Sponsored by:

W212/S212 tire wear/alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
997 Carrera S
W212/S212 tire wear/alignment

My S212 AMG is at the dealer getting 4 new Conti DWS 06 tires. I'm doing this because when I bought the car there was a nail in the right rear and the fronts were worn to the wear bars on the inside edge.

My question: Is that normal front tire wear for these cars? My 911 rears wore that way due to camber, but I'm not sure what to expect with my new AMG wagon.

It is getting aligned now, but should I be concerned if the new tires wear in this same pattern? Or is it just normal?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Yep, completely normal. Factory front suspension setup has a little bit of camber built in.

Oh, and also keep an eye on your rears because they wear pretty fast on the inside edge...I had a rear go flat on the highway and when I pulled off the wheel was shocked that they'd worn through the belts on the inside edge, since the the outside was nowhere near the wear bars. But since you had a 911 you're probably used to checking that anyway.

Last edited by amgggg...; 02-02-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
997 Carrera S
Originally Posted by amgggg...
Yep, completely normal. Factory front suspension setup has a little bit of camber built in.

Oh, and also keep an eye on your rears because they wear pretty fast on the inside edge...I had a rear go flat on the highway and when I pulled off the wheel was shocked that they'd worn through the belts on the inside edge, since the the outside was nowhere near the wear bars. But since you had a 911 you're probably used to checking that anyway.
Thank you for the prompt and thorough reply.

Good to know that going in.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:21 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by Elverde
My S212 AMG is at the dealer getting 4 new Conti DWS 06 tires. I'm doing this because when I bought the car there was a nail in the right rear and the fronts were worn to the wear bars on the inside edge.

My question: Is that normal front tire wear for these cars? My 911 rears wore that way due to camber, but I'm not sure what to expect with my new AMG wagon.

It is getting aligned now, but should I be concerned if the new tires wear in this same pattern? Or is it just normal?
The reality is the often quoted FULL FRONT & REAR ALIGNMENT comes down to only "Toe directional adjustment"

With the best alignment expertise (and alignment rack) this Toe adjustment is all they have to work with.

Can fit inaccurate (one offset position) Camber, Caster correction bolts - for the front only, but they offer a minuscule 1/8' (0.3 degree) change ......then often quoting because of wide alignment parameters - "now within spec".

We saw the need therefore to "fix it right the 1st time" - by re-instating full, precise front Camber, Caster and rear Camber (and extra Toe adjustment). Allowing to adjust tire contact angles.

To cater for other than showroom height conditions - high cambered roads, altered height through load carrying or lowering, wide profile tires, curb knocks.

The unique K-MAC patented design replaces the 4 front and rear highest wearing bushings. Is precise single wrench adjustment - accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack.

Providing more than 4 times the adjustment range of the one position offset bolts.

Note: Also manufacture for coil spring models "front replacement top strut mounts" (Camber and Caster adjustable) This patented design providing fast adjustment from engine bay (see web site re unique features). Track days the extra adjustment to further reduce understeer in the pursuit of front row of the grid lap times.

While the front lower arm adjustable bushings - Camber resolving costly premature edge tire wear, improving traction. Thrust arm bushings allowing to readjust / compensate Caster and correctly resolve steering pull!

These K-MAC Caster bushings are Monoball / 2 axis design. Result is also noticeably improved brake and steering response.

Constant, ongoing development has allowed now In 2019 “design breakthrough / new generation" Mono ball bushings. Superseding the industry standard "steel spherical bearings" (with their wafer thin liners soon create noise and pound out) - K-MAC having more than two and a half times their load bearing area for noiseless, long term durability.

Rear Camber bushings (like front) adjust lower arms to reduce inner edge tire wear (or outwards to increase track width). Unlike upper adjustable rear arms that need to reduce essential clearance - top of tire to outer fender when wanting to reduce inner edge wear.

Another popular kit manufactured - uprated replacement bushes for the 6 rear multi link arms - less twitch, flex, loss of traction, especially when applying power lane changing / overtaking.

Front Camber & Caster Bush Kit #502916 K $480

Rear Camber (& extra Toe) Bush Kit #502226 K $480

Front Upper Strut Mounts (Coil Spring Suspension) Camber & Caster
Stage 2 (Street/Race) #502916-2 L $545
Stage 3 (Full Race) #502916-3 L $545

Rear Multi Link Arm Uprated Bushing Kit #502628 K $480

Delivery $30 one kit, $20 each additional.

Last edited by K-Mac; 02-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:29 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Mine wore in the rears the most and plus W212 sits up real high in the rear. I used the UPD adjustable camber and toe arms with ride adjustemnt to set up tire angles to reduce wear and gain traction. Great cars!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd