Sponsored by:

Mismatched front & rear brake rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Mismatched front & rear brake rotors

My wagon is due for major brake work i.e., pads + rotors, and I want to upgrade. But I'm having a hard time with the rear rotors from Girodisc or RB (which include pads mind you) being $1300 per set, whereas they're around $200-300 for either OEM or genuine MB...

Other than appoearance, is there any technical reason for not going with mismatched front & rear?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
The only thing that comes to mind with regards to this subject (through my own interweb research for my previous vehicles) if brake bias. Supposedly, when they make your car all components are picked and designed to work in harmony. Then comes the gearheads and "let's put a BBK in this!... but I only have the $ to do the front" or "I just want the looks of those huge brake rotors and calipers up front"... and all balance is voided. Forums discussions went about how "larger brakes" up front will cause greater nose dive when applying brakes and so on (which would sorta make sense if you ask me). I know you are not talking about BBK's, but, this is a good approximation. And FWIW, I did actually have BBK in my previous car. A little WRX. 300WHP on a 3200lb body. 14" 6 pod Rotora's up front and STI OEM Single piston Brembo's out back. Missmatched. Car stopped A LOT harder than stock... but I never felt any exaggerated nose diving upon hard braking. Then again... there was those stiff coilovers to influence the equation.
The following users liked this post:
amgggg... (05-25-2018)