MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   Mercedes-AMG E 53 4Matic+ Goes Official as Sedan and Wagon (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/705801-mercedes-amg-e-53-4matic-goes-official-sedan-wagon.html)

bobblehead 04-26-2018 08:56 AM

Mercedes-AMG E 53 4Matic+ Goes Official as Sedan and Wagon

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...te-125258.html

the mild-hybrid performance powertrain now powers the sedan and wagon as well. It’s a 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six with a 48-volt EQ Boost system.

The internal-combustion engine produces 435 horsepower (320 kW) and 383 lb-ft (520 Nm) of torque. That’s more power (but a touch less torque) than the existing E43, which offers 396 hp and 384 lb-ft. But the EQ Boost kicks in an extra 22 hp (16 kW) and 184 lb-ft (250 Nm) to bring the combined total output up to 457 hp (340 kW) and 567 lb-ft (769 Nm).

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bdaca58fc1.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b322221c4b.jpg

24Hours 04-26-2018 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bobblehead (Post 7439884)
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...te-125258.html

the mild-hybrid performance powertrain now powers the sedan and wagon as well. It’s a 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six with a 48-volt EQ Boost system.

The internal-combustion engine produces 435 horsepower (320 kW) and 383 lb-ft (520 Nm) of torque. That’s more power (but a touch less torque) than the existing E43, which offers 396 hp and 384 lb-ft. But the EQ Boost kicks in an extra 22 hp (16 kW) and 184 lb-ft (250 Nm) to bring the combined total output up to 457 hp (340 kW) and 567 lb-ft (769 Nm).

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b322221c4b.jpg

Like other folks, I hate to see the performance brand of AMG watered-down. But this is certainly an improvement over the E43, and I think a sign of more things to come when the W213 E63 is phased-out... the next E63 will almost certainly see a hybrid gas/electric build. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I like the distinct exhaust tips... I miss the old dual twin tips from my W211.
Thanks for the post.

bobblehead 04-26-2018 09:47 AM

I actually prefer the have the quad round exhaust tips .. esp. in dark chrome.

MaschioneCazzuto 04-26-2018 09:55 AM

That soft rear end, and includes that hideous iPad glued to the dash. Looks exactly like the W213e63s. Ugly pussified, look outside and inside. Not a monster aggressive look like the w212E63S.

Clk63blkseries 04-26-2018 11:38 AM

Devalues the line . I guess there car more about selling units

PeterUbers 04-26-2018 12:42 PM

They went S class ugly with the steering wheel ...

gaspam 04-26-2018 02:21 PM

i cant wait for the AMG E23 and the AMG F26.25 to come out

plus they have these new AMG's slotted for release in the next 3.45 months:
B14 amg
D32 amg
H08 amg
IPP64 amg
Q69 amg
X99 amg
OPP45 amg
N85 amg
Z24 amg
I8PP amg
:)

MaschioneCazzuto 04-26-2018 02:31 PM

They watered diluted down the brand. I said it before on another thread, they should market themselves with sesame Street seeing as all the letters are getting amg and rename themselves. Mersesame-Strenz.

visualguy 04-26-2018 02:47 PM

Mercedes really churns models ridiculously fast... The W213 E-Class has been around for only a couple of years, and they are already replacing the E300 with an E350, the E400 (which existed only for a few months in the US) with an E450, and the E43 (which existed for only a little over a year in the US) with an E53. Not a good thing for resale value... Definitely looks like leasing is the way to go with these.

Fame Douglas 04-26-2018 02:59 PM

I take it as an insult they build an E53 coupe but no E63.

simarddominic 04-26-2018 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fame Douglas (Post 7440175)
I take it as an insult they build an E53 coupe but no E63.

Same for me.

Formula1Fan 04-26-2018 03:45 PM

Any idea when the sedan in particular will be available in the US? I ordered an E43 early under the assumption that there will not be a E53 sedan for a while.
Thanks!

visualguy 04-26-2018 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Formula1Fan (Post 7440236)
Any idea when the sedan in particular will be available in the US? I ordered an E43 early under the assumption that there will not be a E53 sedan for a while.
Thanks!

I asked a few dealers, and they have no idea, but that doesn't mean much other than that it can't be ordered yet.

Formula1Fan 04-26-2018 03:59 PM

Thanks, hopefully there will be more definitive info before my E43 comes in at the end of June.

visualguy 04-26-2018 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Formula1Fan (Post 7440249)
Thanks, hopefully there will be more definitive info before my E43 comes in at the end of June.

Even if they bring the E53 to the US soon, ask yourself if you would really want to get it early on... New engine, new light hybrid system, new accessories (water pump, A/C compressor). Who knows what issues will pop up, and how good the driving experience will be with this complicated system. They do things like turning off the engine when "coasting" or "sailing", and then turning it on again when needed. Maybe it will all work well and smoothly from the beginning, or maybe not.

Still, it would definitely be disappointing to buy a car which is already "obsolete" and replaced with a new model when you get it. Maybe use it to negotiate a larger discount? I'm in a similar situation, and thinking about getting an M550i instead.

Wolfman 04-26-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by visualguy (Post 7440163)
Mercedes really churns models ridiculously fast... The W213 E-Class has been around for only a couple of years, and they are already replacing the E300 with an E350, the E400 (which existed only for a few months in the US) with an E450, and the E43 (which existed for only a little over a year in the US) with an E53. Not a good thing for resale value... Definitely looks like leasing is the way to go with these.

Well, part of a changing engine platform. Eventually even the E63 is going inline 6. All V6's are being killed off and only the US seems to be getting them for a while yet. Coincidently the 53's will be better engines than the 43's. Am curious of how tunable they will be...
Also, there is a new A35 coming :)

On a side note: Polution restrictions force cleaner engines in Europe, not just Diesel. BMW failed to realize that; now production for their latest V8 5 series (550i) is stopping for several months so that they can retool. That has to hurt...

bobblehead 04-26-2018 04:25 PM

For the US market, maybe sometimes next spring 2019. The European countries will likely get them first (as always), probably late Fall 2018

Wolfman 04-26-2018 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by visualguy (Post 7440267)
Even if they bring the E53 to the US soon, ask yourself if you would really want to get it early on... New engine, new light hybrid system, new accessories (water pump, A/C compressor). Who knows what issues will pop up, and how good the driving experience will be with this complicated system. They do things like turning off the engine when "coasting" or "sailing", and then turning it on again when needed. Maybe it will all work well and smoothly from the beginning, or maybe not.

Still, it would definitely be disappointing to buy a car which is already "obsolete" and replaced with a new model when you get it. Maybe use it to negotiate a larger discount? I'm in a similar situation, and thinking about getting an M550i instead.

Not sure what you mean by new. The engine is the same thing as all inline sixes produced by MB and they are churning these out in high volumes. The US just hasn't seen them yet as MB build cars with a V6 or the US and inline 6 for all other countries. The engine is recognized as the most advanced ICE engine and has been highly rated so far. The M550 on the other hand features a dinosaur of an engine. ;)

visualguy 04-26-2018 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7440279)
Not sure what you mean by new. The engine is the same thing as all inline sixes produced by MB and they care churning these out in high volumes. The US just hasn't seen them yet as MB build cars with a V6 or the US and inline 6 for all other countries. The engine is recognized as the most advanced ICE engine and has been highly rated so far. The M550 on the other hand features a dinosaur of an engine. ;)

How long have they been shipping the inline 6 outside the US? A year? That qualifies as a new engine... They typically ship the new stuff outside the US first because it's a much bigger headache when things go wrong in the US due to litigation, lemon laws, etc. I'm equally or even more concerned about the complicated new mild hybrid system. Why be a guinea pig for all that...

The engine on the M550i is great from a performance perspective, and it has a modern design actually even if it has been around for years. The problem with it, however, is that it has had some reliability issues over the years, some of which never seem to go away even with further revisions of the engine. Not really an issue for anyone who is leasing, but could be a problem for buyers who want to keep for a long time.

Wolfman 04-26-2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by visualguy (Post 7440289)
How long have they been shipping the inline 6 outside the US? A year? That qualifies as a new engine... They typically ship the new stuff outside the US first because it's a much bigger headache when things go wrong in the US due to litigation, lemon laws, etc. I'm equally or even more concerned about the complicated new mild hybrid system. Why be a guinea pig for all that...

The engine on the M550i is great from a performance perspective, and it has a modern design actually even if it has been around for years. The problem with it, however, is that it has had some reliability issues over the years, some of which never seem to go away even with further revisions of the engine. Not really an issue for anyone who is leasing, but could be a problem for buyers who want to keep for a long time.

Fair point. But in terms of units MB already has build more inline 6 engines than the M177 (and M176/M178 variants) featured in our E63's. In some ways, the new engines are simpler as well. Engines have been MB's strength...

Formula1Fan 04-26-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by visualguy (Post 7440267)

I am leasing so am not as concerned about the new tech but it is definitely something to think about. I have driven the E43 and thought it was great, a huge step up from my C43.

I really wanted to add the M550i to the mix as the engine is a beast but the handling was way to numb and soft as compared to the E43.

A short term lease seems like the way to go!

visualguy 04-26-2018 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Formula1Fan (Post 7440395)
I am leasing so am not as concerned about the new tech but it is definitely something to think about. I have driven the E43 and thought it was great, a huge step up from my C43.

I really wanted to add the M550i to the mix as the engine is a beast but the handling was way to numb and soft as compared to the E43.

A short term lease seems like the way to go!

I drove both the E43 and the M550i, and I agree with your observations. The E43 has a more sporty feel, but that engine on the M550i is a lot of fun, so I could see going either way actually.

I'm trying to avoid leasing this time because I don't like being on some fixed schedule in terms of replacing my car. Maybe I'll want to replace it sooner, or maybe later. Lease ends never seem to align with the availability of the cars I want to get next, which is frustrating... For example, I may want to wait for the 2019 E53 to be out with some reviews and the initial kinks sorted out, but I'm forced to get something soon because my current lease is ending.

Wolfman 04-26-2018 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by visualguy (Post 7440420)
I drove both the E43 and the M550i, and I agree with your observations. The E43 has a more sporty feel, but that engine on the M550i is a lot of fun, so I could see going either way actually.

I'm trying to avoid leasing this time because I don't like being on some fixed schedule in terms of replacing my car. Maybe I'll want to replace it sooner, or maybe later. Lease ends never seem to align with the availability of the cars I want to get next, which is frustrating... For example, I may want to wait for the 2019 E53 to be out with some reviews and the initial kinks sorted out, but I'm forced to get something soon because my current lease is ending.

If buying, be prepared for significant depreciation on either car but in this case the 550i will fare worst. Sometimes leases don't line up with new model intros but the costs will be predictable. You typically can get out early (same brand via pull ahead) or paying a few months more to extend the lease will be cheaper than the hit on trade-in.
IMO, MB has the strongest track record on reliable engines of any European manufacturer (well the M156 had issues but that also wasn't a MB engine - AMG's first in-house development) and the M256 employed in the E53 is already in use to in the European S500.
But caution is good on any new model. Some experience issues on the E63s and the new M5 seems to have some pervasive drivetrain malfunctions (literally first day/week failures - software?).

visualguy 04-26-2018 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7440465)
If buying, be prepared for significant depreciation on either car but in this case the 550i will fare worst. Sometimes leases don't line up with new model intros but the costs will be predictable. You typically can get out early (same brand via pull ahead) or paying a few months more to extend the lease will be cheaper than the hit on trade-in.
IMO, MB has the strongest track record on reliable engines of any European manufacturer (well the M156 had issues but that also wasn't a MB engine - AMG's first in-house development) and the M256 employed in the E53 is already in use to in the European S500.
But caution is good on any new model. Some experience issues on the E63s and the new M5 seems to have some pervasive drivetrain malfunctions (literally first day/week failures - software?).

Depreciation will be bad on both: M550i and E43 (especially since the E43 has already been discontinued and replaced).

Pull-ahead isn't always available - BMW hasn't been offering it so far this year, for example. Lease extensions and pull-ahead are limited in what they offer even when staying within the same brand, and mostly irrelevant when switching brands.

I agree that leasing is in general more cost-effective for people who replace cars frequently, but the lack of flexibility in the timing has been a headache for me...

With the new M5, it seems that some of it is software, and some of it may be issues with the gas tank lining breaking down in a chemical reaction with the fuel - seems very strange???

I don't like getting the first model year of any of these cars, even when leasing. The risk of serious headaches is too high.

Koru_Kinshi 04-26-2018 11:21 PM

Wait, this isn't replacing the E63 is it???