AMG to launch new 53 line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
AMG to launch new 53 line

Mercedes will launch a new AMG designation in its redesigned CLS
going on sale next year. The new Mercedes-AMG CLS53 is expected to be the first in a new line of AMG 53 models. It likely will be powered by a high-performance version of the company's new inline six-cylinder engine codenamed M256. The engine reportedly will produce 430 hp in the CLS53, but it also will be paired with an electric motor in a hybrid setup that boosts the car's overall power even higher while improving efficiency.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
In an effort to destroy re-sale values for their existing customer base, Mercedes Benz will change the designations of their high performance and sorta high performance lines every six months.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
In an effort to destroy re-sale values for their existing customer base, Mercedes Benz will change the designations of their high performance and sorta high performance lines every six months.
I'm feeling it!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
it really pissed me off

I had to get rid of my 2017 GTS early because I would have taken a huge hit on it in the spring when the new body style comes out not 5 minutes after launch... If I had bought a c450 or an e43 I’d be really upset too... and for the record the 43’s are nice but sorry... not an AMG...

Last edited by DriveAMG; 08-10-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-10-2017, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Destroying the brand as well...
Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
When I first read the article, the first thing I thought of is all the German auto makers are frantically looking for ways to make-up for the massive hit to their bottom lines from the diesel emission rigging fiasco. Given that so-called cleaner diesel has been hyped for so long in Europe and the U.S. as the magic fix to meeting the ever-escalating fuel economy and vehicle emissions numbers, which is what is driving all this nonsense, all German auto makers are now scrambling for any way to shore up sales and meet fleet-wide emission standards in other areas as diesel sales will suffer. Thus we are getting these rapid-fire, change of direction, model naming changes, apparent lack of focus on maintaining any level of consistency, etc. announcements. All with NO regard to the existing customer base. Just on patching holes in their balance sheets. Not a way to retain the customers who can actually afford to buy their cars.

The dilution and what the AMG brand used to stand for and the clear delineation between standard production MB vehicles and the much more performance oriented, driver-centric vehicles of AMG will soon be completely gone. Everything will have a AMG badge slapped on its rear and they will justify it by saying it was "tuned by the AMG guys". To me that is idiotic and will ultimately kill the brand. That would be like me getting a tune on my car and then slapping an AMG badge on the back and saying it's an AMG. It is NOT. The engine, transmission, brakes, etc. on an AMG are all designed to handle the demands of a high performance vehicle being driven like a high performance vehicle on a regular basis.
The following users liked this post:
altorfer (08-28-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by PaulE550
When I first read the article, the first thing I thought of is all the German auto makers are frantically looking for ways to make-up for the massive hit to their bottom lines from the diesel emission rigging fiasco. Given that so-called cleaner diesel has been hyped for so long in Europe and the U.S. as the magic fix to meeting the everescalating fuel economy and vehicle emissions numbers, which is what is driving all this nonsense, all German auto makers are now scrambling for any way to shore up sales and meet fleet-wide emission standards in other areas as diesel sales will suffer. Thus we are getting these rapid-fire, change of direction, model naming changes, apparent lack of focus on maintaining any level of consistency, etc. announcements. All with NO regard to the existing customer base. Just on patching holes in their balance sheets. Not a way to retain the customers who can actually afford to buy their cars.

The dilution and what the AMG brand used to stand for and the clear delineation between standard production MB vehicles and the much more performance oriented, driver-centric vehicles of AMG will soon be completely gone. Everything will have a AMG badge slapped on its rear and they will justify it by saying it was "tuned by the AMG guys". To me that is idiotic and will ultimately kill the brand. That would be like me getting a tune on my car and then slapping an AMG badge on the back and saying it's an AMG. It is NOT. The engine, transmission, brakes, etc. on an AMG are all designed to handle the demands of a high performance vehicle being driven like a high performance vehicle on a regular basis.

truth.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
So I guess you folk no longer hold any stock in Daimler... They're going continue doing what they do and make loads of money doing it...
Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E63s,Range rover vogue

As if it wasn't bad enough that they stick the AMG brand on everything that moves.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Originally Posted by gooner
As if it wasn't bad enough that they stick the AMG brand on everything that moves.
Rumors about the new inline 6 are circulating here on forum since 2011 .
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...es-2015-a.html

I know it is not fun and a little bit frustrating to hear new models names every year but I think the development of the I6 took a little bit longer than what they expected and a few paches here and there was necessary.
This is also a good reason why leasing make sense.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
This strategy has been working for Tesla! If you bought a new Model X P90D for $150k last year, it's now worth $90k.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
truth.

The slight exclusivity of having an AMG is now gone. And like many said the dilution of the brand is a sad effort to make money. All these models including the new M models from BMW don't make me feel like they used too.
E46 m3
e39 m5
w211 e55/63 amg just to name a few, theres many more.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I feel like they are trying to find the sweet spot to sell more cars. Don't worry, the most powerful models will still be exclusive.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jan AMG
I feel like they are trying to find the sweet spot to sell more cars. Don't worry, the most powerful models will still be exclusive.
Sure but now it will almost be like owning a Corvette...every douchebag can own one instead of just a few of us douchebags.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
LOL

I don't care, I just hope the reliability will improve
Old 08-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

I'll never buy a new amg again... I'll wait for the depreciation anchor to drop and walk away with an awesome car for a fraction of the msrp
Old 08-12-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Its funny that you all think that because of the release, in the last couple years, of the 45, 43, now 53 models , that this is what is causing MB and MB AMG vehicles to depreciate so fast. Come on, in the last 10 years(just using that number), when did MB and MB AMG vehicles ever hold value, and not drop like a box of rocks,,,, except for the Black Series vehicles? Please someone tell me when it all started to go down hill, because it isn't just lately with the new "fake AMG" models casing it. Good try though.
If you all care about resale of a car, don't buy an expensive car, lease it, buy cheap or buy exclusive. Cars are like boats now a days, except for Porsche GT models, and in reality most brands depreciate pretty quickly because of the amount of optional brands/vehicles to choose from and each of those brand/vehicle models change so often.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Its funny that you all think that because of the release, in the last couple years, of the 45, 43, now 53 models , that this is what is causing MB and MB AMG vehicles to depreciate so fast. Come on, in the last 10 years(just using that number), when did MB and MB AMG vehicles ever hold value, and not drop like a box of rocks,,,, except for the Black Series vehicles? Please someone tell me when it all started to go down hill, because it isn't just lately with the new "fake AMG" models casing it. Good try though.
If you all care about resale of a car, don't buy an expensive car, lease it, buy cheap or buy exclusive. Cars are like boats now a days, except for Porsche GT models, and in reality most brands depreciate pretty quickly because of the amount of optional brands/vehicles to choose from and each of those brand/vehicle models change so often.
I don't think anyone is claiming these new models are the cause...we all know AMG has the worst depreciation. But there's no question that it is diluting the brand exclusivity.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:53 PM

This seems like that is the case, Mike. also post #9. , By diluting the brand, depreciation gets worse, correct?

Last edited by RobbieRob; 08-12-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
This seems like that is the case, Mike. also post #9. , By diluting the brand, depreciation gets worse, correct?
Yes, it makes it worse but it's not the sole cause.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Some of the cars with the highest resale values are sold in gobs more quantities than the amg. Maybe this might have a reverse effect on resale values? We can only dream
Old 08-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

I walked into the e63S purchase full well knowing the depreciation stats and I still am excited every time I start the car. As a person that values my money I think it's totally reasonable for me to expect more ongoing value for my purchase, though it's not such a detriment that I won't make the purchase.

I really don't care either way about the 43, 53 lines as one day it may be in my garage but I've learned a lesson on buying new 'true' amg, will only buy used/cpo

Additionally i value being able to speak online about things like this and hear both sides of the argument.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 PM

I walked into the e63S purchase full well knowing the depreciation stats and I still am excited every time I start the car. As a person that values my money I think it's totally reasonable for me to expect more ongoing value for my purchase, though it's not such a detriment that I won't make the purchase.

I really don't care either way about the 43, 53 lines as one day it may be in my garage but I've learned a lesson on buying new 'true' amg, will only buy used/cpo

Additionally i value being able to speak online about things like this and hear both sides of the argument.

Well said Peter, I agree, its actually fun and educational(sometimes,lol) to bicker back and forth and discuss beliefs/opinions of others. Most of us can do it in an adult kind of way and be respectful.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth

you're doing it wrong.... you are supposed to chant (usually you need a group of mentally challenged marlyn manson look alikes) and scream fascist at anyone that disagrees with you and if they continue to disagree you have to break out the big guns and call them a bigot of some sort.... thats how you win arguements.... duh peter, come on, they teach this in school or did you come from russia or something where you didnt learn this?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by gaspam
you're doing it wrong.... you are supposed to chant (usually you need a group of mentally challenged marlyn manson look alikes) and scream fascist at anyone that disagrees with you and if they continue to disagree you have to break out the big guns and call them a bigot of some sort.... thats how you win arguements.... duh peter, come on, they teach this in school or did you come from russia or something where you didnt learn this?
The following users liked this post:
gaspam (08-15-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG to launch new 53 line