MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Respray on 2016 E63s (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/736983-respray-2016-e63s.html)

Ds2016E63s 02-26-2019 12:50 PM

Respray on 2016 E63s

Ran into a storm causing scrapes, scratches and road rash to the car. Having car resprayed to original factory color. Car had no body damage just paint so hope the respray comes out looking just like OEM. Body Shop is where local Mercedes Benz sends all their vehicles for repair so should be in good hands.

Anyone have a similar experience requiring a respray of their E63s?

Vrodman 02-26-2019 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ds2016E63s (Post 7691420)
Ran into a storm causing scrapes, scratches and road rash to the car. Having car resprayed to original factory color. Car had no body damage just paint so hope the respray comes out looking just like OEM. Body Shop is where local Mercedes Benz sends all their vehicles for repair so should be in good hands.

Not a similar situation, but I did have my 2015 front end repainted to remove a bunch of rock chips from the previous owner. I then had it clear bra'd with Suntek film. I had my paint work done by my local MB dealership collision center who assured me they use the exact same paint as the factory for both the base and the clear and that the paint is is just as robust as factory new paint with no limitations. After 3 months now I have no complaints.

PeterUbers 02-26-2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ds2016E63s (Post 7691420)

what color ... this will make a difference on the outcome

Ds2016E63s 02-26-2019 03:22 PM

Obsidium black

Vrodman 02-26-2019 04:30 PM

Mine is black too. You will be fine.

Peter,

I think he is getting the entire car painted??? If so your usual concerns about blending white shouldn't be an issue. And his car is black anyway.

ygmn 02-26-2019 04:44 PM

all about the man with the spray gun in his hand + prep work and cleanliness + paint booth quality + dries dust free.....

Good luck

PeterUbers 02-26-2019 04:47 PM

Black will be fine .... pearl white sucks to blend!!!

ill never get a white car again

Ds2016E63s 02-26-2019 04:54 PM

Very true about the man with the spray gun and prep, etc..

I am having them respray the entire car including the back trunk and rear bumper even though these areas were not damaged by the storm. Concerned with color match.

They are replacing the windshield with a MB stamped windshield and also the active curve lights are included in the loss, but will only allow if they are factory new OEM headlamps.

After the respray, I will have ceramic coat applied. Considering the protective film prior to the ceramic coat as well.

PeterUbers 02-26-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ds2016E63s (Post 7691644)

I am having them respray the entire car including the back trunk and rear bumper even though these areas were not damaged by the storm. Concerned with color match.

They are replacing the windshield with a MB stamped windshield and also the active curve lights are included in the loss, but will only allow if they are factory new OEM headlamps.

After the respray, I will have ceramic coat applied. Considering the protective film prior to the ceramic coat as well.

obsidian is metallic so in the sunlight you may see irregularities over a new spray .... but it'll be very difficult to tell even if done by an average shop

EricAvalonKing 02-27-2019 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ds2016E63s (Post 7691644)

Just a quick important note here... Make sure you let the new paint gas off properly (depends, but 60 days minimum is my recommendation) before ceramic coating. Same would go for wraps.

If you are concerned with the paint getting further from perfection in the meantime, just do regular paint corrections and polishing then (clay bar or claymitt before polishing) and you can coat or wrap it.

SteveE400 02-27-2019 07:40 PM

I had to have my E Class repainted a few months after I took delivery. Some "guy" decided to smash in the plate glass window in my garage to get in and steal a bicycle. I know -- just stupid. But right after that he tried to break into the house while we were inside. Never caught him. . .

Anyway, my steel grey car is now a full repaint. In my case, it actually looks better after a repaint by a MB Certified shop. Better prep than factory, and an extra coat or two of clear. Of course, the shop knows me well for 15+ years, and all of our cars go there if any body work is needed.

As the others said, it is all in the hands of the person doing the work. If done properly, there won't be any issues.

PeterUbers 02-28-2019 11:52 PM

How do they even approach a full respray ... do they sand it down?

EricAvalonKing 03-01-2019 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 7693953)
How do they even approach a full respray ... do they sand it down?

A proper way would be to mask meticulously then sandblast, primer, respray.

PeterUbers 03-01-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by EricAvalonKing (Post 7694023)
A proper way would be to mask meticulously then sandblast, primer, respray.

holy *****!!!

Ds2016E63s 03-01-2019 02:21 PM

The body is in perfect condition so they will sand the paint down into the base coat but not all the way to the metal. Then they will put primer on, then base coat, and final top coat (clear)

PeterUbers 03-01-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ds2016E63s (Post 7694508)
The body is in perfect condition so they will sand the paint down into the base coat but not all the way to the metal. Then they will put primer on, then base coat, and final top coat (clear)

what does this cost?

SteveE400 03-01-2019 07:28 PM

Not sure. In my case, my favorite shop doesn't mask anything. All trim is removed prior to prep and paint, then anything with clips or tabs is re-installed. Trim that is held with double-stick tape is all replaced. IIRC, the repaint on my E-Class was somewhere north of $5K - and that was for "stock" MB steel grey color plus clearcoat. Nothing custom here.

BlownV8 03-03-2019 11:02 AM

Y'all must have really good body shops. I've yet to see one that can do black as good as the factory.

sakodik 03-04-2019 07:53 PM

Make sure you get obsidian metallic paint! The dealer had to redo my front bumper and for some reason they shot it with black 040 claiming it IS obsidian. It was awful. The front fender had metallic but where the bumper is under the headlight just glossy black. You can't tell unless you are looking for it and in sunlight/flashlight. Forced them to send me a check so that I can do it with right my shop. BTW my shop blended it perfectly from bumper to fender using the correct paint.

TECHNICIAN 03-04-2019 07:57 PM

$15-20k for full respray done properly. There should be NO masking. Everything is removed and painted

PeterUbers 03-05-2019 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN (Post 7697342)
$15-20k for full respray done properly. There should be NO masking. Everything is removed and painted

$20,000 for a respray? Vs the $5500-ish someone else quoted?

BlownV8 03-05-2019 08:21 AM

$20k, would have to be a full strip down and reassembly of the entire car.

Ds2016E63s 03-05-2019 11:45 AM

The body shop used is the one that the local MB dealership uses for repairs.

They remove all badges, door handles, front/rear windshields, front facia, hood, some trim pieces, etc.. before primer, base coat, clear coat is applied

Paint code is 040 Black and NOT Obsidium Metallic Black Paint Code 197

New factory MB badges will be re-applied (not using the ones that came off the vehicle) along with new fasteners.

Total cost is around $13,000

PeterUbers 03-05-2019 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ds2016E63s (Post 7697822)

They remove all badges, door handles, front/rear windshields, front facia, hood, some trim pieces, etc.. before primer, base coat, clear coat is applied

Obsidium Black Metallic paint code 197 is being applied.

New factory MB badges will be re-applied (not using the ones that came off the vehicle) along with new fasteners.

i presume insurance is covering this

SteveE400 03-05-2019 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ds2016E63s (Post 7697822)

Paint code is 040 Black and NOT Obsidium Metallic Black Paint Code 197

Sounds about right. Mine was less because the roof, being Pano, wasn't damaged, and some of the trim panels like rocker panel covers, etc., didn't need any work - just some blending.