W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunky transmission when coming to stop

Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2007 S65 AMG
Clunky transmission when coming to stop

Anyone else have an issue where the transmission “clunks” into first gear when they come to a stop? If I slow to a stop and the trans is in 2nd, you can feel a rather jarring movement as the car slips back into 1st. It’s obvious in Comfort and even more pronounced in Sport.

2018 E63s Wagon, 205 miles
Old 01-15-2018, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
I had a similar situation happened to me 2-3 times thus far (about 1000 miles into ownership). It has not happened again in the last week at all. Looks to be gremlin issue for now.

Also, mine has this random 'thud' / soft jolt 1-2 seconds after I have made a full stop. It does not happen all the time, no matter it's in C or S mode and/or even have the Start/Stop function on/off. The sensation of mine is like I am tapped on the rear bumper from behind ever so gently. I googled this and it has happened to other non AMG cars too. It appears it is a software issue with the tranny on those cars, but not sure if this applies to ours. I have already made an appt to have them check out next month when I am going to do the rear diff. fluid change.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Could that be part of the adaptive "learning" of the tranny?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:42 PM

2007 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by bobblehead
I had a similar situation happened to me 2-3 times thus far (about 1000 miles into ownership). It has not happened again in the last week at all. Looks to be gremlin issue for now.

Also, mine has this random 'thud' / soft jolt 1-2 seconds after I have made a full stop. It does not happen all the time, no matter it's in C or S mode and/or even have the Start/Stop function on/off. The sensation of mine is like I am tapped on the rear bumper from behind ever so gently. I googled this and it has happened to other non AMG cars too. It appears it is a software issue with the tranny on those cars, but not sure if this applies to ours. I have already made an appt to have them check out next month when I am going to do the rear diff. fluid change.
That’s exactly what it feels like, you come to a stop and then one second after the car stops moving it feels like you get bumped from behind. If you watch the gear selector in the dash as the automatic transmission is shifting through gears, you can physically see the transmission go from second gear to first exactly when that jolt happens. It doesn’t happen in sport+, because in sport+ the trans is already in 1st by the time you come to a rolling stop.

It’s been rather annoying and I notice it every time I come to a stop. I don’t know if this is normal behavior or a problem that other people are experiencing

Last edited by Fonzie AMG; 01-15-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmm, since it happened to you and me, I guess we will have to wait for others to check in with their experience (if any at all). If we get little feedbacks, then it must be the odd software issue.

It is a bit annoying for sure.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
I have just a bit over 500 miles on my car now and it does it too but only when the engine & transmission are cold. So far it only happens for the first couple stops and when everything is warmed up, it doesn't do it. Hopefully, it doesn't get worse. Does yours do this even after everything is up to operating temperatures?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:02 PM

2007 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by BC-2
I have just a bit over 500 miles on my car now and it does it too but only when the engine & transmission are cold. So far it only happens for the first couple stops and when everything is warmed up, it doesn't do it. Hopefully, it doesn't get worse. Does yours do this even after everything is up to operating temperatures?
Yes unfortunately it happens throughout the drive, not just when cold. I've been experimenting a lot between comfort, S and S+. Like I said in S+, the issue isn't there at all, because the car is already in 1st by the time it stops. In C or S, when you roll to a stop in 2nd, the car jolts as it slips back into 1st. Glad to hear it's not just me, but still concerning.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I just dont have this situation occurring but did on my 2010 W212 E63.... I only drive in Sport + and Im tuned so who knows.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For me, it happened when car is totally warmed up and in normal operating temp. (do note that at where I am, the outside ambient temp is around -5 to -20 degree Cel. for most days when it happened).
Old 01-15-2018, 04:36 PM

2007 S65 AMG
I just brought the car by the dealership and talked to the service manager. He said it’s a known issue with any 63 AMG as they all share the same transmission. He said they are working on a software update for it and will let me know when it comes out. Clearly it’s a known issue and hopefully it will be resolved soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fonzie AMG:
1111motors (02-22-2023), bobblehead (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But our car has the 9 speed. Totally different from the old 7 speed
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM

2007 S65 AMG
It seems like they had been getting the complaint about previous model 63's. As soon as I started explaining the problem he was able to describe it to me perfectly. What he said about us all having the "same transmissions" was off but he was confident there will be a software update coming for it. I talked to Renntech to see if their ECU tune will have any impact on TCU or tranny behavior (as I'm going to tune as soon as I hit 1k miles) but they said no. It's definitely an obnoxious issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fonzie AMG:
1111motors (02-22-2023), bobblehead (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks ... it would be great to update this thread once you have the dealer service bulletin # handy so I can relay this to my dealer (so they cannot play dumb)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:12 PM

2007 S65 AMG
thanks ... it would be great to update this thread once you have the dealer service bulletin # handy so I can relay this to my dealer (so they cannot play dumb)
I'm going to stay all over it and continue to bother the dealership about a resolution.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.

From the way you describe it, 1-2 seconds after you have made a full stop it sure sounds like what you are feeling is the Auto engine Stop feature turning the engine off in eco mode. Then when the car restarts itself if you sit there long enough you feel another thud, I sometimes have to look in my rearview mirror because it feels just like the car behind me tapped my bumper. But ya, this transmission is a little jerky at times kinda like the old 7 speed was in my 2012 AMG Wagon, I got pretty well use to it in that car and both cars are worse with this when they are cold. I especially feel it driving with the hand controls because the controls are pretty sensitive, but really does not bother me as I'm pretty well use to it. Just hit 4000 miles on my car a couple days ago. Sometimes when I get in my S550 it's a real joy because that car is so silky smooth, different type of Trans. But then when I really get on that car I miss the extra 150 hp the Amg has on tap.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Not totally different at all. Obviously the software and some hardware are different but it’s the same transmission plus the two gears that were left out of the W212’s 7spd.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 AM

2007 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey

Not totally different at all. Obviously the software and some hardware are different but it’s the same transmission plus the two gears that were left out of the W212’s 7spd.
yeah the service manager seemed pretty confident when he said it was an issue they were already dealing with. He said they recently took a GLS 63 apart trying to figure it out a couple months ago. Hoping the software update comes soon, I notice it on literally every stop now lol
Old 01-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Just an update on my car. I went for a quick drive last night (the car had been sitting all day) and it never did the 2nd to 1st lurch (comfort mode). Thinking about it, it really only did it the last couple times I drove the car so I kinda assumed it had always did it when cold. However, I don’t remember it ever doing it up until a few days ago. Based on what others have posted, it seems some owners continually experience this while others do on occasion to others never having this issue. I guess I’m in the occasional group.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
From the way you describe it, 1-2 seconds after you have made a full stop it sure sounds like what you are feeling is the Auto engine Stop feature turning the engine off in eco mode. Then when the car restarts itself if you sit there long enough you feel another thud, I sometimes have to look in my rearview mirror because it feels just like the car behind me tapped my bumper. But ya, this transmission is a little jerky at times kinda like the old 7 speed was in my 2012 AMG Wagon, I got pretty well use to it in that car and both cars are worse with this when they are cold. I especially feel it driving with the hand controls because the controls are pretty sensitive, but really does not bother me as I'm pretty well use to it. Just hit 4000 miles on my car a couple days ago. Sometimes when I get in my S550 it's a real joy because that car is so silky smooth, different type of Trans. But then when I really get on that car I miss the extra 150 hp the Amg has on tap.
No difference whether it is in Auto Stop/Start or not. I have already tried both situation. The thud only comes after I made the stop and if I am in the stop & go type of traffic (like inch by inch moving along), it does not give me that thud issue. It mainly resulted from the car having been moving along and say I drove about 100 meters and then make the stop and then there is that thud, ever so slightly.

The first time it happened, I really thought the car behind me tapped me on the rear bumper but my sensor did not go off at all.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:28 AM

2007 S65 AMG
No difference whether it is in Auto Stop/Start or not. I have already tried both situation. The thud only comes after I made the stop and if I am in the stop & go type of traffic (like inch by inch moving along), it does not give me that thud issue. It mainly resulted from the car having been moving along and say I drove about 100 meters and then make the stop and then there is that thud, ever so slightly.

The first time it happened, I really thought the car behind me tapped me on the rear bumper but my sensor did not go off at all.
the reason why it’s not happening as you’re inching along in traffic is because the car is staying in 1st gear. It happens after you drive a bit because it shifts out of first - the thump comes when you come to a stop and the tranny klunks back into 1st from 2nd.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now you mentioned it (going to 2 to 1 gear), I will keep my eyes on it when that thud happens ...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM

2007 S65 AMG
Now you mentioned it (going to 2 to 1 gear), I will keep my eyes on it when that thud happens ...
it’s like clockwork, that’s exactly when the lurch/clunk happens. Change your dash so you can see the gears changing and watch yourself come to a stop in 2... and as soon as it changes back to 1... boom.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This has been a problem on Benz transmissions 7gtronic for a while

Old 01-19-2018, 02:48 PM

2007 S65 AMG
It's almost like my car knew I was complaining about it. I've experienced several days recently where the 2-1 clunk issue is only happening about 50% of the stops. No rhyme or reason, I can't figure out a pattern or behavior that triggers it. Such an odd issue, hopefully there really is a software fix in the works.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine has not acted up in the last couple of days at all

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clunky transmission when coming to stop