W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acoustic Comfort Package and Window Tint Question

Old 12-27-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Acoustic Comfort Package and Window Tint Question

My E63S just arrived to the port today so I should be taking delivery within the next week or two so I have been looking into window tint. One of the options I ordered was the "Acoustic Comfort Package". Here is a portion of the description from Mercedes:

"The windshield and front door windows are all laminated with an acoustic membrane. The windshield and rear window are also infrared-absorbing, helping to block outside noise and the sun's harsh rays."

My questions is, should I bother with Ceramic window tint because the front and rear windows are "infrared-absorbing" and just go with a good quality non-ceramic tint? The way it's worded, it sounds like the side windows are not infrared-absorbing (just the windshield and rear window). Or, would Ceramic tint help block out more infrared rays? Maybe just add Ceramic to the side windows but I don't know if that would look different from the front and rear window. Did anyone with the Acoustic Comfort Package tint their windows with Ceramic or regular tint?
Old 12-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I have the ACP and still used ceramic tint on the windows... no way I was going to take a chance without it. Im driving around today in 73 degree weather (SoCal) and the car is still hot inside after facing the sun for a few hours with the tint and the ACP:

The following 3 users liked this post by Vic55:
24Hours (06-12-2019), BC-2 (12-27-2017), tonecas (05-13-2018)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 PM

2018 E63S
Thanks for the input Vic. I'll probably go with ceramic, can't hurt.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
What brand of ceramic tint do you guys use?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Bibenstein
What brand of ceramic tint do you guys use?
My guy uses LLumar but there are many brands that carry the proper composition from a ceramic standpoint.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
I use Huper Optik
Old 12-31-2017, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Between LLumar and Huper Optik in terms of warranty or installation problems, I would go with LLumar. There are tons of LLumar authorized shops nationwide and any of them can take care of problems with the film or installations as long as it's originally installed at an authorized shop. Not so with Huper Optik; iirc you have to go back to the original shop that installed it.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2013 E350 Cabriolet, 2005 E320 Wagon
We have the Acoustic Comfort package on our E63S including the infrared glass but still could feel too much solar gain within the interior. We had Huper Optik tint on our 2005 E Wagon and it looked and worked as perfectly after 13 years as it did when new so we put Huper Optik on our new E63S wagon too. Huper Optik KKAR 85 on the front windshield, Huper Optik Ceramic 70 on the driver and passenger windows, and Huper Optik Ceramic 30 on the rest of the windows (including the sunroofs). Thanks to Richard at All American Window Tinting in Denver for a flawless and invisible installation!

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
The following 3 users liked this post by WalterRoss:
24Hours (01-29-2018), bobblehead (01-29-2018), tonecas (05-13-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
E90 M3
^ Great info. Any issues with radar detectors, toll pass, or keyless entry with the HO tint?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
2020 E63S4S
Originally Posted by BC-2
My E63S just arrived to the port today so I should be taking delivery within the next week or two so I have been looking into window tint. One of the options I ordered was the "Acoustic Comfort Package". Here is a portion of the description from Mercedes:

"The windshield and front door windows are all laminated with an acoustic membrane. The windshield and rear window are also infrared-absorbing, helping to block outside noise and the sun's harsh rays."

My questions is, should I bother with Ceramic window tint because the front and rear windows are "infrared-absorbing" and just go with a good quality non-ceramic tint? The way it's worded, it sounds like the side windows are not infrared-absorbing (just the windshield and rear window). Or, would Ceramic tint help block out more infrared rays? Maybe just add Ceramic to the side windows but I don't know if that would look different from the front and rear window. Did anyone with the Acoustic Comfort Package tint their windows with Ceramic or regular tint?

Side windows are infrared absorbing. I ended up having 40% 3M Crystalline installed on my wagon. Works too well, that so far this winter the wagon doesn't heat up with the help of the sun, have to wait for the heater to heat up the interior space. I'm sure come summer I'll be happy the wagon isn't burning up from the sun though.

The following users liked this post:
tonecas (05-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 E63s
I have the ACP on my wagon as well. So from what I've read there's no harm in tinting the windows, correct?

Originally Posted by WalterRoss
We have the Acoustic Comfort package on our E63S including the infrared glass but still could feel too much solar gain within the interior. We had Huper Optik tint on our 2005 E Wagon and it looked and worked as perfectly after 13 years as it did when new so we put Huper Optik on our new E63S wagon too. Huper Optik KKAR 85 on the front windshield, Huper Optik Ceramic 70 on the driver and passenger windows, and Huper Optik Ceramic 30 on the rest of the windows (including the sunroofs). Thanks to Richard at All American Window Tinting in Denver for a flawless and invisible installation!

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
Any particular reason you did the sunroof? I thought the SR is already tinted from the factory?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:41 PM

2018 E63S
Just a follow up to my OP, I ended up getting tint on all the windows except the windshield and sunroof. I went with Crystalline 20% and discovered that it did in fact further reduce heat. So IMO, it is worth getting ceramic tint, even if you have the Acoustic Comfort Package.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 E63s
Originally Posted by BC-2
Just a follow up to my OP, I ended up getting tint on all the windows except the windshield and sunroof. I went with Crystalline 20% and discovered that it did in fact further reduce heat. So IMO, it is worth getting ceramic tint, even if you have the Acoustic Comfort Package.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I have the ACP and was wondering if there was any harm adding tint to the windows. Since tint "reflects" the heat and the ACP has a "heat absorbing mebrane" I was curious to know if anyone was having problems with this? I have currently had two window tint installers tell me it was not a good idea and a third is trying to get a confirmation with the tint manufacturer if it should be done. I'm assuming it will NOT be a problem but why did two installers tell me it would not a good idea.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 E63S
No problem on my car. Tinting these windows may lead to some more mirror effect than on normal windows.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:06 PM

2018 E63S
It's been over a year since I got my windows tinted and my car has been subjected to fairly high temps as well as low temps. No issues.
Old 07-16-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 450
I have the same acoustic package, which I love and I did high end ceramic all around. One fun, not so funny thing about the infrared-absorbing windows, I have to put my gate clicker out the window to get the gate to open into our neighborhood, or pull up very close for it to work if windows are closed. Not an issue for the garage doors bc they are programmed in the Mercedes buttons.

Front 55%

Looking thru front window

35% driver side and passenger side

Back sides and rear window at 5%
Old 07-16-2022, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Sandriatica
I have the same acoustic package, which I love and I did high end ceramic all around. One fun, not so funny thing about the infrared-absorbing windows, I have to put my gate clicker out the window to get the gate to open into our neighborhood, or pull up very close for it to work if windows are closed. Not an issue for the garage doors bc they are programmed in the Mercedes buttons.
There are a couple spots which are identified in the owners manual where RFID tags, remote controls, and radar detectors, etc. can be placed. With light at the right angle you can see the areas when standing outside the car looking back at the windshield.

I did some testing the past weekend at a number of frequencies from around 1 GHz to 6 GHz on how much attenuation the windshield presents to RF signals. RFID tags typically operate around 915 MHz and some cellular and 5G signals are in the range I tested as well. I didn't have a good frequency source to test above 6 GHz but will get around to that.

What I did find is the windshield does present more than 10 dB of attenuation depending on what frequency is being considered and the attenuation increased as the frequency got higher.

There was a 5G industry article on this not long ago regarding comparison testing of different 5G services and in order to do apples to apples comparisons they were looking to come up with standard values for losses through various media, and newer automobile glass was one of them. It was noted that 5G has a pretty tough time penetrating some of the newer windshields - and probably some side glass too.

I imagine some tinting files will be worse than others, as is the impact to some 5G bands - the 28 GHz mmW 5G used by Verizon is pretty much blocked by about anything. So good luck if you're trying to use that inside the car
Sandriatica (07-16-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 08:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63
Originally Posted by E634Me
There are a couple spots which are identified in the owners manual where RFID tags, remote controls, and radar detectors, etc. can be placed. With light at the right angle you can see the areas when standing outside the car looking back at the windshield.

I did some testing the past weekend at a number of frequencies from around 1 GHz to 6 GHz on how much attenuation the windshield presents to RF signals. RFID tags typically operate around 915 MHz and some cellular and 5G signals are in the range I tested as well. I didn't have a good frequency source to test above 6 GHz but will get around to that.

What I did find is the windshield does present more than 10 dB of attenuation depending on what frequency is being considered and the attenuation increased as the frequency got higher.

There was a 5G industry article on this not long ago regarding comparison testing of different 5G services and in order to do apples to apples comparisons they were looking to come up with standard values for losses through various media, and newer automobile glass was one of them. It was noted that 5G has a pretty tough time penetrating some of the newer windshields - and probably some side glass too.

I imagine some tinting files will be worse than others, as is the impact to some 5G bands - the 28 GHz mmW 5G used by Verizon is pretty much blocked by about anything. So good luck if you're trying to use that inside the car
RFID tags are basically useless on my 2021 S580. I’ve tried putting them in the “approved” areas on both the inside and outside of the window and neither works. If I roll down the driver’s window and put the tag outside the vehicle by 3-4 inches then it works

Living in FL this is a PIA as we get frequent heavy rain
Sandriatica (03-21-2023)