W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deactivating sound generator?

Old 01-20-2018, 01:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W212 wagon
Deactivating sound generator?

Anyone know how to turn off the artificial engine and exhaust noises coming from the speakers?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I think that’s urban legend. We tried to see if there was any difference with the sound system on and off, and others have pulled fuses, but no one reports actually hearing any change in engine note or volume.
The following 2 users liked this post by E634Me:
24Hours (05-07-2021), Vic55 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
if there is a sound symposium, its doing a crap job.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Danthedogman
Anyone know how to turn off the artificial engine and exhaust noises coming from the speakers?
No such thing. Only C&D mentions that and even they don’t say that it’s a generated sound, rather that the actual sound is piped in. World of difference, still wrong.
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (01-21-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e300
Sound Generator B63 2018

This is the explanation by MBZ re the CLA 250 "Sound Generator." https://mercedesbenzme.com/qatar/en/...s/cla/features The fuse box for the CLA indicates that the fuse is #28 for the "Sound Generator". In the the 2017, MBZ lists "B63" as "Engine Noise over Speaker". This is exactly what it is -- deceptive, artificial engine sounds piped into the interior of the vehicle to create an impression of a "sporty" engine sound. Would appreciate hearing from anyone with more info on this.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Our cars are E63 amg, not CLA. News to me the CLA has this feature, doubt it.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Try the BMW forums- they got answers
The following 5 users liked this post by 2020:
CarDad (10-30-2018), jcfay (11-04-2018), Mandarin (10-19-2018), s26singh (10-20-2018), Wassaby (11-06-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

A bunch of MB’s have sound generators and have had that for years.
Typically small engines.
The E63 has no sound generator or any kind of artificial sound adjustment unlike the M5...
Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Wolfman
A bunch of MB’s have sound generators and have had that for years.
Typically small engines.
The E63 has no sound generator or any kind of artificial sound adjustment unlike the M5...
Exactly. No sounds generator in the E63. I'm not sure why people try to solve non-existing issues
Old 10-20-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by E634Me
I think that’s urban legend. We tried to see if there was any difference with the sound system on and off, and others have pulled fuses, but no one reports actually hearing any change in engine note or volume.
even if it had one, it won’t be connected to sound system in any way
Old 10-20-2018, 01:18 PM

e300
Sound Generator B63 2018

Originally Posted by dav461

even if it had one, it won’t be connected to sound system in any way
According to Mercedes CLA 250 brochure, the fake engine sound is piped into the vehicle through the sound system. In the 2017, the B63 build sheet indicates "engine noise over speaker." That changed to "Sound Generator" in 2018 but does not appear in any 2018 E-class brochure or manual. See the below link to the description for the "sound" in the CLA 250..

“Ambience

Sporty engine sound - matching the sound to your
drive mode.

The equipment for the sporty engine sound generates an excitingly sporty
engine sound in the vehicle interior based on the selected drive mode and
engine parameters, such as engine speed, load and road speed. As such,
the driver can experience an authentic sports car sound via the sound
system without causing unnecessarily loud exterior noises. Conversely, the
engine noise remains subtly in the background when a comfortable mode
(ECO, Comfort) is selected via DYNAMIC SELECT. The sporty engine sound
can be switched off if desired.” https://mercedesbenzme.com/qatar/en/...s/cla/features

Old 10-20-2018, 01:26 PM

e300
Originally Posted by E634Me
I don't think it is "urban legend." See below:

“Ambience

drive mode.

can be switched off if desired.” https://mercedesbenzme.com/qatar/en/...s/cla/features
Old 10-20-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by miross11
According to Mercedes CLA 250 brochure, the fake engine sound is piped into the vehicle through the sound system. In the 2017, the B63 build sheet indicates "engine noise over speaker." That changed to "Sound Generator" in 2018 but does not appear in any 2018 E-class brochure or manual. See the below link to the description for the "sound" in the CLA 250..

“Ambience

drive mode.

find a blank track with no music or words in it. Play it in car and adjust volume up and down to see any difference. If you really want to find out about such feature.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by miross11

“Ambience

drive mode.

To be clear, the sound generator is not in the E63. Simple as that. What you are describing are for small engine non-AMG models, such as the A, B, CLA, C & E Class, along with other SUV variants. Typically the 200, 250, 300 engine designations 4 cylinders. I heard that the 450 V6 engines may also have that to sound like a V8 but it's important that this is not inclusive of any V8 or the AMG's we are discussing here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
jcfay (11-04-2018), Ken Doo (04-18-2019)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Exactly. No sounds generator in the E63. I'm not sure why people try to solve non-existing issues
No kidding
Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W212 wagon
Sorry to say it but — yes — there is engine / exhaust noise coming through the speaker system. It comes through even if the whole multimedia system is off. It’s subtle and you cant really tell it’s there because you think you are just hearing the engine and exhasut...

I found out when I had the stereo system upgraded w amps and speaker and it was even more appearant. It was actually obnoxious. NavTV finally came out w an interface that allow it to be bypassed. So now the upgraded sounds awesome- and the engine and exhaust is quite. I do have the acoustic comfort pacGe which helps too.

So, yes - the E63S has artificial engine noise coming through the speakers....
Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Sorry to say it but — yes — there is engine / exhaust noise coming through the speaker system. It comes through even if the whole multimedia system is off. It’s subtle and you cant really tell it’s there because you think you are just hearing the engine and exhasut...

I found out when I had the stereo system upgraded w amps and speaker and it was even more appearant. It was actually obnoxious. NavTV finally came out w an interface that allow it to be bypassed. So now the upgraded sounds awesome- and the engine and exhaust is quite. I do have the acoustic comfort pacGe which helps too.

good info! It doesn't knock the car per se, it just helps the senses when enjoying the car ...
Old 11-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S

Any interest in starting a thread discussing your stereo upgrades? If not, that's cool . Maybe just a list of components you uograded, etc?

Old 11-04-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
Any interest in starting a thread discussing your stereo upgrades? If not, that's cool . Maybe just a list of components you uograded, etc?
Find the "base system" quite good. It was much better than the system in the loaner E400 but yet they both look the same?
Since this is a AMG was it upgraded as part of the AMG package?

I know that the motion and lighted twitters option look interesting but not sure of the benefit?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:19 AM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by V70cat
Find the "base system" quite good. It was much better than the system in the loaner E400 but yet they both look the same?
Since this is a AMG was it upgraded as part of the AMG package?

I know that the motion and lighted twitters option look interesting but not sure of the benefit?
I also find the base sound system quite good. Leaps bettter than the w212 system for sure. I wouldn't want a full rip and replace...maybe some additional bass, and swap the highs out. I really don't know, but I feel it could use a little something. Fwiw, I listen to mainly electronic music...house, deep house, chill out, etc.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
My November build includes the high-end Burmester. It was the one thing my wife and I disagreed about. She thinks it's nuts. She's not crazy about losing trunk space either. I'm hoping it will sound good enough that I don't have to eat dirt.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to say but I think you must be imagining things. There is no sound generator in the car or in the audio system. Since there is no artificial sound like BMW, there would be to be a physical microphone in the car for that. I had recently fuses pulled and the car sounded the same...
Old 11-04-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
I also find the base sound system quite good. Leaps bettter than the w212 system for sure. I wouldn't want a full rip and replace...maybe some additional bass, and swap the highs out. I really don't know, but I feel it could use a little something. Fwiw, I listen to mainly electronic music...house, deep house, chill out, etc.
I also listen exclusively to prog house, deep house, chill, ambient etc (not "EDM" bull****, proper underground electronic music) and Im on the fence about adding the 3D High End on my build. My first ever AMG. They bumped the price up to $5,400 so it warrants a think. However, Im pretty sure I'll end up getting it because i'll regret it if I dont Im sure.

f.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Sorry to say but I think you must be imagining things. There is no sound generator in the car or in the audio system. Since there is no artificial sound like BMW, there would be to be a physical microphone in the car for that. I had recently fuses pulled and the car sounded the same...
Switching to Sport and beyond not only stiffens the three-chamber air springs, firms up the adaptive dampers, quickens shifts, and increases steering effort; it also causes the audio system’s speakers to amplify the engine’s noise. It’s cheating, but it’s cheating for our team—and, more important, it doesn’t sound fake. That’s the V-8 playing through the speakers.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Our test car’s tailpipe music was enhanced by the $1250 dual-mode AMG Performance exhaust option. Some additional sound also is piped in through the speakers, but it sounds like a live recording of the actual engine, so we’ll give that trickery a pass.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-test-review

Mercedes does pump a few subtle, engine-enhancing frequencies through the E63’s audio system.
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/162...f-sport-sedans

Mercedes quotes 3.3 seconds to 60 mph, launch control engaged, and while we'll always miss AMG's old naturally aspirated V8s, this 4.0-liter twin-turbo sounds just as rude. Yes, some of the engine noises are piped through the stereo. It's a pipe organ you can live with.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-first-drive/
The following users liked this post:
E63guy (04-18-2019)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:05 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by friskygeek
I also listen exclusively to prog house, deep house, chill, ambient etc (not "EDM" bull****, proper underground electronic music) and Im on the fence about adding the 3D High End on my build. My first ever AMG. They bumped the price up to $5,400 so it warrants a think. However, Im pretty sure I'll end up getting it because i'll regret it if I dont Im sure.

f.
​​​​​​I'm with you man. Admittedly, I'm not an audiophile, however, I do like to listen to loudish music, with strong base, and reasonable clarity, low distortion, etc. The 5400 is steep in my mind, particularly for the sources I use. Better value for me to spend 2000 and get it right how I want it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deactivating sound generator?