Canyon Carver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by E634Me
I use both the shuffle and the 9 & 3. Kind of depends on what I’m driving and where.

Used to do 10 & 2 as taught years ago, but at the Audi school they had us change to 9 & 3 as you get more wheel movement before your wrists cross. Looking forward to the AMG school.

It’s been years since I used to do a lot of driving on snow and ice, and I’ve since wondered about using the shuffle method when you’re getting fast rear end movement and needing to go quickly to nearly full lock and back and not lose track of center. Just need practice I suppose

Hearing that rally drivers use the shuffle is a pretty good endorsement . Wonder what method drift car drivers prefer?
They shuffle. It's important to take into consideration the steering rack ratios and how tight and if the corners are decreasing radius but what do I know about driving in the canyons
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ronin amg
Maybe do some research and learn how to do it properly.

https://www.bobbyoresports.com
http://guysurvivalguide.com/survive/...ffle-steering/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IJL6rwe_8

Rudi Uhlenhaut, the famous Mercedes-Benz race engineer and development driver of the Fifties and Sixties, was a shuffler. Rally drivers tend to shuffle because they frequently turn the wheel more than one hundred and eighty degrees in a corner. And the famous Evolution School teaches its autocrossing students a variation of shuffle-steering in which the driver makes oneposition change before the corner and maintains constant position through that corner.

I've owned group B rally cars and drove them all with this technique safely in the canyons but you are welcome to follow me in the canyons with your hands taped to the wheel at 9-3 if you can..
Rallying is one thing... but driving through the canyons as you were in your video does not require a shuffle, IMO. It simply isn't smooth.

But hey everyone has their own style I guess !! Seems to work for you.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MTV10
Rallying is one thing... but driving through the canyons as you were in your video does not require a shuffle, IMO. It simply isn't smooth.

But hey everyone has their own style I guess !! Seems to work for you.
It's not smooth, says someone that doesn't know better, seriously to you guys that think you know how to drive in the canyons with your 9-3 hand positions come out to LA and try and follow me through the canyons. Hell the first two corners required enough input to twist your arms like Gumby on a hot summer day, on a rough road like this you would be screwed big time..
We'll video it and if you can do it without shuffle or hand over hand I'll buy you lunch and post up the video proving how right you were.....Come on it'll be fun, it's just like a nice smooth tarmac racetrack with a clear line of sight through each corner.

I think the E63s AMG wagon is just the perfect do it all car.

Last edited by ronin amg; 12-03-2017 at 07:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vic55 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh yeah I added a bit of faux carbon fiber vinyl over the chrome tailgate strip to keep the carbon fiber package in balance..
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Oh yeah I added a bit of faux carbon fiber vinyl over the chrome tailgate strip to keep the carbon fiber package in balance..
Great vanity plate...strictly NOT HONDA related
That carbon strip should be in the factory package... I love it.
I don't have canyons to carve sadly, but I avoid crossing over the 12-o'clock median of the steering wheel for the very reason the guy in the video said: leave nothing between the airbag and your face.
Thanks and safe driving!
ronin amg (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by Clk63blkseries
That sick but is it street legal ???

By the way the bedding at the factory on Carbon brakes is for the street . High speed canyons or track driving is a whole additional bedding procedure . It was the same deal with my Viper ACR brakes
You are correct, but the factory pads and rotors are already set for "street" you want race bedding you will need new pads.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:50 PM

?
in fact it feels about the same as my old 991 Turbo S in the corners with it's all wheel steering.
Really....are you saying that you cant feel the difference in the wheelbase and weight.. or you just are being overly enthusiastic, or...! LOL.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Astolfo
Really....are you saying that you cant feel the difference in the wheelbase and weight.. or you just are being overly enthusiastic, or...! LOL.
I'm driving at the same speed I drove my Turbo S in the canyons.
The weight is surprisingly only noticeable in the downhill braking sections and the wheelbase is not an issue if you remember that there is still all that car behind you as you round a tight hairpin.
Hey I really dig the car and I do not miss my 991 Turbo S at all except for maybe the gas mileage.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32 AM

?
I'm driving at the same speed I drove my Turbo S in the canyons.
The weight is surprisingly only noticeable in the downhill braking sections and the wheelbase is not an issue if you remember that there is still all that car behind you as you round a tight hairpin.
Hey I really dig the car and I do not miss my 991 Turbo S at all except for maybe the gas mileage.
I guess we would have to disagree, because I would say that if one does not notice wheel base in a sharp/hairpin turns then one is not driving fast enough.

I have a 911t and 2 63s wagons (a 15 with steel and 16 with ccb), and IMHO the wagons are nowhere close to the 911t in braking, accelerating and turning. I just drove the new E63s in Jerez and not all that different from the 15/16. The new engine is a little more quick to rev up, but still a lot understeer, needing a lot of input when entering corners, similar weight transfer issues.

Hell the more I think...we must be driving way too different cars... just the weight transfer and breaking are in different categories.
BTW I LOVE my wagons.

Congrats in your new car. I like the color. But saying that the wagon is like a 911t or ts, is like saying you have a rainbow unicorn that ****s $100 dollar bills.....

Last edited by Astolfo; 12-04-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
It's not smooth, says someone that doesn't know better, seriously to you guys that think you know how to drive in the canyons with your 9-3 hand positions come out to LA and try and follow me through the canyons. Hell the first two corners required enough input to twist your arms like Gumby on a hot summer day, on a rough road like this you would be screwed big time..
We'll video it and if you can do it without shuffle or hand over hand I'll buy you lunch and post up the video proving how right you were.....Come on it'll be fun, it's just like a nice smooth tarmac racetrack with a clear line of sight through each corner.

I think the E63s AMG wagon is just the perfect do it all car.
Ok champ. You keep shuffling that wheel.

Proof is in the video... it's so unnecessary for 90% of the curves. So many times you shuffled, then had to bring your hand back to pull on the paddle and then re-grip the steering wheel. Too much going on, sorry.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Astolfo
I guess we would have to disagree, because I would say that if one does not notice wheel base in a sharp/hairpin turns then one is not driving fast enough.

I have a 911t and 2 63s wagons (a 15 with steel and 16 with ccb), and IMHO the wagons are nowhere close to the 911t in braking, accelerating and turning. I just drove the new E63s in Jerez and not all that different from the 15/16. The new engine is a little more quick to rev up, but still a lot understeer, needing a lot of input when entering corners, similar weight transfer issues.

Hell the more I think...we must be driving way too different cars... just the weight transfer and breaking are in different categories.
BTW I LOVE my wagons.

Congrats in your new car. I like the color.
My car is lowered with proper alignment and tuned to 680 hp 728 ft tq and if you read my post you would know I did mention the wheelbase and weight when braking. As for understeer I guess you may be braking to late and not throttle steering through the corners. Of course it will not brake better than a car 1,000 lbs lighter with CCB.
Spend more time behind the wheel of a proper 2018 E63s AMG wagon in the canyons or just enjoy what you have.

Yeah the color is cool.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MTV10
Ok champ. You keep shuffling that wheel.

Proof is in the video... it's so unnecessary for 90% of the curves. So many times you shuffled, then had to bring your hand back to pull on the paddle and then re-grip the steering wheel. Too much going on, sorry.
Ok sport, how about you post up a nice tight canyon video of your skills behind the wheel of your beast and show me how it's done or better yet come out and if you can keep up I'll buy lunch.
Oh yeah there is no crossing the centerline at any time..
Old 12-04-2017, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya know I joined MBWorld to see what other guys have done to their cars and maybe gain a few ideas. I did not join to criticize others driving skills if they have any at all.
So take your comments elsewhere and ignore my postings...
Cheers
Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
My car is lowered with proper alignment and tuned to 680 hp 728 ft tq
Sweet... those are impressive numbers. Does the tuner provide a dyno graph with that? Also, can you take a pic of that interior? Not many of Nutbrown interiors, which probably looks great with that paint.

My '14 AMG wagon had the GPS / SAT radio antenna on the rear roof section... where is MB putting that now?
Cheers
ronin amg (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 AMG 63S wagon
Ya know I joined MBWorld to see what other guys have done to their cars and maybe gain a few ideas. I did not join to criticize others driving skills if they have any at all.
So take your comments elsewhere and ignore my postings...
Cheers
Hard to ignore someone that once it can’t defend his/her comments starts “attacking” others.
Just to start
  1. you have no clue as how I drive, and we all do on how you do because of your video.
  2. I drove over 100 laps in Jerez, in my brother’s e63 while he drove his RS. 3 sets of tires in the e63, 2 in the RS. Then he drove his e63 and I drove my c63 wagon for another 68 laps.
  3. the comment that a e63s handles as good as 911ts is just not true, show me one lap time done in any of the benchmark circuits where the e63 either saloon or state, come even close to a 911t, or ts.
Anyways, enjoy your e63s unicorn, I do love mine but I have no dilutions about it’s capbilities, that alone makes me a better driver compared to one that does not recognize the limitations and capabilities of a car. Still the c63 wagon handles better than the e63. Way better but they are different animals so it is very unfair to compare.
Back to important things
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 24Hours
Sweet... those are impressive numbers. Does the tuner provide a dyno graph with that? Also, can you take a pic of that interior? Not many of Nutbrown interiors, which probably looks great with that paint.

My '14 AMG wagon had the GPS / SAT radio antenna on the rear roof section... where is MB putting that now?
Cheers
I'm gonna find an AWD dyno this week and check the numbers for my self..

The nut brown carbon fiber to black interior is awesome. I just brought the car to my closest MB dealer to have one of my soft close doors adjusted and every service writer came out to take pictures and congratulate me on the combo... It's good to be king

24Hours (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really dig the way this car keeps checking all the boxes for me in the canyons and on the way to them..

Last edited by ronin amg; 12-04-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS
Whats your favorite canyon road? Thinking about doing some canyon driving this week
Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by astolfor
Hard to ignore someone that once it can’t defend his/her comments starts “attacking” others.
Just to start
  1. you have no clue as how I drive, and we all do on how you do because of your video.
  2. I drove over 100 laps in Jerez, in my brother’s e63 while he drove his RS. 3 sets of tires in the e63, 2 in the RS. Then he drove his e63 and I drove my c63 wagon for another 68 laps.
  3. the comment that a e63s handles as good as 911ts is just not true, show me one lap time done in any of the benchmark circuits where the e63 either saloon or state, come even close to a 911t, or ts.
Anyways, enjoy your e63s unicorn, I do love mine but I have no dilutions about it’s capbilities, that alone makes me a better driver compared to one that does not recognize the limitations and capabilities of a car. Still the c63 wagon handles better than the e63. Way better but they are different animals so it is very unfair to compare.
Back to important things
Again you fail to read my posts correctly as to braking and wheelbase and I do know when someone thinks he is a better driver because he does a few track days tells me just the opposite in the real world .
A cars capabilities are not determined solely on a race track where you can pick your line and braking points. Now take it out into the canyons and see if you can stay in your own 12' lane at a nice sporty pace.
I can say with complete confidence from your ego-postings that you "can't" stay in your own damn lane on a canyon / mountain road. I see it all the time..

Enjoy being better than everyone else, so special..
Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Quickburn7
Whats your favorite canyon road? Thinking about doing some canyon driving this week
If you want to get use to the car's handling I say start out on Little Tajunga to Soladad Canyon to Angeles Forest Hwy to Upper Big Tajunga to Angeles Crest Hwy 2.
This route will give you everything from a special stage tarmac rally road-hillclimb to smooth high speed sweepers and great vistas to enjoy when you slow down.
Be safe and never cross the centerline. There is no cell- service on these roads so you are on your own if things go bad. I keep an iridium sat phone with me when ever I dive in the canyons / mountains.

Let me know what day and maybe we can meet up and get some drone video and pics..

Last edited by ronin amg; 12-04-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Quickburn7 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS
If you want to get use to the car's handling I say start out on Little Tajunga to Soladad Canyon to Angeles Forest Hwy to Upper Big Tajunga to Angeles Crest Hwy 2.
This route will give you everything from a special stage tarmac rally road-hillclimb to smooth high speed sweepers and great vistas to enjoy when you slow down.
Be safe and never cross the centerline. There is no cell- service on these roads so you are on your own if things go bad. I keep an iridium sat phone with me when ever I dive in the canyons / mountains.

Let me know what day and maybe we can meet up and get some drone video and pics..
It would have to be a weekend as my weekdays are busy with work but pretty much Saturday or Sunday. Looks to me like a great day of driving!

ronin amg (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I love how every likes to tell every else how to drive. Unless both or all parties have driven the same roads I would have to say let the OP show his video and ask questions but the judging is futile IMHO since no one else has been driving where he has. Who cares how his style is, is there a perfect way to drive a wagon? I think its much like any sport; we all have our own ways of executing and feeling competitive. Driving ability in regards to form is highly subjective, the only thing empirical are times if that was even measured. But here how do we know any one would be faster without the "shuffle" approach unless he/she drove the course and compared times.
ronin amg (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vic55
I love how every likes to tell every else how to drive. Unless both or all parties have driven the same roads I would have to say let the OP show his video and ask questions but the judging is futile IMHO since no one else has been driving where he has. Who cares how his style is, is there a perfect way to drive a wagon? I think its much like any sport; we all have our own ways of executing and feeling competitive. Driving ability in regards to form is highly subjective, the only thing empirical are times if that was even measured. But here how do we know any one would be faster without the "shuffle" approach unless he/she drove the course and compared times.
Right Vic but I don't give a **** if someone thinks they are faster than me because I'm not racing or do I care.
I posted the video to show guys that the E63s AMG wagon can be driven as hard as my 991 Turbo S the first time out. This is the reason I don't drive in groups of egos out of control in the canyons.
My driving style has served me well over the years in Group B rally cars to my many old performance street cars and if someone thinks they are a better driver well good for them.
I don't need to shove a yard stick down my pants to measure my manhood or toss out what cars I've owned and driven in the past or present to impress others because I'm pretty sure I've got most people beat.
Here is the same road in my Turbo S..oh and for smiles here is my Rs211 on the same road also..

Last edited by ronin amg; 12-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Please keep the posts ON topic- I have deleted the videos that are irrelevant and were just posted to annoy the OP.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vic55:
E634Me (12-04-2017), E63guy (12-05-2017), ronin amg (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I'm gonna find an AWD dyno this week and check the numbers for my self..

The nut brown carbon fiber to black interior is awesome. I just brought the car to my closest MB dealer to have one of my soft close doors adjusted and every service writer came out to take pictures and congratulate me on the combo... It's good to be king

That is stunning, honestly. Nice job on that one, jeez. Strikes the right combination between sporty and elegant. Love it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Canyon Carver