Sponsored by:

EBC Red Pads vs. RADO pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63, LS600
EBC Red Pads vs. RADO pads

About 6 months ago I needed to change out my brakes on my E63. It was a toss up between the EBC pads and the RADO pads. I wanted the RADO pads but they were a lot more expensive than the EBC pads. I talked to the shop whom I was getting the EBC pads from and was having them installed and they told me that they are the exact same pad so I bought the EBC pads. I've had the RADO pads on an older car and was happy with them but if I can get the same part at a lower price, why not.

After getting the pads I was a little dissappointed in the performance. The dust was a lot less but the 60MPH-0MPH braking distance was over 20-30' longer than I tested when stock. Not only was it longer than stock, it was longer than worn out stock pads and rotors. They also squeaked occasionally.

I contacted World Motorsports and complained about the performance of the pads and checked to see if they had any insight because I remember tham working better in the past. Was it possible that the install was wrong.

What I found out is that the RADO pads and the EBC pads are nowhere close to the same product like I was told. It was explained to me that they had the RADO pads manufactured by a very well known and expensive brake pad manufacturer in Japan. The same manufacturer is used by almost every NASCAR team even though they do not sponsor any of the teams. They also explained that they have had these pads available for years before EBC even had a pad for this car available.

I ended up buying another set of the RADO pads. I am glad I did. The car now stops 15-20' shorter from 60 than the stock pads and makes virtually no dust. He also explained to me how these pads have incredible cold bite and do not begin to fade until after a much higher temperature than the competitions pads (I assume he is talking about the EBC pads).

I'm very happy with my brakes again, they perform great, have absolutely no noticeable brake dust after 2 weeks and have been quiet. If you are interested in my opinion, the RADO pads are well worth the price. Why would anyone be interested in installing a pad on the car that performs worse than stock?

Last edited by Jshinone; 06-12-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Jshinone
About 6 months ago I needed to change out my brakes on my E63. It was a toss up between the EBC pads and the RADO pads. I wanted the RADO pads but they were a lot more expensive than the EBC pads. I talked to the shop whom I was getting the EBC pads from and was having them installed and they told me that they are the exact same pad so I bought the EBC pads. I've had the RADO pads on an older car and was happy with them but if I can get the same part at a lower price, why not.

After getting the pads I was a little dissappointed in the performance. The dust was a lot less but the 60MPH-0MPH braking distance was over 20-30' longer than I tested when stock. Not only was it longer than stock, it was longer than worn out stock pads and rotors. They also squeaked occasionally.

I contacted World Motorsports and complained about the performance of the pads and checked to see if they had any insight because I remember tham working better in the past. Was it possible that the install was wrong.

What I found out is that the RADO pads and the EBC pads are nowhere close to the same product like I was told. It was explained to me that they had the RADO pads manufactured by a very well known and expensive brake pad manufacturer in Japan. The same manufacturer is used by almost every NASCAR team even though they do not sponsor any of the teams. They also explained that they have had these pads available for years before EBC even had a pad for this car available.

I ended up buying another set of the RADO pads. I am glad I did. The car now stops 15-20' shorter from 60 than the stock pads and makes virtually no dust. He also explained to me how these pads have incredible cold bite and do not begin to fade until after a much higher temperature than the competitions pads (I assume he is talking about the EBC pads).

I'm very happy with my brakes again, they perform great, have absolutely no noticeable brake dust after 2 weeks and have been quiet. If you are interested in my opinion, the RADO pads are well worth the price. Why would anyone be interested in installing a pad on the car that performs worse than stock?
The Rado pads were my favorite over OEM pads because of the performance and much much less brake dust, HOWEVER don't deal with Craig Paisley at World Motosport, very reasonable guy.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
I have the EBC reds, no squeaks or sounds, less dust and no degradation in stopping distances
Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM

E63, LS600
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
The Rado pads were my favorite over OEM pads because of the performance and much much less brake dust, HOWEVER don't deal with Craig Paisley at World Motosport, very reasonable guy.
I didn't deal with anyone, I just ordered them online. It was pretty easy and I had them in a couple of days.

LINK TO SITE WITH RADO PADS

Originally Posted by kponti
I have the EBC reds, no squeaks or sounds, less dust and no degradation in stopping distances
I'm not sure I would have really been able to tell the difference. I actually went ahead and tested it beforehand and afterwards and was shocked at what I found. I thought I learned my lesson about getting what I pay for a long time ago but I guess I have more learning to do, LOL. I'm glad you're happy with them though, I sure wish I had been.
The following users liked this post:
S63AMG888 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by kponti
I second this!! had mine for months ,great initial bite better than stock ,stops really hard I can put you through the windshield lol,no squeals at all super quiet and about 75% less dust than stock ,EBC RED Ceramic pads.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
The website for the RADO pads is not working for me, also when attempting to find some from google all the links are not working. Does anyone have another source for those pads? Or an alternative? I'm looking for some entry level track pads with moderate to low dust if possible.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
I just bought Rado pads front & rear along with Girodisc rotors from Craig at World Motorsport - was actually a great guy to deal with. What you wrote above seems contradictory?

Last edited by amgggg...; 06-14-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 111 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by amgggg...
I just bought Rado pads front & rear along with Girodisc rotors from Craing at World Motorsport - was actually a great guy to deal with. What you wrote above seems contradictory?
Do you have the part number for front and back? Really tired of the brake dust and some squealing on the OEM pads. Or the link to purchase them.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
I just bought Rado pads front & rear along with Girodisc rotors from Craing at World Motorsport - was actually a great guy to deal with. What you wrote above seems contradictory?
The product was great, but the buying experience was not so much for me with Craig. I don't want to get into the specifics of it, but a bad experience for me. If you read some of my responds, I'm recommending people to buy the Rado pads.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 AM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by Ed99

Do you have the part number for front and back? Really tired of the brake dust and some squealing on the OEM pads. Or the link to purchase them.
Fronts: http://www.world-motorsports.com/rad...rake-pads.html
Rears: http://www.world-motorsports.com/rad...ake-pads.html#

I had to bed my pads in hard i.e., some smoking at front brakes when slowing down after 7 of 10 cycles. First bedding-in run I wasn't braking hard enough and guess I glazed the pads so they squealed on me. You have to find a safe spot where you can get the car up to at least 60-70mph and down to about 10mph WITHOUT coming to a stop, at least 8 times...and then plenty of open road to cool them off in order to get the desired transfer layer of brake pad material onto the rotor. That process is what stops the squealing provided the pads are installed in the calipers correctly.

My OEM pads lasted almost 50k miles and had plenty left on them. So if the Rados wear even longer like they're supposed to I won't need to change them for a good long time. I think the Girodisc rotors are harder than the OEMs too, so the pads shouldn't eat them away too much. Bottom line is these are serious street pads.

Last edited by amgggg...; 06-14-2018 at 07:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by amgggg...:
CodySaurus (06-14-2018), Ed99 (06-16-2018), S63AMG888 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:39 PM

E63s
Nice! at least they gave you the black hats
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 PM

2015 e63s amg
I ordered the Rado pads. Car has 25k miles. Can I replace just the pads or do rotors need to be replaced too. Some people on here say they changed rotors at 30k. Is this necessary? I would rather change pads only since car has 25k
Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 PM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
When I got my 2012 CPO it had 25k miles and the dealer had just changed the pads front & rear as part of the certification checklist. Rotors were not changed. But dealers always tell you that pads & rotors require changing at the same time...when it's not on their dime.

As long as the rotors are in good shape i.e., no deep grooves or warping and above the min. thickness, no reason they can't be used w/ new pads.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by 10speed
Nice! at least they gave you the black hats
Thanks. Hats are actually the standard Girodisc blue, guess it just looks different depending on the lighting/camera.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM

E63s
Thanks. Hats are actually the standard Girodisc blue, guess it just looks different depending on the lighting/camera.
Wow really! Both pics the hats look so dark, I’ve seen other pics of the giro disc hats and they look like a baby blue color