MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Dash Rattle (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/734654-dash-rattle.html)

cperry 02-01-2019 11:24 AM

Dash Rattle

I have a rattle up on the dash, I think it is the front speaker cover that butts up against the windshield. MB service said they could not replicate so I am left to find it myself.
Has anyone removed those front covers? Is there a schematic to show what tabs or how it is attached? I don't want to screw up the cover!
Thx.

PeterUbers 02-01-2019 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by cperry (Post 7670069)
I have a rattle up on the dash, I think it is the front speaker cover that butts up against the windshield. MB service said they could not replicate so I am left to find it myself.
Has anyone removed those front covers? Is there a schematic to show what tabs or how it is attached? I don't want to screw up the cover!
Thx.

can you first try shoving some felt pads in the space between the windshield and plastic (as a diagnostic)? I would be very cautious about removing any dash components

ygmn 02-01-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by cperry (Post 7670069)
..... MB service said they could not replicate....
Thx.

Take Service advisor for ride and drive it so it makes the noise for him to hear it.
You probaly know how to hit a bumo or what not to make noise more pronounced.

I never take cannot duplicate if I can make it do issue in front of them.

signes 02-02-2019 12:01 AM

Check the clear plastic cover for the gauge cluster. Used to think it was the dash speaker but wasn't.

JimmyR 02-02-2019 09:48 PM

I wonder if this is a variant of the sound I am getting in the same general area ie somewhere around the steering column, the instrument cluster and dash. It sounds almost like there is a ball bearing rolling in a hollow area. Typically occurs when car is slowly changing direction on slight downhill inclines - but not when the steering wheel is being turned side to side at parking/manoeuvring speeds. Clearly audible to me but strangely not to several MB folk who are unable to hear it. They went to town with some lubricant spray below the instrument cluster which apart from making a mess did not a thing. Given this amateurish effort I have thus not been keen to have them continue to look further!!
Anyway be keen to hear where your issue ends up. Cheers

ColoC63 02-03-2019 12:44 PM

Dash Rattle

I have the exact same rattle in my 2015 E63. It seems to be coming from the speaker grill at the windshield. Not sure if its the cover or a loose speaker. It definitely goes away when I apply pressure. I my try the felt pad idea.

joonesthesia 02-03-2019 07:36 PM

Had it on my 2010 e63, and also a current '16 e63.
on the 2010, it would sometimes go away if I pressed on the wood trim (CF for some).
on the '16 it's so far sometimes there most of the time not.
does drive me nuts

van_rider 04-19-2019 11:25 AM

Sorry for reviving an old thread..... thought this would help some.
I had a similar rattle or chirping sound coming from my dashboard, was driving me absolutely nuts. Sometimes I thought it was the seat controls near my thigh, sometimes I thought it was in the shifter area, visor area, instrument cluster, and so on. I finally located the rattle to being near the centre vent, when I pushed on the carbon fibre trim near to the left of the clock, above ignition, the Rattle would go away. Try this area. I finally took the Centreline carbon fibre trim off and located the rattle to being the LED housing for the ambient lighting above ignition, the LED bulb housing was loose from its fixture, I clipped it back. It fixed the issue.

I have also developed another rattle as described above near the front of the dash the surrounding speaker/mesh trim near the front parking sensor.

joonesthesia 04-19-2019 11:27 AM

I shall try your solution. Thank you for adding to the knowledge base