Sponsored by:

Best tuners these days?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Best tuners these days?

Ive been wanting to do a tune and midpipes on my car for awhile now but never pulled the trigger, I was really leaning towards Renntech but I not sure there worth it, Weistec really seems to be a better option , price , more available upgrades etc . The last one is a dyno tune but I’m not sure who to really trust , Plus I’m not really looking to max out the engine , just a nice safe and powerful tune . What are you guys using or who would you recommend Weistec or Renntech?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by 10speed
Ive been wanting to do a tune and midpipes on my car for awhile now but never pulled the trigger, I was really leaning towards Renntech but I not sure there worth it, Weistec really seems to be a better option , price , more available upgrades etc . The last one is a dyno tune but I’m not sure who to really trust , Plus I’m not really looking to max out the engine , just a nice safe and powerful tune . What are you guys using or who would you recommend Weistec or Renntech?
I've run Eurocharged on 3 AMGs, all problem free.

No experience with Weistec or Renntech. Weistec had some in house issues at the time I was tuning so avoided them, and Renntech is overpriced for what you get.
The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (11-16-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S 4MATIC
Heard Weistec had issues in the past but I don’t think it was about their tunes. Renntech is great just expensive but can provide warranty. There’s always AMS which I’ve had when I use to own my Evo. You can never go wrong with them. I’m on a Speedriven tune and they build some great Mercedes. I’ve had mine almost a year with zero issues. Will be getting a retune next month for a more aggressive setting.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65, E55, E430
Also on a Spreedriven tune with no issues.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
We can surely help! We have tuned over 20,000 cars, have great pricing, and even offer a warranty on your cars engine from our tuning!

Let me know and I can hook you up with a deal!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63S Wagon, 2005 E500
Stay away from eurocharged. They did my tune and after the third time I overnighted the ecu to them, at my expense, it finally started. Once it finally ran, it pinged bad. I am now using a custom dyno tune and haven't even bothered trying to get my money back. Lesson learned.... Another guy in my group had Eurocharged tune and it pinged, he sent it back for a "less aggressive tune" and it makes less power than stock. Then went to the same tuner I went to. Sorry to be so negative but wish in would have known all this when I started. Pm me and I can possibly help you get in contact with my tuner. He just tuned a 2018 E63 for New York
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon
Stay away from eurocharged. They did my tune and after the third time I overnighted the ecu to them, at my expense, it finally started. Once it finally ran, it pinged bad. I am now using a custom dyno tune and haven't even bothered trying to get my money back. Lesson learned.... Another guy in my group had Eurocharged tune and it pinged, he sent it back for a "less aggressive tune" and it makes less power than stock. Then went to the same tuner I went to. Sorry to be so negative but wish in would have known all this when I started. Pm me and I can possibly help you get in contact with my tuner. He just tuned a 2018 E63 for New York
Eurocharged has been one of the most consistently praised vendors on this forum with almost no history of issues and always quick to fix problems when they do occur. That outcome is pretty surprising to me especially needing to ship the ecu multiple times to even get an off the shelf tune working.

When I was looking at vendors my thinking was this:
Weistec - heard about issues so I passed
Renntech - seemed underpowered
AMS - probably legit but never goes on sale
Race Chip - felt too much like black magic/just turn up boost to max and let the ECU figure it out. scared me.

I've been happy with Eurocharged but I also didn't have an custom tuners locally that could hook it up to a dyno and read charts etc. so I was stuck with off the shelf. I also don't track etc. I just want more oomph when I hit it cruising around town. Good enough for me!
Amg63- (11-16-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 458 Likes on 202 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
damn the whole situation sucks!! I do understand every situation is different. For every 100 perfect tunes there will be 1 bad tune. It’s the law of averages. I do agree they should pay for shipping charges until the problem was rectified. Maybe the ecu didn’t take well idk. My personal experience was great. Sent my ecu out, got it back same week. Price was much much better then renntech, weistec etc so for me it was a no brainer. Dynoed 589whp 643wtq, at that was stage 1. I’m sorry I’m not paying 2500 + for a tune, even if it would yield me 20-40hp more. These tunes are in reality close to each other.. check my post I even have a video on the dyno car runs perfect. I haven’t even changed my plugs
Old 10-19-2017, 09:51 AM
sjb

Received 174 Likes on 64 Posts
S213 E63
RENNtech. 👍🏼
Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Tough question...but I'll drop some pennies here. Note: I've only the used the following tunes, and have no direct knowledge of any others, so keep that in mind. There may be equally great or better options out there. If safe and powerful is what you are looking for, there are probably many options. I would consider Renntech to be more on the safe side, having had two of their tunes on this car. If you want safe and powerful, I would say get the Eurocharged Stage 2 tune, and then if you want more top end, and have access to higher octane fuel, get a custom tune for, well, higher octane...top end is fun. If you want a safe and very powerful tune, and want a 1.6-1.7 60ft for racing/etc, and strong top end, go to Kevin Baldi.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 PM

E63s
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
Tough question...but I'll drop some pennies here. Note: I've only the used the following tunes, and have no direct knowledge of any others, so keep that in mind. There may be equally great or better options out there. If safe and powerful is what you are looking for, there are probably many options. I would consider Renntech to be more on the safe side, having had two of their tunes on this car. If you want safe and powerful, I would say get the Eurocharged Stage 2 tune, and then if you want more top end, and have access to higher octane fuel, get a custom tune for, well, higher octane...top end is fun. If you want a safe and very powerful tune, and want a 1.6-1.7 60ft for racing/etc, and strong top end, go to Kevin Baldi.
Yeah, it’s a tough question it’s very hard to get a direct answer of who and what to use , it’s so funny you said Kevin Baldi , someone gave me his number awhile ago that I met at a meet , maybe this is a sign, he is located in New Jersey, I might have to give him a call and pick his brain
Old 10-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Yeah, it’s a tough question it’s very hard to get a direct answer of who and what to use , it’s so funny you said Kevin Baldi , someone gave me his number awhile ago that I met at a meet , maybe this is a sign, he is located in New Jersey, I might have to give him a call and pick his brain
Cool deal; yeah, chat with him. After you do, hit me up and I can provide you with my experience, which is positive (love the performance and driveability). The car does behave differently with the aggressive map I have from him, versus the other tunes I tried. Pretty sure it's a torque mgmt thing, as this map actually gets tons of torque granted in first and second gears, whereas none of the other tunes I had would do so. If driving in a relaxed manner or at 100%, it feels flawless and super smooth, but with tons of power available. If somewhere in between, it's like the ecu is trying to decide whether or not to grant the torque request...is it an allowable value, or too high, etc? Hard to explain here, but happy to chat with you about it. edit: just have to learn how to drive it again....i don't swap ecus really anymore...i use the baldi tune 99% of the time.

Last edited by Ralcbah; 10-19-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Silverp30wagon (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
How much would a custom tune by ams cost?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
Cool deal; yeah, chat with him. After you do, hit me up and I can provide you with my experience, which is positive (love the performance and driveability). The car does behave differently with the aggressive map I have from him, versus the other tunes I tried. Pretty sure it's a torque mgmt thing, as this map actually gets tons of torque granted in first and second gears, whereas none of the other tunes I had would do so. If driving in a relaxed manner or at 100%, it feels flawless and super smooth, but with tons of power available. If somewhere in between, it's like the ecu is trying to decide whether or not to grant the torque request...is it an allowable value, or too high, etc? Hard to explain here, but happy to chat with you about it. edit: just have to learn how to drive it again....i don't swap ecus really anymore...i use the baldi tune 99% of the time.

Great feedback! Thank You!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63S Wagon, 2005 E500
I'd be interested in talking to you as well. My car dyno'd 585whp/696wtq on California 91 octane. I have some issues with what I feel are "torque management" as well and would love to see if it's what you are experiencing as well. I'll PM you my number.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stage 3 63
Eurocharged
Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 PM

E63s
I'd be interested in talking to you as well. My car dyno'd 585whp/696wtq on California 91 octane. I have some issues with what I feel are "torque management" as well and would love to see if it's what you are experiencing as well. I'll PM you my number.
Your making good power on 91, who did you tune with?
Im not really sure what’s happening or what you feel with torque management whats the problem ?

Last edited by 10speed; 10-19-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Your making good power on 91, who did you tune with?
Im not really sure what’s happening or what you feel with torque management whats the problem ?
I've had 4 different AMGs tuned by Eurocharged...never a problem. Obviously an in person dyno tune will always win out, but for box tunes they are best value and service.
Amg63- (11-16-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by ajs76
Eurocharged has been one of the most consistently praised vendors on this forum with almost no history of issues and always quick to fix problems when they do occur. That outcome is pretty surprising to me especially needing to ship the ecu multiple times to even get an off the shelf tune working.

When I was looking at vendors my thinking was this:
Weistec - heard about issues so I passed
Renntech - seemed underpowered
AMS - probably legit but never goes on sale
Race Chip - felt too much like black magic/just turn up boost to max and let the ECU figure it out. scared me.

I've been happy with Eurocharged but I also didn't have an custom tuners locally that could hook it up to a dyno and read charts etc. so I was stuck with off the shelf. I also don't track etc. I just want more oomph when I hit it cruising around town. Good enough for me!
one other comment about race chip / piggy back tunes is while those devices are plug / play in theory, they are challenging to install and it's very easy to damage the ECU plug or other sensors it plugs into as you remove or install it...... I just went through this removing the race chip to take in for oil change and damaged the cam shaft sensor which triggered a cel and had to be replaced (thankfully under warranty). Perhaps user error in my removing of the device but I'm now of the opinion that a canned tune from EC would probably have been safer / easier. Just my 2c
Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
Eurocharged for sure... They are the ONLY tuner who actually has a warranty for their tunes. Plus they make massive power and the customer service is great. 2nd to none...

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-19-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Audi A4, 2017 Audi Q7
For those with N/A cars, do you feel the money is worth tuning it? When I see 20hp for $1,200.. I just wonder if the tune is really that noticeable over stock ECU? It's definitely one of our only options with N/A.. but I'm debating some new rollers or a tune. I will end up doing both, but for the time being it's one or the other.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 PM

E63s
Thanks, I’m going to contact Kevin this week to see what he says, are you haveing torque management issues with Kevin Baldi tune ?

Last edited by 10speed; 10-19-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 458 Likes on 202 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
Thanks, I’m going to contact Kevin this week to see what he says, are you have torque management issues with Kevin Baldi tune ?
thats my only issue with this car. I want to come off the line like a bat out of hell. Let me decide how much pedal I want to throw at it. If I break something then that’s on me. . This tq management kills some fun. Usually the first thing that goes would be axels if anything. It’s the weakest link in the equation . If we can get the power we want without this tq management. I’m sure we would have 10.9 cars all day. **** maybe even 10.7 with stage 2 tunes and no cats
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 PM

E63s
Originally Posted by Cifdig
thats my only issue with this car. I want to come off the line like a bat out of hell. Let me decide how much pedal I want to throw at it. If I break something then that’s on me. . This tq management kills some fun. Usually the first thing that goes would be axels if anything. It’s the weakest link in the equation . If we can get the power we want without this tq management. I’m sure we would have 10.9 cars all day. **** maybe even 10.7 with stage 2 tunes and no cats
I was checking Kevin’s instagram he did do a white E63s that ran a 10.68 on stock turbos , that same car was getting a pure turbo install not sure what it did after that ,

I know what you mean about the torque management, yeah when launched these cars slug out of the hole rather than instantly engage , like ex.GTRS or even Audi’s slam out of the hole it would be great to get around that definitely knock some time off
Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 PM

E63s
Originally Posted by DavesMeanE's
Eurocharged for sure... They are the ONLY tuner who actually has a warranty for their tunes. Plus they make massive power and the customer service is great. 2nd to none...

Thanks

Dave
Do you have a Eurocharged tune ? I did notice they do have the most reasonable tune , do you have any dyno #s

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.