MRG Ti Studs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
MRG Ti Studs

First off, Happy Father's Day to all!

Have been sitting on these since November . Threw the summer shoes on and didn't want to do this at the same time just to make sure the upgraded (in size) wheel/tire combo was not rubbing or making weird noises (this way it'd be easier to isolate the source of any possible noise). Anyhow.

Some simple iPhone pics (I apologize for the giant pics. I'll try to remember to choose "medium": next time):
MRG Ti Studs-vh6kenc.jpg
MRG Ti Studs-zl8imyz.jpg
MRG Ti Studs-eu7ohzj.jpg
MRG Ti Studs-9qeltpf.jpg
MRG Ti Studs-uuf7ycb.jpg

So far, I am pretty happy with how they look. This is my first Euro car and I had never dealt with wheel bolts before. My brother used to drive an M3 and I used to see him sorta struggle changing his wheels; So, the first aftermarket accessory I bought for this car was this set of studs. Now, having dealt with the bolts and spacers and NOW these studs with the same spacers... I think that it was somewhat easier to mount the wheels without the studs, even when dealing with spacers (which in my case they are just 3mm). On a slightly different note; I did notice, the first time I pulled the OEM wheels off, that some of the wheel bolts were pretty loose and some were pretty tight. I will chalk that one up to the "oh so great" mechanics at the dealership I picked up the car from. I personally torqued the summer wheels down to 100 lb/ft with OE wheel bolts about a month ago. Today, when taking them off, they didn't seem THAT tight (but at least they all felt to be at the same tightness). Are wheel bolts more prone to loosening up? I don't recall ever experiencing this sorta thing before.

Bonus info (lol): Wheel woolies don't fit between the front rotor and the wheel (19")... so, don't waste your $.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Nice. I've been contemplating those too. Which length did you go with?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
Glad to hear a positive review on these. Have been debating on getting them myself. They look sharp, can we see a picture of the wheel on the car btw?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2012 E63 AMG PP
They look pretty good. How do you like the BC Forged rims. What size did you go with? I just got a quote on some but have been waiting to pull the trigger.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by T_Cob
They look pretty good. How do you like the BC Forged rims. What size did you go with? I just got a quote on some but have been waiting to pull the trigger.
Quality and finish are great on the BC Forged. I run them on my Q7 and may get a set of 19" for my wagon. Hard to be price for custom wheels made and delivered within 5 weeks.

The following users liked this post:
T_Cob (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 02:08 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by Jimminez
Nice. I've been contemplating those too. Which length did you go with?
These I believe are the 75mm. The shorter ones. I think they are good for up o 10mm spacers.

Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
Glad to hear a positive review on these. Have been debating on getting them myself. They look sharp, can we see a picture of the wheel on the car btw?
One thing I neglected to mention was... while mounting the driver's side wheel back on... the damn thing kinda got jammed a lil' (the wheel went in a bit slanted) and the thread on one of the studs got slightly damaged. Material came off. I carefully threaded the nut on and took it off. Made sure there was no metal filings and did final torquing. So... these aren't very tough. As for additional shots... I will have to see what else I have on my phone. Will update later tonight.

Originally Posted by T_Cob
Thanks. I like them so far. These are 19x9.5 and 19x10.5.
CerBErusM113 (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 MB E63 AMG
torque

Originally Posted by Rehabguy
These I believe are the 75mm. The shorter ones. I think they are good for up o 10mm spacers.

One thing I neglected to mention was... while mounting the driver's side wheel back on... the damn thing kinda got jammed a lil' (the wheel went in a bit slanted) and the thread on one of the studs got slightly damaged. Material came off. I carefully threaded the nut on and took it off. Made sure there was no metal filings and did final torquing. So... these aren't very tough. As for additional shots... I will have to see what else I have on my phone. Will update later tonight.

Thanks. I like them so far. These are 19x9.5 and 19x10.5.
One thing you may want to do is to use high strength thread locker. Do one stud at a time let them set for good while and then drive 5o mi. and re torque. Even if you don't use thread locker re torque anyway. They sure are pretty.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
You may want to research galvanic corrosion between titanium and steel (wheel hub). Also, these titanium wheel studs are mostly for show. Take a look over on Bimmerpost if you want more in-depth analysis, and reported failures on titanium studs in general. The kit looks awesome, but I personally wouldn’t run it.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:51 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
can we see a picture of the wheel on the car btw?
MRG Ti Studs-pum6nll.jpg

Only one I took. Hope this helps. Btw...my car is not at that ride height. That's right after I dropped it back down and hadn't started the car yet... but it gives me evil thoughts... lol!
CerBErusM113 (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by AMG Rick
One thing you may want to do is to use high strength thread locker. Do one stud at a time let them set for good while and then drive 5o mi. and re torque. Even if you don't use thread locker re torque anyway. They sure are pretty.
Thanks. I used blue loctite. Will re-torque in a week or so
Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
You may want to research galvanic corrosion between titanium and steel (wheel hub). Also, these titanium wheel studs are mostly for show. Take a look over on Bimmerpost if you want more in-depth analysis, and reported failures on titanium studs in general. The kit looks awesome, but I personally wouldn’t run it.
Thank you for bringing this up. I had never heard of this before. I am aware, however, that some metals don't work well together. I will see what it all looks like when it comes time to throw the winters back on.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Figured I'd paste this link since this thread over at Bimmerpost as it is only a couple days old. Post #4 is the most important.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1510538
Old 06-30-2018, 11:13 AM

E63S
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
Figured I'd paste this link since this thread over at Bimmerpost as it is only a couple days old. Post #4 is the most important.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1510538
Thanks again for your input. This is pretty much the same info and evidence I was able to find after your previous post. I will also point out what was posted after post #4... not much other info is offered with regards to the failure story. I get all the technical info and I take it for what it's worth (I mean, what am I gonna say? I am not a scientist who studies the properties of metals), but, for all we know, this guy could have thrown on those wheels and zipped them on with an impact gun and might have done many wheel swaps the same way fatiguing the hardware (which you are not supposed to do with Al or Ti hardware)... just saying. Anyhow, FWIW, I barely drive this car and when I do it's not driven hard (I certainly have never even attempted launch mode). Should these fail on me (and should I survive), I will be sure to launch my own anti Ti wheel hardware campaign here on MBWorld