Sponsored by:

E63 ———> RS7 early impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Resetting the adaptations helps considerably but owners shouldn’t have to disconnect their batteries once per week to have a semi normal drive and tolerable shifts from the transmission. And the annoying behavior is always coming back, especially if it’s cold.

I drove the car in full comfort settings yesterday and finally remembered what having a luxury brand sedan is all about. Smooth and comfy in stop and go traffic. Even with the upgraded sport/dynamic suspension in the RS7, it’s lightyears ahead of the W212 when it comes to ride quality.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Gunna go test drive an 18 rs7 in a week or two ... gotta start figuring out what I want after this e63 is out of warranty.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Gunna go test drive an 18 rs7 in a week or two ... gotta start figuring out what I want after this e63 is out of warranty.

The 19' A6 (C8?) platform just was released. Looking really really good, I would hold tight and see what the new generation RS models offer.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Savage212
The 19' A6 (C8?) platform just was released. Looking really really good, I would hold tight and see what the new generation RS models offer.
The new RS will have two versions. A 650hp and a 700+ hybrid. Expect pricing to get into Porsche territory! :-o
Old 01-11-2019, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 01-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
There has been some ongoing rumbling that the RS6 Avant was on its way. I'm glad to see it's finally going to happen.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rock
There has been some ongoing rumbling that the RS6 Avant was on its way. I'm glad to see it's finally going to happen.
I read the rumors last year but everything pointed towards the RS4 Avant. Knowing Audi, i still won’t believe it’s true until my dealer calls and says so!!
Old 01-12-2019, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Just how much stiffer is the Performance over the regular RS7?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kponti
Just how much stiffer is the Performance over the regular RS7?
I honestly can’t say without getting back to back time in an air suspension car to compare with a DRC like mine. The only standard suspension car I drove was over a year ago and I didn’t even know enough at the time to run through all the suspension settings. Others have said that it makes a noticeable difference but I just don’t have the experience. My DRC in Dynamic mode does feel more stiff when compared to the E63 in Sport II.

Last edited by chiromikey; 01-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by chiromikey

I honestly can’t say without getting back to back time in an air suspension car to compare with a DRC like mine. The only standard suspension car I drove was over a year ago and I didn’t even know enough at the time to run through all the suspension settings. Others have said that it makes a noticeable difference but I just don’t have the experience. My DRC in Dynamic mode does feel more stiff when compared to the E63 in Sport II.
Is it as choppy? The Panamera in its stiffest setting felt firmer but smoother than my E
Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kponti
Is it as choppy? The Panamera in its stiffest setting felt firmer but smoother than my E
It’s not choppy or harsh at alll. If everything else was a wash, this alone would have made it worth the move.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes! The E63 is definitely more raw in a good way. The RS7 sounds very European V8 with a smooth scream while the E63 is more American muscle car V8 with a roar. I can’t wait to get the DPs in and be able to compare apples to apples.
Make sure you tune the transmission makes a big different especial if your car lost AMAX. Let me know if you need a help on the trans tune
Old 01-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E90 M3
First time posting but Im currently cross shopping both the E63 estate and the RS7, so this has my attention. None of the nuances about the E63 are going to both me. I have a 11 E90 M3 with the DCT, so I used to the "clunkiness" of an automated manual and a harsher ride. Both cars have equal appeal in their own way, at least to me but I do have a couple of questions for the OP since you've owned both:
1) What made you go with a 2016? Anything specific or was the newest available at your price point? Curious is there were major changes made
2) How does the back seat compare? I have a baby girl on the way in May, curious how livable either car is
3) Out of the box, which more suitable for DD? From the sounds of it, you'll say RS7. But Im curious as to the sound, drivability etc, not just the transmission and ride
4) Have you driven the BMW DCT and if so, how does it compare to the MCT?

Greatly appreciate your input if you wouldn't mind helping a fellow shopper. Congrats on the new ride and glad to hear you're enjoying it
Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by enve46
First time posting but Im currently cross shopping both the E63 estate and the RS7, so this has my attention. None of the nuances about the E63 are going to both me. I have a 11 E90 M3 with the DCT, so I used to the "clunkiness" of an automated manual and a harsher ride. Both cars have equal appeal in their own way, at least to me but I do have a couple of questions for the OP since you've owned both:
1) What made you go with a 2016? Anything specific or was the newest available at your price point? Curious is there were major changes made
2) How does the back seat compare? I have a baby girl on the way in May, curious how livable either car is
3) Out of the box, which more suitable for DD? From the sounds of it, you'll say RS7. But Im curious as to the sound, drivability etc, not just the transmission and ride

Greatly appreciate your input if you wouldn't mind helping a fellow shopper. Congrats on the new ride and glad to hear you're enjoying it
i'll let chiro answer your questions just wanted to give a quick tip

2016 audi did a big facelift/update on the a7/s7/rs7 so it makes sense why 2016+ is more expensive and more sought after/ there are a number of changes not just cosmetic but a few easy to spot ones are updated taillights and headlights etc
The following users liked this post:
enve46 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Chiro:

how are the led head lamps? I think you had xenon in your w212 right?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There’s a difference between a stiff ride and a harsh one. I don’t mind stiff, especially if I know the handling is worth the trade in comfort. The harshness is just annoying over the slight road imperfections and doesn’t pay you back in handling. I spent a couple of weeks in an E60 M5 and it was better at stopping and starting than the MCT in the E63. Bit to answer your questions...

1. I went with it for the facelift. I liked the looks and it will hold a little more value if I decide to sell it in a few years.
2. We just had our baby girl in August (congrats on yours!) and while the RS7 does fine for the most part it loses to the E63. The E is a 5 seater and on occasion when the wife wants to ride in back to care for the baby she can sit right next to her. The RS7 is a 4 seater with a plastic tray/divider in the middle so it’s not convenient. This won’t matter much in another month or two when the baby doesn’t need constant attention but it’s worth pointing out.
3. Taking transmission and ride quality out of the equation, the E63 closes the gap but still gets edged out. Even after I get my DPs installed on the RS7 I doubt the sound will be as good as the E63. With catless DPs and resonator delete it still sounds stock cruising but roars with any throttle input. The seats and leather are better in the Audi as is the dash and gauge cluster. The overall feel of the Audi seems to be just a step above in quality.
4. As briefly mentioned above, yes but it’s been a while since the M5 and we had a GT-R a few years ago. The MCT is just not smooth at stopping or starting. It’s quirks sometimes even cause the car to lurch or buck even at full stop which makes you think wtf. With the DCT I felt like I could mitigate any of its bad behavior by altering my driving habits. There’s just nothing you can do in the MCT if your in S or S+, it’s just goofy.

Hopefully that helps but if you need more answers just ask.
enve46 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Chiro:

how are the led head lamps? I think you had xenon in your w212 right?
Besides cool factor, I’ve not been that impressed with the LEDs in the newer MBs or the Audi. I think modern lighting is pretty much at its limit on output without blinding oncoming traffic so HIDs aren’t giving up much if anything imho.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E90 M3

There’s a difference between a stiff ride and a harsh one. I don’t mind stiff, especially if I know the handling is worth the trade in comfort. The harshness is just annoying over the slight road imperfections and doesn’t pay you back in handling. I spent a couple of weeks in an E60 M5 and it was better at stopping and starting than the MCT in the E63. Bit to answer your questions...

1. I went with it for the facelift. I liked the looks and it will hold a little more value if I decide to sell it in a few years.
2. We just had our baby girl in August (congrats on yours!) and while the RS7 does fine for the most part it loses to the E63. The E is a 5 seater and on occasion when the wife wants to ride in back to care for the baby she can sit right next to her. The RS7 is a 4 seater with a plastic tray/divider in the middle so it’s not convenient. This won’t matter much in another month or two when the baby doesn’t need constant attention but it’s worth pointing out.
3. Taking transmission and ride quality out of the equation, the E63 closes the gap but still gets edged out. Even after I get my DPs installed on the RS7 I doubt the sound will be as good as the E63. With catless DPs and resonator delete it still sounds stock cruising but roars with any throttle input. The seats and leather are better in the Audi as is the dash and gauge cluster. The overall feel of the Audi seems to be just a step above in quality.
4. As briefly mentioned above, yes but it’s been a while since the M5 and we had a GT-R a few years ago. The MCT is just not smooth at stopping or starting. It’s quirks sometimes even cause the car to lurch or buck even at full stop which makes you think wtf. With the DCT I felt like I could mitigate any of its bad behavior by altering my driving habits. There’s just nothing you can do in the MCT if your in S or S+, it’s just goofy.

Hopefully that helps but if you need more answers just ask.
Absolutely helps, thank you and congrats on your baby girl as well!!! I know exactly what you're referring to in harsh for small imperfections. I come also from the Jeep/offroading world and Bilsteins are notorious for making the smallest imperfection a jarring experience which is quite annoying. The E60 M5 uses the SMG transmission which isnt quite up to par with the DCT but its surprising to hear it was smoother than the MCT as its an true automated manual with the clutch being controlled by a pump rather than a pedal. I absolutely adore the stitched seats in the Audi but for the sport seats you lose out of vented and massage seats, something Ive never had in a car and is a huge selling point to the wife. She'll have seat heaters on full in 100* weather and the massage feature has her attention. Her car will always be leased, not my first choice but for her it works, so mine will act as our long journey and family mobile. It seems the E63 is going to meet my criteria but the RS7 is just so damn appealing! Decisions decisions. Sounds like can't really go wrong here just a matter if the nuances are a factor. Seems the E63s are rather reliable as well. Thanks again for taking the time to reply in detail, greatly appreciated
Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'15 E63S (hers) '08 E90M (his)
Grats the RS7 is an awesome vehicle. If you're wanting to mod I think you have to be a little bit of a masochist to choose a Benz honestly, or just be absolutely in love with the style and the brand and/or be a Hamilton fanboi

For us, the traditional q-ship 3-box sedan shape, and availability of extremely-extended factory-backed warranty (through 2023) made it an easy choice vs. a used RS7 and wifebot's AWD preference eliminated my personal choice, the M6 Gran Coupe, from contention entirely soooo E63 it was!

We live in a golden age of automobiles, truly, when cars like this are out there, with warranty, for the price of an mid-level Tahoe

Last edited by Richbot; 01-16-2019 at 10:55 AM.
chiromikey (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Absolutely helps, thank you and congrats on your baby girl as well!!! I know exactly what you're referring to in harsh for small imperfections. I come also from the Jeep/offroading world and Bilsteins are notorious for making the smallest imperfection a jarring experience which is quite annoying. The E60 M5 uses the SMG transmission which isnt quite up to par with the DCT but its surprising to hear it was smoother than the MCT as its an true automated manual with the clutch being controlled by a pump rather than a pedal. I absolutely adore the stitched seats in the Audi but for the sport seats you lose out of vented and massage seats, something Ive never had in a car and is a huge selling point to the wife. She'll have seat heaters on full in 100* weather and the massage feature has her attention. Her car will always be leased, not my first choice but for her it works, so mine will act as our long journey and family mobile. It seems the E63 is going to meet my criteria but the RS7 is just so damn appealing! Decisions decisions. Sounds like can't really go wrong here just a matter if the nuances are a factor. Seems the E63s are rather reliable as well. Thanks again for taking the time to reply in detail, greatly appreciated
If the wife has her attention set on massaging seats, you can scratch the E63 off your list. For some asinine reason MB only offered that on the driver’s side in the W212 platform where the W211 and W213 both take care of the passenger. I will never figure that out!!
enve46 (01-16-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So a quick update. The RS7 is still stock so I can’t compare tuned performance yet but that will come shortly.

Braking when comparing steel to steel now goes to the RS7. It may be more suspension related rather than braking but the Audi seems to stop a bit better toward the last portion of a hard stop. Less dive and better feel. Speaking of suspension, the RS7 also handles slightly better in optimal conditions as well. It may not be fair to compare the RS7’s upgraded DRC coil suspension to the E63’s standard set up but you can only blame MB for not having any options. When I say it handles better in optimal conditions, I mean perfect roads. The one thing I don’t like is that the RS7’s mild understreer can quickly turn into oversteer on significant road undulations. I suspect this is due to the weight of the motor being directly over the front wheels. So while the overall handling of the RS7 is better, the E63 does have some better characteristics that many might consider significant if their intentions are to drive aggressively.

I very much miss the sound of the E63. I’ve heard some decatted/deresonated Audis and they still don’t compare the the M157. I’m beginning to appreciate the European V8 sound compared to the musclecar like AMG but growing up with American V8s has me biased.

So far I’ve just installed a front splitter and still trying to figure out how to make the back end look more aggressive. I’ll update again as things come along with stage 2...
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Pics!!!

Im looking for a 2018 rs7 to test drive but dealers are being snotty about it ... I'll have to pull up in the e63 for them to possibly take me seriously ...
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Estate
Pics!!!

Im looking for a 2018 rs7 to test drive but dealers are being snotty about it ... I'll have to pull up in the e63 for them to possibly take me seriously ...
That's the only way Audi would take me seriously when I wanted to look at an RS6 wagon at my local dealer.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pics!!!

I find this to be true more often than not. Walked out dealerships because none of the salesmen would quit bs’ing for even a second to ask me about the car I was getting in and out of for an hour in the showroom. When they saw the AMG flash it’s lights as I unlocked it they literally came running out to talk to me.

I’ll post some decent pics when she’s ready but for now this is all you get...

Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
'16 E63
I love my e63 but I'm also not a teenage girl about it.
I echo some of your sentiments. Ride is uncomfortable, transmission is jerky (shifting D/R/D, the downshifts while coasting), occasional squeaks. We really do have to be objective about the shortcomings of our cars because it can be better.
I'd like to put on 18" wheels but the damn brakes are too big.
A corvette with magnetic ride is sublime, a 911 has a more comfortable ride, but the e63 is more comfortable than a wrx!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 ———> RS7 early impressions