MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   E63 AMG S getting the Pure Turbo upgrade :-) (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/713496-e63-amg-s-getting-pure-turbo-upgrade.html)

727E63AMG 07-11-2018 02:56 AM

E63 AMG S getting the Pure Turbo upgrade :-)

Been waiting for a while now...finally get to do it :naughty:
Car is in the shop and we're waiting to get the Turbos back from PureTurbo. So far I did catless down pipes udp cold air spacer kit and Eurocharged stage 2 tune...….I have 2 different tunes , one for 91 octane( highest available where I live) and the other one for race gas 105 Octane...will include a pic of the race gas dyno (dyno pack)
I live in Boise Idaho and the altitude is 2500-2700 ft so far on race gas I was able to do 11.24 @ 127mph ...fastest trap speed was 129 mph ...my best 60ft was 1.77 . The best results I get when brake boosting and traction off.. hope to get into the high 10s with this upgrade...
Most likely I will have to fly Jerry from Eurocharged out to Boise to tune my car or take it down to TX...we'll see what the best option is...
car should be done in 2-3 weeks or so.....depending on Jerry's schedule :-)
Future plans (2-3 months form now) is to get the clutch pack installed and the Renntech TCU tune
I will be taking the car to TX 2K19...
will keep updating the thread and post more pics ...will also have some vids on my instagram @lazymaniacofficialhttps://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...082a5f8a41.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8118e7050b.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f50034e037.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5f186016e6.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3bc2c93de9.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d247ed5edf.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...70ad7544dd.jpg

shardul 07-11-2018 09:47 AM

You should get a set of our turbo blankets.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/DAcmOC.jpg

kponti 07-11-2018 09:50 AM

What is the dyno off? Just tune?

chiromikey 07-11-2018 11:56 AM

Hopefully you’ll be the first to do a turbo upgrade and not dump the car right after! It probably helps that you’re being realistic on what to expect because it’s sad that we can only expect mid to high 10s out of such a big hp increase on the dyno. Good luck brotha!!

727E63AMG 07-11-2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7499511)
Hopefully you’ll be the first to do a turbo upgrade and not dump the car right after! It probably helps that you’re being realistic on what to expect because it’s sad that we can only expect mid to high 10s out of such a big hp increase on the dyno. Good luck brotha!!

Thx bro,
Our tranny is the biggest problem with 1/4 mile times. Thats why I want to do the Renntech tcu tune after I install the clutch packs...they claim up to 3 tenths in the quarter mile...if thats the case the 60ft should be low 1.6 or high 1.5x ...and with those 60 ft we should be able to get decen 1/4 mile times..only thing thats going to hold me back is the altitude up here but I will be going to all kinds of events and trying to puah the car to the limit.

727E63AMG 07-11-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by kponti (Post 7499401)
What is the dyno off? Just tune?

race gas tune 105 octane, down pipes and udp intake spacers and filters.

T_Cob 07-11-2018 04:15 PM

Subscribed

chiromikey 07-11-2018 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 727E63AMG (Post 7499628)
Thx bro,
Our tranny is the biggest problem with 1/4 mile times. Thats why I want to do the Renntech tcu tune after I install the clutch packs...they claim up to 3 tenths in the quarter mile...if thats the case the 60ft should be low 1.6 or high 1.5x ...and with those 60 ft we should be able to get decen 1/4 mile times..only thing thats going to hold me back is the altitude up here but I will be going to all kinds of events and trying to puah the car to the limit.

What Renntech claims and what’s been produced are two entirely different things. If you get their TCU tune make sure to document before and after and even get them to include a refund if it doesn’t do what they claim. Their 3/10s claim is from stock turbo stage 1 car so your results should be even better if they’re not full of sh*t.

PeterUbers 07-11-2018 06:04 PM

1.5x 60ft..... at that point you'll snap something or go into limp mode? I keep seeing visions of Fairbirds launch ... then he snapped his drive shaft??

but I'm rooting for you and hope you find what you're looking for

kudos for documenting the progress!

im always curious ... for all the cash you'll spend why not just get a w213amg?

Boostaddict 07-11-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 7499839)
m always curious ... for all the cash you'll spend why not just get a w213amg?

Uggh W213s do not do it for me between the exterior/interior styling and the small displacement motor. The one thing that I would be jealous of is the tranny though
For sure it sucks that the W212 is limited big time by the transmission. 1.7-1.8 60 ft times with the stock tranny will never produce crazy fast results. It’s very frustrating!

PeterUbers 07-11-2018 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Boostaddict (Post 7499852)

Uggh W213s do not do it for me between the exterior/interior styling and the small displacement motor. The one thing that I would be jealous of is the tranny though
For sure it sucks that the W212 is limited big time by the transmission. 1.7-1.8 60 ft times with the stock tranny will never produce crazy fast results. It’s very frustrating!

well put. I would also be jealous of a b2b app warranty with all that stock power

chiromikey 07-11-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Boostaddict (Post 7499852)

Their tranny is essentially the same with two extra gears so don’t expect them to be putting up any significantly better 60ft times.

Boostaddict 07-11-2018 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7499899)

Their tranny is essentially the same with two extra gears so don’t expect them to be putting up any significantly better 60ft times.

Is that fact? I thought it was a whole new unit and an actual dual clutch tranny. I've seen one launch at the track and it took off like a bat out of hell, had to of been a 1.6x 60 foot. I drove one and it felt really good, shifted and behaved similar to the Porsche PDK that I had in three 911's over the years. The multi clutch thing in these W212's is nothing close to a PDK; my main gripe is during daily driving it just can't seem to predict what gear it should be up or down shifting to at the right time

727E63AMG 07-11-2018 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 7499839)
1.5x 60ft..... at that point you'll snap something or go into limp mode? I keep seeing visions of Fairbirds launch ... then he snapped his drive shaft??

but I'm rooting for you and hope you find what you're looking for

kudos for documenting the progress!

im always curious ... for all the cash you'll spend why not just get a w213amg?

I was actually thinking about getting the new w213 but from what I was told by DME tuning is that the w213 tranny is not any better than ours he actually broke his with just a tune and down pipes less than 3k miles on the car ...had the oppertunity to meet him when he came out here to tune my friends x6m (848whp) I just dont understand why AMG doesnt build a better tranny...
has anybody any info on what GAD is doing for their mct upgrade?
it seams like there could be more done then just clutchpacks that all the tuners are offering now days...

I

chiromikey 07-11-2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boostaddict (Post 7499945)

Is that fact? I thought it was a whole new unit and an actual dual clutch tranny. I've seen one launch at the track and it took off like a bat out of hell, had to of been a 1.6x 60 foot. I drove one and it felt really good, shifted and behaved similar to the Porsche PDK that I had in three 911's over the years. The multi clutch thing in these W212's is nothing close to a PDK; my main gripe is during daily driving it just can't seem to predict what gear it should be up or down shifting to at the right time

Obviously their software is improved as well but hardware is essentially the same. All early reports of how “hard” they were launching at the track were disproven once the 60ft times were displayed. They’re better than the average 1.8 that our cars are putting down but they’re only averaging 1.7s so nothing special and nothing better than a good launch from a decent driver in a W212.

chiromikey 07-11-2018 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 727E63AMG (Post 7499977)
I was actually thinking about getting the new w213 but from what I was told by DME tuning is that the w213 tranny is not any better than ours he actually broke his with just a tune and down pipes less than 3k miles on the car ...had the oppertunity to meet him when he came out here to tune my friends x6m (848whp) I just dont understand why AMG doesnt build a better tranny...
has anybody any info on what GAD is doing for their mct upgrade?
it seams like there could be more done then just clutchpacks that all the tuners are offering now days...

I

FYI: enough guys with “upgraded” clutch packs have replaced them with OEM so be cautious and dig for some user feedback before spending money on that route.

TECHNICIAN 07-12-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7499983)

FYI: enough guys with “upgraded” clutch packs have replaced them with OEM so be cautious and dig for some user feedback before spending money on that route.

Also curious to hear more about this. Everyone is tight lipped about internal trans upgrades

e65 07-18-2018 12:30 AM

OEM transmission was slipping when I was making ~650 hp. I did 1 single day at the track with ~ 40 race start launches. After that there was clutch slip in 5th and 6th gears in manual mode. I never tested before going to the track so I cannot be sure if the track day cause them to fail like that or if they were insufficient to begin with.

My motor is making a lot more power now, over 1000 pound feet of torque. The upgraded transmission is holding this torque. If the transmission oil gets hot it can cause clutches to slip - regardless of what setup you have it's good to cool down a bit between runs. I don't think oem clutches will hold big torque for long.

Re: 60 foot times, remember the wet clutch probably does not do any torque multiplication like a torque converter does. On a manual car you would have to dump the clutch from 6000 RPM and have a heavy flywheel with rotational momentum to really launch the car. Our wet clutch is advertised to be lightweight. TCU programming could be part of the problem, I think a traditional torque converter would allow our cars to launch a lot better. That would be an interesting modification.

Savage212 07-18-2018 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by e65 (Post 7504366)
Re: 60 foot times, remember the wet clutch probably does not do any torque multiplication like a torque converter does. On a manual car you would have to dump the clutch from 6000 RPM and have a heavy flywheel with rotational momentum to really launch the car. Our wet clutch is advertised to be lightweight. TCU programming could be part of the problem, I think a traditional torque converter would allow our cars to launch a lot better. That would be an interesting modification.

The E550 uses a traditional torque converter. I wonder if its possible to swap? IIRC E550 has a smaller displacement v8 turbo? 4.7L?

PeterUbers 07-18-2018 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Savage212 (Post 7504528)
The E550 uses a traditional torque converter. I wonder if its possible to swap? IIRC E550 has a smaller displacement v8 turbo? 4.7L?

550 tc probably couldn't handle the torque and then also you would lose power to the wheels .. no?

Savage212 07-19-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 7505251)

550 tc probably couldn't handle the torque and then also you would lose power to the wheels .. no?

A torque converter is hydraulic so I don't think they are a factor in power handling. If anything a " higher stall " unit would be best. Sure you lose a little power but if the car is not putting it down anyway?

CarHopper 07-19-2018 09:15 PM

Audi has the ZF 8 speed in their RS7 (which is a torque converter) and putting down the best track times of the big 3 sedans (E63, M5, RS7)... Eurocharged just ran a 10.006 in an RS7. This platform will never touch that.

Boostaddict 07-19-2018 10:40 PM

Audi used the ZF instead of their DCT in the RS7 specifically to be able to handle lots of low end torque.

PeterUbers 07-20-2018 12:46 AM

So why doesn't benz put in the e63 a tc trans like in the s600?

727E63AMG 07-20-2018 05:02 AM

Just a quick update...
took shardul's turbo blankets to the shop today ...
Pure Turbo should be done with the machine work no later than tuesday next week...so expecting everything to be installed by friday the 27th...however, thats when Im leaving on a short vacation....hoping to bring Jerry out here around the 6th or 7th next month to get the custom dyno tune https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...52b298d14f.jpg

Shardul's turbo blankets
😁