Left Motor Mount Shot at 35k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Left Motor Mount Shot at 35k miles

So I took the car in yesterday for her last dealer visit under full factory warranty to have a few minor issues fixed. I am under MB extended for an entire 3 more years but not sure if motor mounts are covered under that. Anyway, my SA just told me that during inspection they found my left mount was shot. Is this common? I did replace mounts twice over 200k miles on my 2000 E55 that was entirely stock. But 35k miles in this instance seems strange. I mean these motors do produce a lot of torque, but aren't they designed for that?

And the bigger question: How did they not notice this 1200 miles ago when they were putting in the NEW MOTOR? Hmmmmmm Well, the good news is that they are replacing it on their dime.

Also, talk about my SA taking care of me, I told him I wanted to buy a new left side paper intake tube because when they put the new motor and also replaced the driver's side tube, the 2 tubes no longer match. I know, kind of ****! But aren't all of us with these cars? Anyway, I said I would pay the $175 and install the new one myself. He poked at it a bit and said "well, actually it looks a bit sketchy (wink, wink)" and said they would likely take care of a new one under warranty!! He is the man!

I am also having a right front strut pop getting fixed and talk about timing: Eva started Pano Popping about 10 days ago. Just in time to get that fixed too like they did my 2011. They actually have a designated driveway they use to test for pano pop. Hopefully she pops for them! lol

I will update more when I hear more.

Cheers
Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63 AMG S Wagon
Originally Posted by Vrodman
So I took the car in yesterday for her last dealer visit under full factory warranty to have a few minor issues fixed. I am under MB extended for an entire 3 more years but not sure if motor mounts are covered under that. Anyway, my SA just told me that during inspection they found my left mount was shot. Is this common? I did replace mounts twice over 200k miles on my 2000 E55 that was entirely stock. But 35k miles in this instance seems strange. I mean these motors do produce a lot of torque, but aren't they designed for that?

And the bigger question: How did they not notice this 1200 miles ago when they were putting in the NEW MOTOR? Hmmmmmm Well, the good news is that they are replacing it on their dime.

Also, talk about my SA taking care of me, I told him I wanted to buy a new left side paper intake tube because when they put the new motor and also replaced the driver's side tube, the 2 tubes no longer match. I know, kind of ****! But aren't all of us with these cars? Anyway, I said I would pay the $175 and install the new one myself. He poked at it a bit and said "well, actually it looks a bit sketchy (wink, wink)" and said they would likely take care of a new one under warranty!! He is the man!

I am also having a right front strut pop getting fixed and talk about timing: Eva started Pano Popping about 10 days ago. Just in time to get that fixed too like they did my 2011. They actually have a designated driveway they use to test for pano pop. Hopefully she pops for them! lol

I will update more when I hear more.

Cheers
Based on what my SA told me the other week this is pretty normal... I'm at 60k and just had both mounts and trans mount done under CPO. I guess it's the torque.. my e90 M3 lasted nearly 100k miles before it blew one.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

It's the massive torque that kills these mounts ... glad they caught it ... eventually lol!

these engines twist like crazy under massive load particularly from a dig

Last edited by PeterUbers; 01-22-2019 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CerBErusM113 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers

It's the massive torque that kills these mounts ... glad they caught it ... eventually lol!

these engines twist like crazy under massive load particularly from a dig

You mean like holding a 3k rpm brake stand for 3 seconds before launching? Like that? LMAO.

Funny thing is that with my engineering mind I actually have thought about my mounts EVERY time I did this. But then I would tell myself “gee, if these cars are designed for use with RS where it basically does a brake stand to 4k rpm, it should be totally reliable”. Looks like my instincts were well founded. Da*nit!!

It does however show how robust our MCT’s are though when you see the motor mounts fail first. Which is preferred of course.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

This is proof yet again how an amg can bury you in bills outside of warranty
Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

You mean like holding a 3k rpm brake stand for 3 seconds before launching? Like that? LMAO.

Funny thing is that with my engineering mind I actually have thought about my mounts EVERY time I did this. But then I would tell myself “gee, if these cars are designed for use with RS where it basically does a brake stand to 4k rpm, it should be totally reliable”. Looks like my instincts were well founded. Da*nit!!

It does however show how robust our MCT’s are though when you see the motor mounts fail first. Which is preferred of course.
did you catch the thread on race starts and how some guys have done 2000 starts in driving school and the cars held up!? The mounts were likely pancakes and no one cares about weird vibrations in someone else's car so I'm not sure how well the cars really did ...
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is proof yet again how an amg can bury you in bills outside of warranty
Do you know by any chance if the mounts are covered under the MB extended? I think my CU warranty actually did cover them so it probably does?

FYI, I had no vibrations or any symptoms of a failing mount. So I guess it just started leaking.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Very common for the mounts to fail on all the cars, from 4 cyl to AMG V8. They fail with age/time, not really abuse. Race start has the MCT clutch pack open so there's actually way less stress on them until you release the brake pedal and the clutch engages, it's more akin to a fast idle, not pushing torque through the system.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600

Do you know by any chance if the mounts are covered under the MB extended? I think my CU warranty actually did cover them so it probably does?

FYI, I had no vibrations or any symptoms of a failing mount. So I guess it just started leaking.
Your dealer will run coverage for the warranty repair but yes we did them under ext warranty all the time.
jvakos (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Very common for the mounts to fail on all the cars, from 4 cyl to AMG V8. They fail with age/time, not really abuse. Race start has the MCT clutch pack open so there's actually way less stress on them until you release the brake pedal and the clutch engages, it's more akin to a fast idle, not pushing torque through the system.
Thanks Joe,

I figured most of that. But I only have 35k miles on the car and surprised this wasnt caught 2 months ago when they dropped the motor in. 1200 miles later with 1000 miles going easy for break-in and it is found. Hmmmm. Quite a small window to go from fine to replace, not to mention the timing. My guess is that they missed it 2 months ago.

With all that said, I also am very appreciative for everything they have done for me. So none of this should be taken as a knock against my dealer nor MB.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06

Thanks Joe,

I figured most of that. But I only have 35k miles on the car and surprised this wasnt caught 2 months ago when they dropped the motor in. 1200 miles later with 1000 miles going easy for break-in and it is found. Hmmmm. Quite a small window to go from fine to replace, not to mention the timing. My guess is that they missed it 2 months ago.

With all that said, I also am very appreciative for everything they have done for me. So none of this should be taken as a knock against my dealer nor MB.
Vrod - hey brother so i had my motor mounts just recently replaced at 28k miles as they were leaking and had trans mount replaced at 25k miles..... and thats on a stock, non-tracked car that i do drive aggressively but within what you can do on public roads glad you got new mounts!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600

Thanks Joe,

More likely, the mount was weak after 35k and the moving it around during the engine replacement primed it to split open and leak out it's hydaulic fluid. They normally "feel" bad before they even leak, they just collapse and transmit way more vibrations than a new mount. Because it happens gradually over the life of the part most customers don't even notice, but you will think you got a new car when the change them out, it will be so much smoother.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Jvakos and Joe. I guess it is normal.

Still curious if it is covered under MB extended warranty though. Anyone know for certain?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Thanks Jvakos and Joe. I guess it is normal.

Still curious if it is covered under MB extended warranty though. Anyone know for certain?
Your dealer will run coverage for the warranty repair but yes we did them under ext warranty all the time.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Savage212
Aaaaah. Dam*it! I am guilty of missing that.

It turns out that right after I posted that my SA called me and said they went ahead and replaced all 3 mounts (2 motor, 1 trans). He also told me what Joe said that it is covered under the ELW. He went on to say that a lot of stuff is covered under the ELW that is NOT covered under CPO. That was interesting to me and made me happy about buying that ELW.

They could not get the "pano pop" to duplicate, but that doesn't surprise me. I have only heard it twice in this car total. He said not to worry about it because this TOO is covered under ELW. So it looks like I pretty well covered until Jan 30, 2022. So if it gets worse or more regular I can still get it fixed.

BTW, they also went ahead and replaced that passenger side intake paper tube under warranty that I mentioned above. I was fully willing to buy it and he just did it for me. I love these guys.

Thanks for all the replies from everybody!
Old 01-24-2019, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
ItalianJoe - so mounts would be covered by MB extended warranty, but not CPO warranty it seems??? I'm re-reading my 3 year CPO extended warranty language now to see what it says.....
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 PM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Aaaaah. Dam*it! I am guilty of missing that.

It turns out that right after I posted that my SA called me and said they went ahead and replaced all 3 mounts (2 motor, 1 trans). He also told me what Joe said that it is covered under the ELW. He went on to say that a lot of stuff is covered under the ELW that is NOT covered under CPO. That was interesting to me and made me happy about buying that ELW.

They could not get the "pano pop" to duplicate, but that doesn't surprise me. I have only heard it twice in this car total. He said not to worry about it because this TOO is covered under ELW. So it looks like I pretty well covered until Jan 30, 2022. So if it gets worse or more regular I can still get it fixed.

BTW, they also went ahead and replaced that passenger side intake paper tube under warranty that I mentioned above. I was fully willing to buy it and he just did it for me. I love these guys.

Thanks for all the replies from everybody!
Did you happen to notice any extra vibration, due to bad mounts?
Old 01-24-2019, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Savage212
Did you happen to notice any extra vibration, due to bad mounts?
None whatsoever. I think it literally just started leaking and the dealer just jumped on it.
Savage212 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:12 PM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
None whatsoever. I think it literally just started leaking and the dealer just jumped on it.
That's a good dealer! I'm about to ship mine over to you and hope you just take it over there and presto! New Car!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last Update:

My SA just called me to tell me I can pick up the car later today. He also said his tech set my mounts on a table next to new mounts and that mine were a full inch shorter than the new ones. He said "man, they were smashed". Interesting that I had no issues or vibration though. He said that is possible to not have any signs. He joked and said my right foot has too much horsepower! He then said the tech told him "I swear this car raced me in my Hellcat and just left me!" I had to promise him this never occurred while I was breaking in the new motor (which is entirely true). But I do remember beating a Hellcat with the old motor. So I get a "kill" for that one!

I wonder if someone with a tune might be more likely to "smash" motor mounts" LOL

He also gave me a full explanation of the difference between the MB CPO and the MB ELW (extended limited warranty). He explained the ELW is FAR better than the CPO but it's hard to get. Somehow I was lucky enough to qualify. One example is that the "pano pop" and the mounts are both covered under the ELW but not with the CPO according to him. So if you can get the ELW on your next used AMG, get it rather than worrying about a CPO.

So for anyone who has missed my explanation of how to qualify for the ELW for a used MB, it is pretty simple. Basically if the car's title ever changes from the original owner to a dealership prior to us buying it, it will not be eligible. My 2015 fortunately never had a title change until I bought her so I got it. If you buy one directly from the original owner you should qualify basically.
thxrick (01-27-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

I have the ELW from when I got it new and they told me it was more comprehensive ... glad I got it at a steal for $2600 for 7/75k (so 2/25k extension from original own warranty)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the ELW from when I got it new and they told me it was more comprehensive ... glad I got it at a steal for $2600 for 7/75k (so 2/25k extension from original own warranty)
3/25k. Not 2/25k I believe. Your base factory warranty is 4/50k.

Just in the interest of accuracy here. Not trying to be Mr correction. Lol
Old 01-25-2019, 10:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

3/25k. Not 2/25k I believe. Your base factory warranty is 4/50k.

Just in the interest of accuracy here. Not trying to be Mr correction. Lol
ah yes... 2 years seemed like a bit of a rip off !!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
So for anyone who has missed my explanation of how to qualify for the ELW for a used MB, it is pretty simple. Basically if the car's title ever changes from the original owner to a dealership prior to us buying it, it will not be eligible. My 2015 fortunately never had a title change until I bought her so I got it. If you buy one directly from the original owner you should qualify basically.
Thank you for this! My plan is to buy a '16 CPO from a dealer. Should be able then to add on the ELW.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
If you purchase a CPO Benz you have the option to extend the CPO warranty (this is different from MB ELW) which can be purchased from any MB dealer -

there are many threads on these boards with details on the few dealer contacts across the US who sell the CPO extended with significant discounts compared to what your local dealer will offer it for. I bought a 2 year CPO extended for my 2015 CPO e63 which I bought a year after buying the car from the dealer and cost me 3600 / 2 years CPO. My dealer wanted over 5k for that same 2 year CPO extended....

And be SURE you inspect everything on your CPO purchase and use any issues in your price negotiation (ex: fix paint / dents, cracks in front lip, seat condition, tires).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Left Motor Mount Shot at 35k miles