Sponsored by:

tap/knock/shock on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S212 E63 AMG S Wagon
tap/knock/shock on steering wheel

I purchased 2014 E63 with less than 8000miles on it. It was a corporate fleet at an Mercedes dealer in Georgia, possibly test car or the owner of the dealer driving it. Clean title with CarFax showing no accident reported. The car is great, but noticed light shock, or tapping feel on the steering wheel 2-3 times after accelerating from stop to 30-40 mph and start coasting. The tapping light shocks feel like as if you have a wooden rod in your hand and someone is hitting the other end of the rod with another wooden rod. It does not happen all the time, but every so often that I feel it few times in one driving session. It never happens while I am accelerating, but come after coasting and the speed start to come down a bit. Typically, you start your car after a traffic stop and accelerating to 40-45 mph and step off the foot from gas and right after the car start coasting. Because it is right at where the acceleration goes into coasting, the car experience positive G switching to reverse G. The tappings I feel on the steering wheel are often 3 times and they come with 1/3-1/2 seconds interval in the same rhythm. I wonder if there is something wrong with one of front wheel bearings, but the tapping/light shocks do not continue. It gives 2 or 3 taps to the steering wheel and gone. It could be a front wheel shaft vibrating at certain speed or sim or something not fitting well. The tapping feel "tapping" like shock, but them must be more like a set of rhythmical short vibrations somewhere on the steering system. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
If you're driving over a white/yellow line on the road when this happens, it's your lane departure warning system - you should see the icon in the right side of your speedo display screen.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:11 PM

S212 E63 AMG S Wagon
Thanks for the reply. I was not driving over a white/yellow line when it happened. I do not believe it was lane departure warning. It is more like short burst of vibration in rhythm that feel like tapping or clicking on steering wheel. It happens after foot off gas to start coasting, and mostly after end of slight turn. I am almost convinced that it is coming from front wheel bearing on one side. You know how we feel all road surface information on steering wheel even one of wheels drive on a pebble. It's that direct feel that lead me to believe that something is vibrating within the steering system. I will let a Mercedes mechanic drive my car and hope that happens again while he drives.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 PM

S212 E63 AMG S Wagon
Originally Posted by amgggg...
If you're driving over a white/yellow line on the road when this happens, it's your lane departure warning system - you should see the icon in the right side of your speedo display screen.
amgggg... After checking again and monitoring the vibrations while driving, I find that it is indeed the "lane departure warning system" activating. The lines on road in the area I drive are every uneven and I did not think the warning system was working on such faded lines, but it was. Thanks for your insight.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 E63S Steel Grey/Beige Nappa, Lexus GX470, Honda Accord
Originally Posted by zaburo
amgggg... After checking again and monitoring the vibrations while driving, I find that it is indeed the "lane departure warning system" activating. The lines on road in the area I drive are every uneven and I did not think the warning system was working on such faded lines, but it was. Thanks for your insight.
Glad that was all it was. I was so annoyed driving my car home from the dealership that I turned that feature off and haven't tried it since.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by EddieK
Glad that was all it was. I was so annoyed driving my car home from the dealership that I turned that feature off and haven't tried it since.
Same here....turned mine off as well.