Washing and Drying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
E63 2018
Washing and Drying

Hi Guys!

Spring is coming and honestly I like to wash my car just because I know I will do better then any car wash. Obviously it is my car so I will be as gentle and delicate as I can opposite to a car wash which they try to do as fast as possible.

The question is which soap or foam cannon brand you recommend?
Which towel is best to dry the car with?

I have an ED1 so I have Matt paint but we can post recommendations for both paints, Matt or normal.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I have a Generac 3200 PSI pressure washer with adjustable wand various tips plus an Adams foam cannon. Also have a CR Spotless water filter system. The pressure washer is great. I got it to replace an electric Karcher model that was acting up. Much nicer unit - though you need to wear hearing protection, which is a minus.

My car has the Grey Magno paint and the soaps I had on hand as well as the bottle that came with my washer all talked about leaving your car with a nice shine. Not what I wanted for my Magno paint. So I just used some dishwashing liquid diluted in the foam cannon bottle and it worked great. Went on like whipped cream. Not ideal, but it is what I had on hand that I felt was safe. Turned out great, but ordered some Adams washing liquid with no shine and will use that next time.

With the CR Spotless system I didn't have any water spots when I was done drying the car. I also ordered a bunch of various microfiber towels from Adams along with the foam cannon. Nothing special about them I think, and I thought they were a bit spendy for what you get. But they are nice towels and worked well. I also have a bazillion plain old towels and I've set aside a few that I know haven't been used with any wax or shine products and am keeping all the E63 washing stuff separate from what I use on my other cars. Used the plain old towels to do a quick wipe down to remove most of the water and the finished with the microfiber towels.

Was in Geneva for the last couple of weeks (sadly not for the auto show) and had planned on trying out the new soap this weekend, but it's raining outside today so maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Gotic4u
Hi Guys!

Spring is coming and honestly I like to wash my car just because I know I will do better then any car wash. Obviously it is my car so I will be as gentle and delicate as I can opposite to a car wash which they try to do as fast as possible.

The question is which soap or foam cannon brand you recommend?
Which towel is best to dry the car with?

I have an ED1 so I have Matt paint but we can post recommendations for both paints, Matt or normal.
Don't use a foam canon. We have an ED1 as well. We use Dr. Beasley car wash for matte cars. Works great and apply it with their wash pads. Drying with microfibers from Costco
Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 PM

E63 2018
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Don't use a foam canon. We have an ED1 as well. We use Dr. Beasley car wash for matte cars. Works great and apply it with their wash pads. Drying with microfibers from Costco
why not Foam canon? It looks like it is the most efficient.

I also have a water washer and I saw many people using the foam canon. This avoid any direct contact with the paint to avoid any scratch.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Wagon
We use products from chemical guys, micro fiber to dry. Hand wash when possible, detail twice a year, on top of cermanic coating and wrap
Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

why not Foam canon? It looks like it is the most efficient.

I also have a water washer and I saw many people using the foam canon. This avoid any direct contact with the paint to avoid any scratch.
I am washing the car in our garage right now. Lots of sub zero days and now its barely above freezing so there is a bit of a space constraint inside.

Also i heard that Dr. Beasleys matte wash doesn’t produce the typical foam you want with a canon. The car was also literally encrusted in road salt or whatever chemical mixes they use to de-ice at -10 Fahrenheit. Not sure if that would have come off without touching the car.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:41 AM

E63 2018
Originally Posted by Wolfman

I am washing the car in our garage right now. Lots of sub zero days and now its barely above freezing so there is a bit of a space constraint inside.

Also i heard that Dr. Beasleys matte wash doesn’t produce the typical foam you want with a canon. The car was also literally encrusted in road salt or whatever chemical mixes they use to de-ice at -10 Fahrenheit. Not sure if that would have come off without touching the car.
I guess I will have to follow your advice since I am in Canada and I also get salty road from winter. I am going to use foam canon to apply the shampoo and the rob the car to make sure the salt is all out.

I hope I can find chemical guys or Sam here in Canada.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 513 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
^ what city (in Canada) are you located ? There is an Chemical guys retail store in Mississauga. You can order online too ... in Cdn $.

https://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/category_s/240.htm
The following users liked this post:
nynd (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
To be clear, I apply the soap with the foam cannon, but I don't then just rinse and dry the car without touching it. I do use a washing mitt and a bucket with a grit guard and hand wash the soap off the car with the mitt rinsing frequently. Then I do a final rinse with the pressure washer.

I'm using the foam to loosen any accumulated dirt, bugs, and so on from the car before I hit it with the washing mitt.
The following 2 users liked this post by E634Me:
EstateDad (03-11-2018), nynd (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential 2018 E63S Estate, BMW 7 Series, ML350 Blutech
Appreciate your feedback E634Me, pretty much bought the whole line up of Adam's products.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:29 AM

E63 2018
Originally Posted by bobblehead
^ what city (in Canada) are you located ? There is an Chemical guys retail store in Mississauga. You can order online too ... in Cdn $.

https://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/category_s/240.htm
i am in Montreal, driving there is a bit of a long drive.
I found their Canadian website thanks!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 AM

E63 2018
Originally Posted by E634Me
I have a Generac 3200 PSI pressure washer with adjustable wand various tips plus an Adams foam cannon. Also have a CR Spotless water filter system. The pressure washer is great. I got it to replace an electric Karcher model that was acting up. Much nicer unit - though you need to wear hearing protection, which is a minus.

My car has the Grey Magno paint and the soaps I had on hand as well as the bottle that came with my washer all talked about leaving your car with a nice shine. Not what I wanted for my Magno paint. So I just used some dishwashing liquid diluted in the foam cannon bottle and it worked great. Went on like whipped cream. Not ideal, but it is what I had on hand that I felt was safe. Turned out great, but ordered some Adams washing liquid with no shine and will use that next time.

With the CR Spotless system I didn't have any water spots when I was done drying the car. I also ordered a bunch of various microfiber towels from Adams along with the foam cannon. Nothing special about them I think, and I thought they were a bit spendy for what you get. But they are nice towels and worked well. I also have a bazillion plain old towels and I've set aside a few that I know haven't been used with any wax or shine products and am keeping all the E63 washing stuff separate from what I use on my other cars. Used the plain old towels to do a quick wipe down to remove most of the water and the finished with the microfiber towels.

Was in Geneva for the last couple of weeks (sadly not for the auto show) and had planned on trying out the new soap this weekend, but it's raining outside today so maybe tomorrow.
i don’t see Adam’s having a shampoo or soap special for matte paint.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Chemical guys has a Matte wash - http://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/M..._p/cws_995.htm

and order some Spray Detailer (for matte): http://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/M..._p/spi_995.htm
Old 03-12-2018, 09:40 AM

E63 2018
Originally Posted by nynd
Chemical guys has a Matte wash - http://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/M..._p/cws_995.htm

and order some Spray Detailer (for matte): http://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/M..._p/spi_995.htm
yeah i bought those two. Yesterday I spent $200 on their website. I got all the sponges, brushes, towels, buckets etc the whole thing. I didn’t have anything to wash my car lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG

i don’t see Adam’s having a shampoo or soap special for matte paint.
It isn't special for matte paint, but I did call them to check and they said that it doesn't have any waxes or polishes in it and is safe to use for matte finishes.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM

E63 2018
Originally Posted by E634Me
It isn't special for matte paint, but I did call them to check and they said that it doesn't have any waxes or polishes in it and is safe to use for matte finishes.
After I finish with Chemical Guys shampoo I will try Adam’s. A lot of good reviews on their shampoo.