Deactivating sound generator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by whoover
Switching to Sport and beyond not only stiffens the three-chamber air springs, firms up the adaptive dampers, quickens shifts, and increases steering effort; it also causes the audio system’s speakers to amplify the engine’s noise. It’s cheating, but it’s cheating for our team—and, more important, it doesn’t sound fake. That’s the V-8 playing through the speakers.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Our test car’s tailpipe music was enhanced by the $1250 dual-mode AMG Performance exhaust option. Some additional sound also is piped in through the speakers, but it sounds like a live recording of the actual engine, so we’ll give that trickery a pass.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-test-review

Mercedes does pump a few subtle, engine-enhancing frequencies through the E63’s audio system.
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/162...f-sport-sedans

Mercedes quotes 3.3 seconds to 60 mph, launch control engaged, and while we'll always miss AMG's old naturally aspirated V8s, this 4.0-liter twin-turbo sounds just as rude. Yes, some of the engine noises are piped through the stereo. It's a pipe organ you can live with.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-first-drive/
Hmm. I check to see if there are any fuses related to the performance exhaust. I actually find the car quiet on the inside...
Old 11-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Originally Posted by friskygeek
I also listen exclusively to prog house, deep house, chill, ambient etc (not "EDM" bull****, proper underground electronic music) and Im on the fence about adding the 3D High End on my build. My first ever AMG. They bumped the price up to $5,400 so it warrants a think. However, Im pretty sure I'll end up getting it because i'll regret it if I dont Im sure
The Burmester 3D is in a whole different league than the standard stereo. I have extensive real world time with both systems and with a 256GB SD card loaded with high quality rips. The 3D system is beautiful. The standard is quite good for a standard system but lacks impact, clarity, imaging, and volume. If you listen low, then no need to upgrade. If you listen at louder levels, the upgrade stereo is the best I have heard from a factory system. and I have had the Bang and Olufson in my Audi S6 and a tweaked upgrade system in my 2009 M3 with a sub amp and upgraded under seat subs. The Burmester 3D is superb.

The following 2 users liked this post by Audiodog:
friskygeek (11-05-2018), whoover (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2012 Ferrari FF, 1992 911 C2, 2019 e63s wagon (no longer lives at the Baltimore VPC)
Originally Posted by Audiodog

The Burmester 3D is in a whole different league than the standard stereo. I have extensive real world time with both systems and with a 256GB SD card loaded with high quality rips. The 3D system is beautiful. The standard is quite good for a standard system but lacks impact, clarity, imaging, and volume. If you listen low, then no need to upgrade. If you listen at louder levels, the upgrade stereo is the best I have heard from a factory system. and I have had the Bang and Olufson in my Audi S6 and a tweaked upgrade system in my 2009 M3 with a sub amp and upgraded under seat subs. The Burmester 3D is superb.
Sadly, this was not an option on the wagon. I wonder why?
Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by VPC_E63S
Sadly, this was not an option on the wagon. I wonder why?
I'm sure the speaker complement and placement would have to be re-engineered because the acoustic space is so different. My guess is that the fixed cost of that re-engineering would be too high for the number of units sold.
The following users liked this post:
VPC_E63S (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
It sounds fantastic no doubt but for me wasn't worth the 5400 premium.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:35 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Not bad if you lease. I only paid for like 44% of the 4800 or so. Totally worth it. Best stereo I have had in a car.

Originally Posted by jkob5
It sounds fantastic no doubt but for me wasn't worth the 5400 premium.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S

I completely agree. I’m not even an audiofile nor have I listened to uncompressed music on mine but the difference from the standard system is night and day.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 LR Disco HSE LUX, 2019 E63S, 2019 Sierra AT4

Does the system play FLAC off the SDs? I currently have an S6 with the B&O and love the sound. As my screen name implies I have my SDs loaded with tons of lossless Grateful Dead. I’m excitedly to get the car if they ever release it. Partial to check out the sound system.
E666 (02-17-2022)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:31 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
It does play FLAC. However, sometimes there are issues with the Id tags being read correctly with the flacs, best to makes sure all is labeled thoroughly and correctly. I typically use FLAC squisher and convert to the highest quality compression available, It really will sound as good in the car. I have compared it is worth it save the space for me.
Originally Posted by kcjonz

Does the system play FLAC off the SDs? I currently have an S6 with the B&O and love the sound. As my screen name implies I have my SDs loaded with tons of lossless Grateful Dead. I’m excitedly to get the car if they ever release it. Partial to check out the sound system.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Switching to Sport and beyond not only stiffens the three-chamber air springs, firms up the adaptive dampers, quickens shifts, and increases steering effort; it also causes the audio system’s speakers to amplify the engine’s noise. It’s cheating, but it’s cheating for our team—and, more important, it doesn’t sound fake. That’s the V-8 playing through the speakers.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Our test car’s tailpipe music was enhanced by the $1250 dual-mode AMG Performance exhaust option. Some additional sound also is piped in through the speakers, but it sounds like a live recording of the actual engine, so we’ll give that trickery a pass.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-test-review

Mercedes does pump a few subtle, engine-enhancing frequencies through the E63’s audio system.
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/162...f-sport-sedans

Mercedes quotes 3.3 seconds to 60 mph, launch control engaged, and while we'll always miss AMG's old naturally aspirated V8s, this 4.0-liter twin-turbo sounds just as rude. Yes, some of the engine noises are piped through the stereo. It's a pipe organ you can live with.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-first-drive/
I wonder if any of those guys have tested if the speakers are producing sound or if they are just repeating each other...

I mean has anyone stuck a multimeter on them and see if there is any change? Any check thru obd2? Any check if the sound system DSP is really canceling noise and being deactivated when you place the car on sport+ mode, and thus letting the engine sound run free?

Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by tonecas
I wonder if any of those guys have tested if the speakers are producing sound or if they are just repeating each other...

I mean has anyone stuck a multimeter on them and see if there is any change? Any check thru obd2? Any check if the sound system DSP is really canceling noise and being deactivated when you place the car on sport+ mode, and thus letting the engine sound run free?
Concur, does C&D really conduct a technical inspection to confirm? On the M5 there is a public posted tech bulletin (meant for the service techs) that clearly states there is a sound effect in the cabin to mirror exhaust acceleration. Outside of supposition, I cant confirm or deny the E63S has such a product in place.

Maybe someone can reach out to a tech to confirm or get the PDF that was delivered back last year?
Old 11-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE

Old 11-06-2018, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
They rely on what the factory tells them. They wouldn't make it up or copy another mag's review.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
They rely on what the factory tells them. They wouldn't make it up or copy another mag's review.
BTW, Autoweek too.
https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...ts-complicated
Old 11-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
as Vic said, you can’t basically say whatever you want without strong evidence, because people will start questioning regarding that... I really doubt thay have disassembled the car and found something that they didn’t show in their review, because that’s really something new in amg models to hear about
Old 11-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by dav461

as Vic said, you can’t basically say whatever you want without strong evidence, because people will start questioning regarding that... I really doubt thay have disassembled the car and found something that they didn’t show in their review, because that’s really something new in amg models to hear about
Exactly and we own the cars. We have no proof they even spoke to the factory about it. Ill tell you this, from my ownership, I could not hear any sound piping. Now my F90 M5 and newly acquired NSX are loaded with speaker sounds. I have driven my E63S so many times with no music and even had human ears placed on the speakers to confirm. Ill take that tangible testing over what C&D says in an anecdotal statement.

Last edited by Vic55; 11-06-2018 at 06:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vic55:
izzy63 (11-06-2018), Ken Doo (04-18-2019)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
I had seen Bigfoot once............ oh sorry am I off the topic
Vic55 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 AM
sjb

Received 174 Likes on 64 Posts
S213 E63
i learned that the 2019 models are getting a separate combustion engine installed in the glove compartment at the VPC, specifically for noise generation. that’s why the “certification process” is taking so long. i heard this from someone who used to be a moderator on m5board, who once dated someone who used to be married to a service advisor who once knew a marketing manager at MBUSA. soooo, pretty reliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by sjb:
Vic55 (11-07-2018), VPC_E63S (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM

2012 Ferrari FF, 1992 911 C2, 2019 e63s wagon (no longer lives at the Baltimore VPC)
Originally Posted by sjb
i learned that the 2019 models are getting a separate combustion engine installed in the glove compartment at the VPC, specifically for noise generation. that’s why the “certification process” is taking so long. i heard this from someone who used to be a moderator on m5board, who once dated someone who used to be married to a service advisor who once knew a marketing manager at MBUSA. soooo, pretty reliable.
Nice scoop! Finally we are getting some answers here.

However, I do have some questions.

Do you have specs on this engine? Has it passed the CARB certification yet? Can you wrap it? If so, do you use a matte or regular wrap? Can you run this engine in winter? In the EU? How does this affect resale values? Will there be a separate CEL indicator for this engine? Can you retrofit the engine into a 2018? Are you sure I can't? Will BMW come out with a similar engine for the M5 and if so, should I buy that instead? Thanks!
sjb (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by sjb
Actually, I was told they have hired this guy to train all new buyers from this point forward, so they can make their own engine sounds while driving:

Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 PM
sjb

Received 174 Likes on 64 Posts
S213 E63
Originally Posted by VPC_E63S
Nice scoop! Finally we are getting some answers here.

However, I do have some questions.

Do you have specs on this engine? Has it passed the CARB certification yet? Can you wrap it? If so, do you use a matte or regular wrap? Can you run this engine in winter? In the EU? How does this affect resale values? Will there be a separate CEL indicator for this engine? Can you retrofit the engine into a 2018? Are you sure I can't? Will BMW come out with a similar engine for the M5 and if so, should I buy that instead? Thanks!
i don’t have any concrete specs yet, but i have it on good authority that it’s a detuned E43 engine. it can be wrapped in matte wrap but only if the original finish is matte (and that’s delayed from the factory). EU compatibility is not an issue, with the exception of the UK, since the glove box is on the opposite side and the sound piping needs to be rerouted (has to do with the downpipe — it’s complicated). i can’t speak to BMW’s plans for the M5, but if the horsepower wars are any indication, i do expect them to respond in kind for 2020. speculatively speaking though, i would definitely cancel my E63 order and buy two M5s.

Weistec is already in development of a roof-mounted carbonfiber megaphone that projects the sound to the sides and forward (as opposed to “just” behind and inward), for maximum aural dominance. please note: this may or may not void your warranty. you should call RENNtech for opinions.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by sjb
please note: this may or may not void your warranty. you should call RENNtech for opinions.
that was huge jab at people who belive in it
you made my day
Old 11-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sjb

i don’t have any concrete specs yet, but i have it on good authority that it’s a detuned E43 engine. it can be wrapped in matte wrap but only if the original finish is matte (and that’s delayed from the factory). EU compatibility is not an issue, with the exception of the UK, since the glove box is on the opposite side and the sound piping needs to be rerouted (has to do with the downpipe — it’s complicated). i can’t speak to BMW’s plans for the M5, but if the horsepower wars are any indication, i do expect them to respond in kind for 2020. speculatively speaking though, i would definitely cancel my E63 order and buy two M5s.

Weistec is already in development of a roof-mounted carbonfiber megaphone that projects the sound to the sides and forward (as opposed to “just” behind and inward), for maximum aural dominance. please note: this may or may not void your warranty. you should call RENNtech for opinions.
Thanks for the answers. Agree that 33 psi is perfect for the tires. I will therefore order the sport seats and the alcantara headliner!
sjb (11-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2021, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E63S
I can also confirm this is the case with the 2021 E63S. When the car alerts you with the front collision warning system, the engine noise in the interior (along with any audio playing from the Burmeister system) is cut off and the warning is displayed (if you have heads up display) along with an audible alert through the speakers. When the danger has been averted, the engine noise and audio return.

My car is equipped with the acoustic comfort package and there are times when I want a spirited Sport+/manual trans drive experience but don't need the noise piped in. I've been searching for an easy way to turn this off at will or permanently.