W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does European Delivery Impact Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Audi RS7, 2015 Porsche 4 GTS Cab
Does European Delivery Impact Delivery Date?

Curious if there is any benefit to getting the car sooner if you take ED. Do ED cars receive any priority?

Deposit on a MY19, no allocation yet - curious if you put in ED if it will influence priority.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I ordered my car as soon as I could which was within a week or so of the DOG being released and the ordering banks opening up for my dealer. At the time it still didn't even have prices and there were a couple small changes that showed up in later updates. I chose European delivery for two reasons. One was that I could totally order the car to my spec, and two was to have a vacation for my wife and kids. I travel a lot to Europe and wanted to be able to do something special for them and show them some of the places I visit.

My initial order went in on 5/16/17 to start the process to build the car. After a couple days of review we signed on 5/18/17.

We had hoped initially for a late summer delivery date before the kids went back to school but that wan't possible. The dealer kept trying new dates till the system liked one, and got a delivery date around the 3rd week in October. But that date had an overlap with my meeting in Geneva so we pushed back till Oct 30th. Then, due to notification of a factory closing that was going to mess things up, we again changed the date to be November 6th. That held and we picked up the car that day and had a great two weeks.

Dropped the car off on November 17th and it arrived Baltimore on Dec 23rd. I had opted to have the car delivered to Euromotorcars in Germantown to save the three weeks I estimated it would take for the car to make its way to California. I travel frequently to DC so figured I'd probably have a trip to DC around the time the car showed up, and if not, I have bazillion miles so would fly on my own dime. The car was released to the dealership on Jan 23, 2017.

Some of the one month to get through the VPC may have been due to the Christmas/New Year's holiday and some due to repair to fix a small ding in the fender and a cracked windshield.

Parker of VV picked up his car almost exactly a month behind me and took delivery in California about a month after I did. So did I save any time, not sure.

I certainly didn't save any wear and tear on the car. That's a topic of a different thread here on the forum.

Not sure I would advise ED as a way to try to game the delivery schedule. Mainly, it's a way to have a nice vacation using your own car and saving on the rental car fee in the process. Plus, at least in the case of Herbert, my ED dealer, the car didn't count against any allotment for Escondido Mercedes and we were free to customize at will. Oh, and you save 5% plus the $995 destination and delivery charge.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by abokor
Curious if there is any benefit to getting the car sooner if you take ED. Do ED cars receive any priority?

Deposit on a MY19, no allocation yet - curious if you put in ED if it will influence priority.
Yes, Euro Delivery will delay things, but it is not clear to me what priority or limitations of slot allocation you may get. It seems more haphazard than I would have expected.

I am scheduled to go to Stuttgart the week before Easter, but the car paint was entered incorrectly at the last minute (how is beyond me), so to make things right, the sales person* and MBUSA is letting me drive the built car and then re-order for the MY19. That car has not been allocated to me yet in the schedule, but I'm told I will get in "as early as possible" with a target of Nov. '18 for being in the US. That seems a bit delayed vs US showroom delivery, but none of the sales people I have dealt with have been clear on the matter. You will always get the lip-service that you are priority #1, but the reality is there are a lot of us vying for relatively few spots.

* Herbert Haemmer in Escondido is the best ED salesman in the US with many years of experience and great connections.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Thumbs up to Herbert. Going in to visit him after work today to show him the car. First chance I've had since it's been home from Germany.

Herbert spent a lot of extra time with us discussing what to do on our trip and where to stay, some of the ins and outs of various things. This was after the sale was done, and he wasn't getting any extra for hotel bookings or whatever. Just very generous with his own time to make sure our trip was as special as it could be.

I highly recommend him. He will be retiring in the not too distant future, so give him a call sooner than later. His web site is:
http://www.mbeuropeandelivery.com/
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (03-14-2018)