MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   Got a shiny streak on my matte Edition 1- how to fix?? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/697414-got-shiny-streak-my-matte-edition-1-how-fix.html)

Vic55 02-03-2018 12:26 PM

Got a shiny streak on my matte Edition 1- how to fix??

It appears my detailer made a mistake and used a towel with some wax or polish that ended up creating a streak on my door. I have matte oem paint and now there is a bit of shine that I can tell is there. Is there a way to fix this?

Any chemicals or solvents on the market?

DriveAMG 02-03-2018 03:42 PM

clearly...

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 7372959)
It appears my detailer made a mistake and used a towel with some wax or polish that ended up creating a streak on my door. I have matte oem paint and now there is a bit of shine that I can tell is there. Is there a way to fix this?

trade the car lol... seriously I don’t know but there should be something that strips it out down to the clear coat.

Jan AMG 02-03-2018 03:45 PM

try a detailing forum instead and let us know

Wolfman 02-03-2018 03:51 PM

I would try to call Dr. Beasley. A good crew with excellent knowledge on matte paint as they have developed special matte paint products.

This product may be a fit for your needs but I would still call them…
https://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-paint-cleanser.html

Good luck!

stealth.pilot 02-03-2018 04:40 PM

Typically the best way to remove any glossy oils from the surface of a car is to wash with a solution of water and dishwashing liquid. That will strip the surface bare of any oils or coatings. Do this first.

Then follow it up with a coating of a protectant. The best protectants are Nanolex Matte Paint Sealant or Dr Beasley's Matte Paint Sealant.

The other thing to watch out for going forward is don't use any car wash liquid on the car. A lot of car wash liquids have built-in waxes to enhance gloss. Best to use a matte wash.

Bunch of suitable supplies for matte car care here.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...matte-car-care

If you wash your car yourself and can't be bothered to dry the car and then apply a sealant, and rinse again. Then a simple solution is Permanon Supermatte. You just spray it on while the car is still wet, rinse and dry. Easiest way to protect the car.

https://www.autogeek.net/permanon-su...rotection.html

CALBenzo 02-03-2018 06:12 PM

Yikes! This is my biggest fear with matte paint which I have never had, and which I have on order. I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds as if they polished this portion partially??? If this is the case, from what I have read, there isn't too much you can do.

stealth.pilot 02-03-2018 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by CALBenzo (Post 7373194)
Yikes! This is my biggest fear with matte paint which I have never had, and which I have on order. I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds as if they polished this portion partially??? If this is the case, from what I have read, there isn't too much you can do.

Don't stress about it too much. I had a BMW in Frozen Gray (same as Magno Selenite Gray). It is hard to polish the finish accidentally. It requires the kind of material which buffs the paint to polish it - like a polishing pad. A regular microfiber or wash mitt won't cause the paint to become shiny.

Sometimes you might temporarily get too much gloss because you are using washes which contain wax and oils. That build-up is easily removed with detergent. If you use a plain car wash or a matte one you won't have any issues.

To me the frozen gray is the lowest maintenance paint you can buy. You can go for a month without the car looking dirty because dust just makes the car look more matte. If you have a CR Spotless system you can just wash your car, hose it off with the CR Spotless rinse, and you're done. You don't need to dry the car, because there won't be water marks, and tiny bits of mineral won't be visible on matte paint. Also you never need to detail or polish your car. Applying sealant is super easy - most products are spray on and wipe off. That's it.

Happy to answer any questions about matte paint finishes. I am a huge fan of these finishes. From my perspective they cost less to maintain, require less washing, and look better.

Vic55 02-04-2018 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jan AMG (Post 7373088)
try a detailing forum instead and let us know

Nah, the good members here are all I need...

Anyways thanks Stealth and Wolf, I appreciate the direction and will update soon enough.

E634Me 02-04-2018 12:34 AM

I did notice that the Edition 1 at the Nashville dealer had a few spots that needed to be detailed. Not shiny spots so much as looked more like an liquid that hadn't dried like maybe a light oil or something.

They said that is the last of 4 unsold ED 1s in the US.

I had stopped in Nashville to have my rear diff fluid changed at the 2000 mile mark on my drive back to SD.

More on my odyssey on a new thread. Not going well so far :(

CALBenzo 02-04-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 7373317)
Don't stress about it too much. I had a BMW in Frozen Gray (same as Magno Selenite Gray). It is hard to polish the finish accidentally. It requires the kind of material which buffs the paint to polish it - like a polishing pad. A regular microfiber or wash mitt won't cause the paint to become shiny.

Sometimes you might temporarily get too much gloss because you are using washes which contain wax and oils. That build-up is easily removed with detergent. If you use a plain car wash or a matte one you won't have any issues.

To me the frozen gray is the lowest maintenance paint you can buy. You can go for a month without the car looking dirty because dust just makes the car look more matte. If you have a CR Spotless system you can just wash your car, hose it off with the CR Spotless rinse, and you're done. You don't need to dry the car, because there won't be water marks, and tiny bits of mineral won't be visible on matte paint. Also you never need to detail or polish your car. Applying sealant is super easy - most products are spray on and wipe off. That's it.

Happy to answer any questions about matte paint finishes. I am a huge fan of these finishes. From my perspective they cost less to maintain, require less washing, and look better.

Thanks!! Puts my mind more at ease! I especially like the low maintenance part. :)

BlackC230Coupe 02-10-2018 03:43 PM

Hey Vic

Hopefully you got it out by now, but if not I would try this Swissvax wax made specially for matte paint. I have tried it, it has got off some odd marks that were on matte paint off. Also protects it, because even though it's matte, it still can use some protection.

http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...Code=SE1015117

stealth.pilot 02-11-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 7373352)
Nah, the good members here are all I need...

Anyways thanks Stealth and Wolf, I appreciate the direction and will update soon enough.

Did you manage to fix it?

Vic55 02-11-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 7378734)

Did you manage to fix it?

Ive been out of the state for over a week, I have a guy coming out to the house who is well known in the biz to try. But I fear it will require a repaint or I could just stealth wrap the door?

stealth.pilot 02-11-2018 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55
Ive been out of the state for over a week, I have a guy coming out to the house who is well known in the biz to try. But I fear it will require a repaint or I could just stealth wrap the door?

With the stealth wrap you would still notice a difference between that door and the other door.

Not sure what the previous guy did, but there are only two ways to make it permanently glossy:
1) To apply a glossy permanent coating like Optigloss (which can only be removed by polishing)
2) To buff it with a polishing pad.

Typically neither of these things would happen accidentally! It would require serious incompetence to do that by mistake!

Anything else (e.g. having carnauba or sealant on a microfiber) should come off with an IPA wipe down followed by Dishwashing liquid wash.

BTW if it won't come off, trying the Swissvax opaque might be a good option before using the stealth wrap. The Swissvax is different to the matte sealants I recommended because it actually costs the car in an opaque wax. So that might do the trick since it is like reapplying matte stuff on top of the glossy stuff.

AMGBEASTMODE 02-12-2018 07:02 AM

I matte clear bra'd my whole Edition 1 car and cermic pro'd. It took out any small blemishes from the factory and I don't sweat getting it washed!https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4d0990975.jpeg

Vic55 02-12-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 7379157)
With the stealth wrap you would still notice a difference between that door and the other door.

Not sure what the previous guy did, but there are only two ways to make it permanently glossy:
1) To apply a glossy permanent coating like Optigloss (which can only be removed by polishing)
2) To buff it with a polishing pad.

Typically neither of these things would happen accidentally! It would require serious incompetence to do that by mistake!

Anything else (e.g. having carnauba or sealant on a microfiber) should come off with an IPA wipe down followed by Dishwashing liquid wash.

BTW if it won't come off, trying the Swissvax opaque might be a good option before using the stealth wrap. The Swissvax is different to the matte sealants I recommended because it actually costs the car in an opaque wax. So that might do the trick since it is like reapplying matte stuff on top of the glossy stuff.

I think you are right, we are going to test the wrap after we try the chemicals first. And I agree, serious incompetence here. I can always have the door sprayed.... Just looking for easier fixes than paint.

E634Me 02-12-2018 11:34 AM

I have to admit, this does have me a bit paranoid about taking my car to any of the local car washes.

My CR Spotless filters arrived a couple of days ago. It came with some soap and finishing products, but they both talk about leaving your car with a nice shine.

I'll save those for my other cars. Ordered some matte products from Adams and some separate towels that I'll keep for use just with the E63 so as to avoid any accidental wax transfer.

Also ordering a new pressure washer as my current one has been acting up. Moving up to a gas powered unit I think, so recommendations welcome.

Will be interested in seeing how your wrap goes Vic. I did pick up a small chip on the hood on the way home, which I don't feel too bad about considering what happened with the windshield. But once I get that fixed, I'm seriously considering a wrap.

Vic55 02-12-2018 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by E634Me (Post 7379368)
I have to admit, this does have me a bit paranoid about taking my car to any of the local car washes.

My CR Spotless filters arrived a couple of days ago. It came with some soap and finishing products, but they both talk about leaving your car with a nice shine.

I'll save those for my other cars. Ordered some matte products from Adams and some separate towels that I'll keep for use just with the E63 so as to avoid any accidental wax transfer.

Also ordering a new pressure washer as my current one has been acting up. Moving up to a gas powered unit I think, so recommendations welcome.

Will be interested in seeing how your wrap goes Vic. I did pick up a small chip on the hood on the way home, which I don't feel too bad about considering what happened with the windshield. But once I get that fixed, I'm seriously considering a wrap.

I trade a chip for a shine all day on my car. While chips cant be fixed you can get the matte touch up paint which isnt all too bad. I only wrapped my front and there is no way that shine should have occurred but my guy made a mistake and while it was a bad one, he has been washing my cars at my house for over 12 years and the law of averages caught up.

In reality I think Matte paint is rather easy to take care of--- wipe downs are easy with the right sprays and no need to worry about clear coat scratches/blemishes like a gloss finish. Its only when you get a scratch or chip or a very bad mistake does the paint suffer and the problem is the ability to fix. So maintenance is very easy but repair is not.

Wolfman 02-12-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 7379386)
I trade a chip for a shine all day on my car. While chips cant be fixed you can get the matte touch up paint which isnt all too bad. I only wrapped my front and there is no way that shine should have occurred but my guy made a mistake and while it was a bad one, he has been washing my cars at my house for over 12 years and the law of averages caught up.

In reality I think Matte paint is rather easy to take care of--- wipe downs are easy with the right sprays and no need to worry about clear coat scratches/blemishes like a gloss finish. Its only when you get a scratch or chip or a very bad mistake does the paint suffer and the problem is the ability to fix. So maintenance is very easy but repair is not.

I hope a re-spray isn't needed. Check out this article: https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2017...cedes-stained/
Really like the matte paint care products from those guys...
Good luck!

Vic55 02-12-2018 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7379423)
I hope a re-spray isn't needed. Check out this article: https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2017...cedes-stained/
Good luck!

Ordered!!!!!!!! I hope it works and that shine in the link is just like mine!!!

Attachment 441443

Vic55 02-12-2018 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 7379157)

I forgot to add- I have Stealth Wrap on my front bumper and sides with no color variation so this would be my final fix if needed. Beasley's first though.

24Hours 02-13-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 7373137)
Typically the best way to remove any glossy oils from the surface of a car is to wash with a solution of water and dishwashing liquid. That will strip the surface bare of any oils or coatings. Do this first.

Then follow it up with a coating of a protectant. The best protectants are Nanolex Matte Paint Sealant or Dr Beasley's Matte Paint Sealant.

The other thing to watch out for going forward is don't use any car wash liquid on the car. A lot of car wash liquids have built-in waxes to enhance gloss. Best to use a matte wash.

Bunch of suitable supplies for matte car care here.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...matte-car-care

If you wash your car yourself and can't be bothered to dry the car and then apply a sealant, and rinse again. Then a simple solution is Permanon Supermatte. You just spray it on while the car is still wet, rinse and dry. Easiest way to protect the car.

https://www.autogeek.net/permanon-su...rotection.html

This is great information... thank you for sharing.

Vic55 02-16-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7379423)
Good luck!

So I have probably done 10 applications over 2 days and the shine has definitely come down but its still there. I am going to keep applying applications over the next few days.

Again thanks for this info.

Wolfman 02-16-2018 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 7382719)
So I have probably done 10 applications over 2 days and the shine has definitely come down but its still there. I am going to keep applying applications over the next few days.

Again thanks for this info.

You might want to call Dr. Beasley; they may have a couple suggestions of how to get ride of the remaining shine. Hope you get everything out. Good luck!

pbaylog 02-19-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 7379444)
Ordered!!!!!!!! I hope it works and that shine in the link is just like mine!!!

https://i.imgur.com/OrpPnfW.jpg

+1 on the Dr Beasley's. I've been using for over two years now and have been very satisfied. Hopefully there is a solution to that shine