Sponsored by:

Wagon - trunk latch malfunctions triggering the alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
Wagon - trunk latch malfunctions triggering the alarm

I’ve been to the dealership twice already to repair my trunk latch sensor which thinks the trunk is open and eventually trips the alarm when the car is locked. Also, while driving, I get the annoying message that the trunk is open although it’s not. First time they replaced the latch sensor with no avail. The second time they updated some software and did a lot of testing but basically fixed nothing. The problem went away for now but again nothing was fixed so it could be returning back later on. The timing of the problem coincided with me purchasing a Mercedes trunk matt which I thought may have interfered with the latch closing mechanism. That was dispelled when the problem happened again after I removed the trunk matt. They checked a whole bunch of electric wires for a short but found nothing. Basically, they told me to keep my fingers crossed and hope that this doesn’t happen again. If it happens again, I’ll check into the lemon law specific to California, where I live. Has any of you run into anything similar?
Old 05-19-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by tirzaman
I’ve been to the dealership twice already to repair my trunk latch sensor which thinks the trunk is open and eventually trips the alarm when the car is locked. Also, while driving, I get the annoying message that the trunk is open although it’s not. First time they replaced the latch sensor with no avail. The second time they updated some software and did a lot of testing but basically fixed nothing. The problem went away for now but again nothing was fixed so it could be returning back later on. The timing of the problem coincided with me purchasing a Mercedes trunk matt which I thought may have interfered with the latch closing mechanism. That was dispelled when the problem happened again after I removed the trunk matt. They checked a whole bunch of electric wires for a short but found nothing. Basically, they told me to keep my fingers crossed and hope that this doesn’t happen again. If it happens again, I’ll check into the lemon law specific to California, where I live. Has any of you run into anything similar?
w213 bulletin
Old 05-20-2018, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by dav461

w213 bulletin
Can you please be a bit more specific? Is a bulletin out there already for this issue?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 AM

So, it happened again: the tunk open message in the left console followed at short time by the alarm going off after the car was locked. I’ll take the car back to service for the third time. Something is screwed up in the electric system and that’s scary because a fire can start at anytime if the electrical system is defective. Please reply if you had any similar issues that you fixed or still pending resolution. Also, any help regarding the California lemon law would be really helpful.