Sponsored by:

My First Mercedes - E63 S Wagon Ordered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
E63 S Wagon
My First Mercedes - E63 S Wagon Ordered

I recently placed an order for a 2019 E63 S Wagon. I'm really excited, if not slightly terrified, since this is my first (technically second, see below) Mercedes. I've owned many cars, including several BMW M vehicles (most recent was the F85 X5 M), but primarily VW/Audi. I spent a number of years at VW and Audi in Germany and Silicon Valley leading advanced infotainment and driver assistance systems development. I love fast wagons, but the options here are limited. My corporate car back in Germany was the RS 6 Avant. I miss it but expect the E63 S to make me smile as much as the Avant did.

The switch to Mercedes comes at a time when I had several poor experiences with Audi, both in terms of vehicles and customer service, and can't find much I really want in the lineup. The emissions scandal hasn't helped much, either. Audi is lacking many competitive features available on other cars. While I retrofit most of them, you sort of grow tired of having to tear apart brand new cars to build them like they can be ordered in Europe. Plus, I have limited garage space and need to find a vehicle that ticks many boxes, including performance, comfort, and cargo space. I had considered the Audi RS 7, but all of the tech is a generation behind what I worked on, and I couldn't see myself really enjoying it for that reason.

The move to Mercedes puts me in an entirely uncharted world. I pretty much know nothing in terms of the powertrains, infotainment, parts, and the kinds of Euro retrofits I'm known for. But, a good friend who is a brand tech has agreed to help me out with my plans. Crazy enough, some parts have already arrived months before the car. It's going to be a long wait.

My build is focused on comfort:

992 Selenite Grey
RTS 20" Matte Black wheels
554 Nut Brown Interior
61U Black DINAMICA headliner
H64 Metal Weave Trim
319 Exterior Lighting Pkg
445 Warmth & Comfort Pkg (contains 443, 902)
997 Driver Assistance Pkg
313 Sun Protection Pkg
521 AMG Night Pkg
L6J AMG Nappa Leather Performance Steering Wheel
P21 AIR BALANCE System
U78 AMG Performance Exhaust
U80 115V AC Outlet
432 Active Multicontour Front Seats
463 Head Up Display w AMG Content
581 3-zone Climate Control
872 Heated Rear Seats
883 Soft Close Doors
293 Rear Side Airbags

Production is scheduled for one of the first build spots in July, with delivery whenever Mercedes decides to release them.

I look forward to sharing more then. In the interim, I took over a lease on a 2016 C63 S, and am anxiously awaiting the truck to show up any day now with the car on it.

Feel free to follow me on Instagram, which highlights some of my builds: https://www.instagram.com/jaronbrass/
The following users liked this post:
V8Avant (05-17-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
G
I have a 2018 Wagon and love it so far.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Hello Jaron,

Welcome to the board. I remember you well from the BMW boards. I can't wait to see if you are able to figure out to how to code the Mercedes. I was actually hoping you would have been in a 2018 so you could figure out the 2019 steering wheel retrofit too.

You will love most aspects of the E63S. Although reading your intro, I suspect you may be disappointed with the COMAND system. It is good, but it is a bit laggy compared with what you would want. The new MBUX system looks amazing though especially with the AR navigation that's coming.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
S4
Hey great build.

I too am in the same boat, Audi, BMW (all M, currently in the 16 X5 M) and have been debating the switch to the Wagon...for October Delivery.

My dad has always been an E-Class enthusiast, this is the first MB that I could see myself driving.

Was going to try to build one this weekend, will post details, congrats !

Last edited by northern2020; 05-13-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:04 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Oh......hell..........yes! Congrats.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:26 PM

E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Hello Jaron,

Welcome to the board. I remember you well from the BMW boards. I can't wait to see if you are able to figure out to how to code the Mercedes. I was actually hoping you would have been in a 2018 so you could figure out the 2019 steering wheel retrofit too.

You will love most aspects of the E63S. Although reading your intro, I suspect you may be disappointed with the COMAND system. It is good, but it is a bit laggy compared with what you would want. The new MBUX system looks amazing though especially with the AR navigation that's coming.
What a small world! It’s nice to see you again! I’m glad you are enjoying your E63 S.

So, based on several test drives and a few hours of showroom seat time, I can say COMAND is a disappointment. But that’s ok. I’m severely biased and used to other systems. That said, it does what I need it to do and I’m sure I’ll find a happy selection of settings/displays.

If you remember my BMWs, much of the same is planned. The list is very short - something I’m not used to, but certainly happy to start experimenting when it shows up.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
If someone could figure out how to "code" a few items, such as enabling the full functionality of the intelligent LED headlights so they can dim independently, that would be great
Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 PM

E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by E634Me
If someone could figure out how to "code" a few items, such as enabling the full functionality of the intelligent LED headlights so they can dim independently, that would be great
This is first on my list. I’ve successfully done it on BMW, VW, and most recently on my two capable Audi’s and unlocked their matrix functionality. Thankfully with the Mercedes the hardware is already present and doesn’t require new housings.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by wdimagineer

This is first on my list. I’ve successfully done it on BMW, VW, and most recently on my two capable Audi’s and unlocked their matrix functionality. Thankfully with the Mercedes the hardware is already present and doesn’t require new housings.
This would be awesome! Another neat thing would be if the auto-highbeam is always on without having to push the turn signal lever back where it is further from the steering wheel.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63S Wagon
grats, you are going to love it!!