MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   Anyone else hearing noises from differential? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/686389-anyone-else-hearing-noises-differential.html)

Quickburn7 10-20-2017 07:47 PM

Anyone else hearing noises from differential?

Been hearing and feeling a small clunk when slowly accelerating from a stop. Comfort mode and my individual mode which is pretty much everything sport + exhaust on and comfort mode suspension.
I hear it worse when making a right turn for some reason.

Also a few times when coming to a stop the transmission downshifted really hard in 2nd or 1st. Pretty violently actually.
I ve had some pretty highly strung sports cars that have clunks and weird noises that are just part of the personality of the car ( E46 M3, Carrera GT) but just want to make sure nothing is wrong?
Anyone else experience this?

78degrees 10-20-2017 08:33 PM

At what mileage do you experience this?
Did you do the oil change for the rear differential at 3000km (approx 2000 miles) ?

2012 merc amg 10-20-2017 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sylvainsm (Post 7291519)
Been hearing and feeling a small clunk when slowly accelerating from a stop. Comfort mode and my individual mode which is pretty much everything sport + exhaust on and comfort mode suspension.
I hear it worse when making a right turn for some reason.

Also a few times when coming to a stop the transmission downshifted really hard in 2nd or 1st. Pretty violently actually.
I ve had some pretty highly strung sports cars that have clunks and weird noises that are just part of the personality of the car ( E46 M3, Carrera GT) but just want to make sure nothing is wrong?
Anyone else experience this?

Wow, thats not good. Sometimes when my 222 S class downshifts it's a real vibration in the car, feels almost like somebody is tapping my car from behind, it happened coming off a exit ramp a couple weeks ago, I think it was the 4th to 3rd gear downshifts and I thought somebody was tailgating me and tapped my bumper. Sounds like the same kind of thing with your car, it does not happen much. Wow, hopefully this is all a function of the car breaking in and not some bug because I'm gonna start driving my new Red 213 next week. I'll let you know if I get any of these sounds.

PeterUbers 10-20-2017 10:34 PM

I fought Benz to buyback two brand new 2014 e550’s over the 4-3 clunk and was successful

my e63S has been smooth with only occasional very rare downshift clunks

2012 merc amg 10-20-2017 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 7291644)
I fought Benz to buyback two brand new 2014 e550’s over the 4-3 clunk and was successful

my e63S has been smooth with only occasional very rare downshift clunks

It's very rare that it seems to happen, like, once a month or so if that so I don't really worry about it. I guess I'm lucky, if it happened like every time the car did this downshift I'd be very upset about it. So that and the doors not staying open in high winds are my only two complaints with the S222 otherwise best car ever. I hope i can say my new 213 is best car ever too, time will tell.

Quickburn7 10-21-2017 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7291557)
At what mileage do you experience this?
Did you do the oil change for the rear differential at 3000km (approx 2000 miles) ?

I only have about 250 miles on the car. Still in the break in period and obeying most of the rules.

It happens in all the drive modes and when i come to a stop and after the stop immediately get back on throttle. Worse when im making the right turn at the stop.

it has to go back to the dealer anyways since my distronic cruise control doesn’t want to activate.

tony_f8 10-21-2017 02:50 AM

Your disregarding the don’t even put into sports plus mode break in advice?

Originally Posted by Sylvainsm (Post 7291735)
I only have about 250 miles on the car. Still in the break in period and obeying most of the rules.

It happens in all the drive modes and when i come to a stop and after the stop immediately get back on throttle. Worse when im making the right turn at the stop.

it has to go back to the dealer anyways since my distronic cruise control doesn’t want to activate.

Quickburn7 10-21-2017 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by tony_f8 (Post 7291742)
Your disregarding the don’t even put into sports plus mode break in advice?

seriously? Thought it was just nothing over 4500 rpm and 80mph for 1000 miles. Didn’t say anything about drive modes. Sh*t

78degrees 10-21-2017 01:34 PM

They actually recommend that you stay in comfort mode during the break in.
After the break in and before the rear diff oil change I've heard that they recommend using the race mode and give the rear diff som beating.. (Don't think this part is official..)

2012 merc amg 10-21-2017 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7292023)
They actually recommend that you stay in comfort mode during the break in.
After the break in and before the rear diff oil change I've heard that they recommend using the race mode and give the rear diff som beating.. (Don't think this part is official..)

It's a scary thing having to let the service dept drive the car during prep when it is new, they need to take the car to the gas station and test drive it. Who knows what they do to the car.