MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Buy a wastegate? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/744276-buy-wastegate.html)

Bryan Book 05-10-2019 04:03 PM

Buy a wastegate?

2014 E63S throwing p0299 code and I'm thinking it's a waste gate or bad turbo. I have replaced a leaky transducer and smoked the car with 0 leaks. Cleaned airbox sensors. Running UPD intake and filters are like new. Car seems to be in permanent limp mode.

I dont know what else it could be. Is it possible to buy just the wastegate? I couldn't find a serial number. I believe I have to buy the whole turbo package. Hopefully hear back from service dept on Monday with some answers. No warranty and afraid this is going to be expensive.

timm206 05-10-2019 11:56 PM

Is the car tuned? M157’s have high back pressure from factory so the gasses would easily pass thru the wastegate if the actuator is bad. Seems like the actuator is replaceable but the real problem is finding one to buy. Dealer will most likely Try to replace the whole thing even if wastegate alone is the issue. Also on the stock turbos sometimes a crack forms around the wastegate, due to temps and back pressure.

Its most likely going to be an expensive fix since they have to drop the engine to acess the turbos, hopefully its something simple like a sensor. Good luck.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...58a3af87c0.png

Bryan Book 05-11-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by timm206 (Post 7752939)
Is the car tuned? M157’s have high back pressure from factory so the gasses would easily pass thru the wastegate if the actuator is bad. Seems like the actuator is replaceable but the real problem is finding one to buy. Dealer will most likely Try to replace the whole thing even if wastegate alone is the issue. Also on the stock turbos sometimes a crack forms around the wastegate, due to temps and back pressure.

Its most likely going to be an expensive fix since they have to drop the engine to acess the turbos, hopefully its something simple like a sensor. Good luck.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...58a3af87c0.png

Thanks for your reply!
My car just hit 49,000 miles. The car has been tuned for the last 1000 miles. Stg 2 tune with colder plugs, still factory DP's and did a Res delete. When I turn the car on I can see both arms move, also when engine is being revved. I thought maybe they were getting stuck open or possibly needed adjusted? If a turbo is bad, I'll most likely just upgrade them to Weistec or pure. I've just been trying to prepare myself to know what I need to do when the time comes. Still hoping it is a more simple and less costly fix. I'm happy with my car the way it is.

5soko 05-13-2019 04:46 PM

Try flashing back to stock and see what happens.

Bryan Book 05-13-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 5soko (Post 7754630)
Try flashing back to stock and see what happens.

Cars at the shop right now. I know that was mentioned but I figured if the car didnt like the new tune, it would of threw CEL alot sooner. I should hear back from them tomorrow and make sure I update. I feel like alot of threads with the code no one follows up with what the problem was.

timm206 05-15-2019 11:49 PM

Not sure about it going out of adjustment but at this point sounds like a bad presuure sensor or turbo. Also ive seen people get ramdom cel’s due to an old/weak batteries, not sure how likely that could be the cause but its a possibility.

cocobeex 05-16-2019 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan Book (Post 7754734)
Cars at the shop right now. I know that was mentioned but I figured if the car didnt like the new tune, it would of threw CEL alot sooner. I should hear back from them tomorrow and make sure I update. I feel like alot of threads with the code no one follows up with what the problem was.

I would also try to flash it back to stock file. Or less aggressive tune.

Something cracked open caused by extreme boost ?

Bryan Book 05-16-2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by cocobeex (Post 7756661)
I would also try to flash it back to stock file. Or less aggressive tune.

Something cracked open caused by extreme boost ?

Small update. The shop that had my car wont touch it because it's tuned. I'm going to flash back to stock and take it to local Merc Dealership. Car is still in limp mode, no lights on the dash.

cocobeex 05-17-2019 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan Book (Post 7757409)
Small update. The shop that had my car wont touch it because it's tuned. I'm going to flash back to stock and take it to local Merc Dealership. Car is still in limp mode, no lights on the dash.

Yea, some shops dont want to be liable when car is tuned.

I had P0299 code twice. (Under Boost condition)
one time, my vacuum hose that goes into wastegate diaphragm is cracked...
So, i replaced it and problem solved.

2nd time, it was my wastegate actuator rod (Passenger side) loose. (Really had no idea how that happened.)
I adjusted and sync both turbo with 9.5 In/hg. Problem solved.

The more aggressive tune actually caused P0234 code. (Overboost issue)

kponti 05-18-2019 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by cocobeex (Post 7757557)
Yea, some shops dont want to be liable when car is tuned.

I had P0299 code twice. (Under Boost condition)
one time, my vacuum hose that goes into wastegate diaphragm is cracked...
So, i replaced it and problem solved.

What he said^^^.
Dealer replaced the transducer and plugged hose back in on 3 separate occasions over the life of the car, no dice. Problem kept getting more and more frequent as the mileage piled on.
Wasn't till another tech changed out the hoses themselves with some >$20 vacuum hoses that my problem permanently went away.

Bryan Book 05-19-2019 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by kponti (Post 7758342)
What he said^^^.
Dealer replaced the transducer and plugged hose back in on 3 separate occasions over the life of the car, no dice. Problem kept getting more and more frequent as the mileage piled on.
Wasn't till another tech changed out the hoses themselves with some >$20 vacuum hoses that my problem permanently went away.

I already had the transducer replaced a few weeks ago , but I replaced the Vacuum lines and rubber connectors on both wategates. Im on day two of the car back to normal. I'm going to hold off on removing the tune and see what happens over the next couple days

try m3 05-21-2019 04:54 PM

I personally wouldn't run a stage 2 tune with stock cats/downpipes.