did you buy them? Did you look into the Weistec pipes? What software did you end up getting ?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by E63 Tony
Exactly what I was looking for as an answer. Thank you! Won't be wasting money on it.
No problem.

Originally Posted by nikon
Thanks for the detailed reply!

How long ago did you buy them? Did you look into the Weistec pipes? What software did you end up getting ?
The saga started about four months ago and ended about two months ago. I didn't look into Weistec because the car doesn't need a blow-off valve. I only went with the RENNtech R1 package that included the valve because the boost is turned up a little higher with that package. The valves were on backorder, so they flashed the ECU first. The car started misbehaving as soon as I installed their software, and they told me that it was because I didn't have the valve. That didn't make sense to me, but I waited and eventually installed the valve, at which point the car still had problems and lost power.

This is what they sent me the first time: https://imgur.com/a/7AXVl

I will say that their customer service was fantastic, and if the products actually worked, I'd be singing their praises. I kept their suspension. It works fine.

The car is back to stock Performance Package specs. I'll be having the car tuned by a friend of mine during his next visit east. I'm over the whole mail-in thing.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:15 PM

E 63 AMG S
No problem.

The saga started about four months ago and ended about two months ago. I didn't look into Weistec because the car doesn't need a blow-off valve. I only went with the RENNtech R1 package that included the valve because the boost is turned up a little higher with that package. The valves were on backorder, so they flashed the ECU first. The car started misbehaving as soon as I installed their software, and they told me that it was because I didn't have the valve. That didn't make sense to me, but I waited and eventually installed the valve, at which point the car still had problems and lost power.

This is what they sent me the first time: https://imgur.com/a/7AXVl

I will say that their customer service was fantastic, and if the products actually worked, I'd be singing their praises. I kept their suspension. It works fine.

The car is back to stock Performance Package specs. I'll be having the car tuned by a friend of mine during his next visit east. I'm over the whole mail-in thing.
Great feedback!

I was on the same wagon as far as, the higher boost with the bov. And hopefully faster shifts and available boost. This is such a bummer! I was really hoping for a reliable tuner with good results as I’ve heard that tunes with other tuners quite often result in rough shifts and other mishaps. Would you happen to be located in the east coast?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
The RT bov have me the idea to make my own. One thing I'll give then credit for is the idea that you only need one since the charge pipes are linked. Since I'm running bigger turbos, I want a bov to eliminate compressor surge. I built my own using a turbosmart raceport bov. Came out perfect and works flawlessly. Holds boost and vents well. Doesn't sound too ricer at all. Here is my diy thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/672355-custom-turbosmart-race-port-bov.html
Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 PM

E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
The RT bov have me the idea to make my own. One thing I'll give then credit for is the idea that you only need one since the charge pipes are linked. Since I'm running bigger turbos, I want a bov to eliminate compressor surge. I built my own using a turbosmart raceport bov. Came out perfect and works flawlessly. Holds boost and vents well. Doesn't sound too ricer at all. Here is my diy thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/672355-custom-turbosmart-race-port-bov.html
How did you decide on the perfect spring in order to retain max boost?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Simple.. Log vacuum with obd PID, which was around 16-20 InHg at idle and low speed operation Then select the right spring which was the blue spring for the race Port BOV. The spring needs to be set to keep the BOV closed at idle, but not too stiff to keep it from venting. That's all.

Just to be clear.. a BOV does nothing to add power, and I haven't the faintest idea why RT was suggesting it would. It's purpose is to prevent compressor stall and surge. Having a BOV doesn't let you run more boost. It does assist in getting back into boost on shifts, but not much with the quickness of the 722.9 MCT. I've only had it vent on the 3-4 and 4-5 shift under hard boost. Then again is only making full boost in 4th.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:55 PM

e63s
Simple.. Log vacuum with obd PID, which was around 16-20 InHg at idle and low speed operation Then select the right spring which was the blue spring for the race Port BOV. The spring needs to be set to keep the BOV closed at idle, but not too stiff to keep it from venting. That's all.

Just to be clear.. a BOV does nothing to add power, and I haven't the faintest idea why RT was suggesting it would. It's purpose is to prevent compressor stall and surge. Having a BOV doesn't let you run more boost. It does assist in getting back into boost on shifts, but not much with the quickness of the 722.9 MCT. I've only had it vent on the 3-4 and 4-5 shift under hard boost. Then again is only making full boost in 4th.
soooo i asked weistec if they can sell me just the red charge pipe with meth bungs and BOV just so i can eliminate compressor surge and they said sure. i won't be running meth, but they only make these pipes with meth bungs, so ill leave the injectors in as they have a check valve so they don't leak boost. so in the future if i ever want to run meth, it'll be easier. would anyone be interested in a group buy for charge pipes only without meth kit? i want to stay away from renntech's since everyone had issues with their pipes
The following users liked this post:
6speeddave (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
soooo i asked weistec if they can sell me just the red charge pipe with meth bungs and BOV just so i can eliminate compressor surge and they said sure. i won't be running meth, but they only make these pipes with meth bungs, so ill leave the injectors in as they have a check valve so they don't leak boost. so in the future if i ever want to run meth, it'll be easier. would anyone be interested in a group buy for charge pipes only without meth kit? i want to stay away from renntech's since everyone had issues with their pipes
This is a good idea , I might be interested, I was also browsing there website and prices are substantially cheaper than Renntech!
Has anyone used Weistecs products ? Tune, there modular down pipes, air filters, meth kit.etc , I like Renntech but I have a slight change of heart after reading the above post
Old 10-15-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
MB
I was just debating this the other day and wanted to ask also as I don't want to run meth - yet at least. Count me in for a group buy assuming its a decent savings.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM

e63s
Originally Posted by 6speeddave
I was just debating this the other day and wanted to ask also as I don't want to run meth - yet at least. Count me in for a group buy assuming its a decent savings.
Cool, good to know. Got two on board.
Yes I have the weistec tune, spark plugs, filters and AMS catless downpipe(which I had big issues with regarding fitment since they’re three piece, giving it’s adjustability configurations to the roof, was annoying to finally get them right after a few hundred heat cycles etc
Old 10-15-2017, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Why not remove the meth nozzles and use NTP plug? I have been toying with the idea of getting a few spare pipes and making a few more if people are interested. The surge valve weistec uses is very small and I suspect does not flow enough CFM for twins. That's why I used the raceport BOV from Turbo Smart.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:32 PM

e63s
Why not remove the meth nozzles and use NTP plug? I have been toying with the idea of getting a few spare pipes and making a few more if people are interested. The surge valve weistec uses is very small and I suspect does not flow enough CFM for twins. That's why I used the raceport BOV from Turbo Smart.
Good point on the plug, will lower the price a little I’m sure. As for the custom kit. I don’t want to drill the manifold to run a vacuum line
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 PM

MB
As for the custom kit. I dont want to drill the manifold to run a vacuum line
+1 to this, only reason I wouldn't want to go the route you did on your CLS, Peter!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:35 PM

e63s
+1 to this, only reason I wouldn't want to go the route you did on your CLS, Peter!
Would you Be interested in a weistec setup? Will be calling them tomorrow to see what pricing would be etc. so far 2 ppl.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 PM

MB
Would you Be interested in a weistec setup? Will be calling them tomorrow to see what pricing would be etc. so far 2 ppl.
Definitely interested. Whether I will do it or not depends. Either way run it by them!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:42 PM

e63s
Definitely interested. Whether I will do it or not depends. Either way run it by them!
Cool, the plug for the two meth bungs will be replaced with this. Something pretty with a head, so when tightening, you don’t loose the plug in the charge pipe going through the other side
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have renntech charge pipe with bov?-photo362.jpg  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
I would be interested on the pipes too. Keep me posted.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 PM

MB
Cool, the plug for the two meth bungs will be replaced with this. Something pretty with a head, so when tightening, you don €™t loose the plug in the charge pipe going through the other side
Perfect.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
It's really a trivial matter to drill the IM. removed the brake booster hose and hooked up a vacuum while I drilled it. Drilled a pilot hole slowly, then enlarged with bigger bit. Lastly ran a thread tap through it. Took about 10 mins, and nothing stayed in the IM. If you ever remove it, just pop a vacuum port cap onto of the barb. Also makes a great place to pickup boost for tuning or a direct gauge.

Does anyone know where the wiestec kit picks up vacuum?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:49 PM

e63s
They are not a fan of a group buy but the price is $1899.99 without the meth bungs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have renntech charge pipe with bov?