W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

More Questions on Mounts!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 12:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E63 AMG
More Questions on Mounts!

I think I have discussion thread overload, yet I don't seem to be able to reach a conclusion on the following:

1. Which motor mounts should I use? OEM - which have had longevity issues. Boosted Benz - the old ECE design that had melting issues, but now comes with shielding. Creative Steel has one, but also having issues on and off due to the heat. I am thinking OEM is still the best bet at this point, unless someone has any other knowledge to bestow on me. And I would appreciate it.

2. Transmission mounts. Appears that the OEM mounts are the only ones out there for our cars. Nothing on boosted Benz or creative steel's pages. Is there an aftermarket out there? Everything I found appears to be OEM replacements.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Scott
Old 02-27-2024, 01:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
AXE Euro has stiffer transmission mounts as well as their own engine mount offering.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by brfatal
AXE Euro has stiffer transmission mounts as well as their own engine mount offering.

Hey! That's correct, at AXE Euro we provide engine and transmission mounts that are stiffer and last longer than OEM mounts. If you're interested please PM here or check out our Facebook page.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:14 PM

Received 256 Likes on 191 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
OEM and OEM....period. No one can quantify a reason not to go OEM. Sure, folks claim lots of things. With OEM you know 100% what you will get and how long they will last.
The following users liked this post:
Baltistyle (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:00 PM

Received 158 Likes on 110 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
OEM and OEM....period. No one can quantify a reason not to go OEM. Sure, folks claim lots of things. With OEM you know 100% what you will get and how long they will last.
I think the problem lies in what he's looking to get out of making a change. You know 100% what OEM will get you, and for some people a 50-70k lifespan is not acceptable considering how involved the job is. If they had been able to engineer just a LITTLE more space around the subframe to make it a job that only takes a couple hours, then I'd be 100% with you on OEM, however I'm happy with my BoostedBenz mounts. I actually prefer the stiffer feeling/feedback of the urethane. If it was a standard E or S class I'd want to keep the soft OEM mounts, but not in the AMG.

Obviously my comment only holds so much weight since I don't have 100k on these mounts, but if heat hasn't cooked them already then I'm hoping they do indeed last that long (and if not, further replacements just require swapping out the internals which is far cheaper than entire new sets of mounts). So, if they last as long as OEM, then they are cheaper in the long run.

On transmission mounts - I don't really see a reason to go aftermarket if you get stiffer engine mounts as they will greatly limit the travel and OEM will more than suffice. If it's the other way around, I also don't see any reason to get a stiffer trans mount on OEM engine mounts. So either way I'd stick with OEM there.

Your decision should come down to feeling - if you've had cars with stiffer mounts in the past it will feel like that, a little more vibration through the steering wheel but a more connected feeling to the powertrain. I can powerbrake and rev while watching the engine and it doesn't move an inch, but it also doesn't feel like a racecar running solid mounts, so I'm quite happy with the BoostedBenz ones. The only change I needed to make was adding urethane exhaust hangers as they sit just slightly lower than stock and the exhaust in front of the resonator would sometimes hit the crossbar. That's now fixed and the urethane mounts were like $14 on Amazon, probably better for the car in the long run anyway. Just my $0.02!

The following 2 users liked this post by GinDistiller:
OldManAndHisCar (02-28-2024), Rehabguy (03-01-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 05:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
'14 E63 S AMG
Does anyone know the torque specs for the mount bolts (9 of them) and the cross-member (8 bolts)?