W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 100 Octane coming to our mainstream pumps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:25 AM

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
'18 E63 Wagon, '14 E63 Wagon, '00 M5
Is 100 Octane coming to our mainstream pumps?

I was just googling to see if there was an updated listing of gas stations that offer 100 octane fuel and I came across this interesting April 2017 article:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ers/100716174/

The article states that a higher octane, while more expensive, is more energy efficient resulting in a neutral financial outlay for most drivers in an engine optimized for it, with less actual fuel spent.

I'm wondering if anyone here has more information about this effort between the oil companies and automakers. It sounds like it would be great to phase in a higher octane rating spectrum in mainstream pumps, along with auto manufacturers optimizing their cars for it.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Interesting article.

It brings up something I was wondering about during my drive across the country. As I was filling up with lowly 91 octane fuel, I noticed bottles of octane booster inside the station. Didn't take the time to read the labels, but wonder if these work and if their use is safe for engines that use unleaded fuel.

If they do work and are safe, then might splurge on a bottle for a weekend where some spirited driving is on the agenda.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
The kinds of bottled octane boosters they sell at gas stations are garbaggio.

The stuff in metal cans like Torco or Royal Purple has some measurable benefits. I still wouldn't waste my money on them.

There's a station near me that sells 100 octane. I usually add 3 to 4 gallons per tank to help offset the trash that is California 91 octane gas.

My last car was a BMW M6 that pinged like crazy when running straight 91. Mixing in a few of gallons of 100 quieted it down.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Thanks,

I found a comparison online of various boosters and and the results were all over the place, not particularly correlated with price either.

At the end, they did a test of straight VP Racing Fuel and that blew them all.

I used to run VP in my race bike (love the smell of race fuel in the morning . . .)

There's a distributor near me and I guess I could keep a few cans handy in the garage for mixing in with the pump gas when I feel like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by E634Me:
Fame Douglas (02-09-2018), ronin amg (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Higher octane on the horizon - but not any time soon. Will it be 100 octane? My guess it will be something less. The leap from 93 to 100 is too great for the refining industry to accept.

Over the past several years engineers have been successful in extracting increasing horsepower from increasingly smaller displacement engines. Today there are two liter engines producing in excess of three hundred horsepower. Who would have thought years ago, that today one can buy a four cylinder Cadillac.

A problem is beginning to surface. The quest for more power from smaller engines is bumping up against the limitations of existing octane ratings.

As a result, the automobile and refining industries have discussed issues concerning increasing octane ratings. However, refiners are not receptive because their refineries would require extensive modification costing major money.
The following users liked this post:
Fame Douglas (02-10-2018)