W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather dashboard (or not)?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Leather dashboard (or not)?

I have searched but not found an answer. This is my first MB after a life in the BMW and Audi worlds.
Are our dashboards actually covered by leather or is it synthetic leather? I know it looks like leather and feels like leather, but does anyone know?
Asking for two reasons:

1. On other German brands (Audi and BMW) they switched to synthetic leather in the 200x years due to plenty of dashboard shrinkage issues. I had an A8 with that exact problem, the entire dashboard replaced under warranty. Of course you can (in some markets) still order a true leather dash. Note that even the Audi and BMWs "full leather" packages actually no longer has leather on the dash (in the US)
2. From a detailing perspective that changes what product to use of course.

Honestly, personally I'm fine with the synthetic leather since it is so much more durable and you never touch it anyhow (i.e. no need for the material to breathe)
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Correct. It's known as MBTex in the States and is a synthetic material. Personally, I would like this material to be available as an option for all surfaces besides the area next to the glass, because I'm not the kind of person who likes to do cosmetic maintenace on cars.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by otakki
Correct. It's known as MBTex in the States and is a synthetic material. Personally, I would like this material to be available as an option for all surfaces besides the area next to the glass, because I'm not the kind of person who likes to do cosmetic maintenace on cars.
Thank you very much - appreciated!
Old 05-08-2021, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 sl 65
Same story , different car

About three years ago, I had a 2006 sl-65 with about 12k miles. The dashboard covering started separating and developed a number of raised bumps. The local dealer says the dashboard needs to be replaced. This is not covered under warranty and there are no replacement parts available on the planet and that ‘I’ll have to live with’ it. The dealer then sent the car to a local upholstery shop. The local shop did an outstanding job of repairing the damage. No charge from the dealer.
Fast forward to last week, I now have a 2017 sl-65. Same problem with dashboard. Took it to the to the same dealer. Now, $9,700 to replace the dashboard, not covered under warranty. Yesterday I was informed , no replacements available, can have It repaired locally for $3,400. No warranty.
Not acceptable. Waiting for an appeal with a better answer.
like everyone else on this thread, both cars are kept under a cover in an air conditioned garage.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I’ll
Old 05-08-2021, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Interesting you would post this on the W212 forum? Either way, same thing happened to my SL. Used one in perfect condition was sourced on Ebay.