MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   Question about designo Selenite Grey Magno (matte) (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/710097-question-about-designo-selenite-grey-magno-matte.html)

Mandarin 06-07-2018 05:53 PM

Question about designo Selenite Grey Magno (matte)

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to order a new e63s, I know what I want but still can't decide what color I want. I was looking for designo Selenite Grey Magno (matte) but then I was curious is it really difficult to care of that color? I mean if something is gonna happen how to fix that color (dents, dings, scratches)? Can you guys share your experience? Probably better to stay with basic Selenite Grey Metallic?

I want to say sorry, but I'm not a current owner of amg E63 but I did a research about question I have before to put my order and that forum was really helpful for me and thank you all of you guys for sharing experience which is helping people as me to make a decision :) As soon as I'll sell my current GT-R I'll buy an e63 )))

bigarmsinc1 06-07-2018 06:17 PM

I have the same color ordered, i am curious about what others have to say as well...

Mandarin 06-07-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigarmsinc1 (Post 7473382)
I have the same color ordered, i am curious about what others have to say as well...

What's delivery time for now?

E634Me 06-07-2018 06:25 PM

There have been a number of posts about this. The search tool will help you narrow down the list quickly.

Try magno and matte as keywords along with grey, selenite, and designo.

My car is in Selenite Grey Magno. Very happy with it. The options can be found here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ml#post7203304

When I took delivery of the car in Germany, the tech told me I'd selected the best paint. Said it was very durable and easy to care for. Just wash, dry, and you're done. No waxing or other stuff to mess with.

So far the paint has be really easy to take care of. I purchased a CR Spotless water filtration system to use at my garage and have a pressure washer and a foam cannon.

Neither of those last two are really required. I could do just as good of a job with a couple of buckets. But the foam canon is fun to play with. I just spritz down the car with the pressure washer on a low setting to rinse off any loose dust and bug/bird residue, then hit it with the foam canon and leave that sit for just a bit. Then I use a wash mitt and bucket of clean water to wash the car. Then hit the car again with the pressure washer to rinse everything off and dry it with a couple of microfiber towels.

Whole process takes me 30 to 45 min. Any water I miss that drops from a mirror or out of some other crevice drys spot free thanks to have the CR Spotless system.

The main thing is just to be careful not to use soaps or other products that have shine additives in them. I keep my E63 towels and washing gear separate from the stuff I use on my other vehicles just to make sure I don't transfer any wax or shiny stuff to the E63.

TRUVUDU 06-07-2018 07:55 PM

I also have the magno grey on order. I am strongly considering the xpel stealth. The only concern is will the ppf cause any harm to the matte finish of the paint. When i peel it off, will the paint be as good as it was when the ppf was originally applied?

tirzaman 06-08-2018 09:29 AM

I see a lot of discussion about Xpel. What about the 3M Scotchguard film? Is that pretty good as well?

bigarmsinc1 06-08-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mandarin (Post 7473385)
What's delivery time for now?

I believe i was told delivery is early August...

Corrado79 06-08-2018 01:24 PM

I have a Magno order coming soon. But I do not feel like getting it wrapped, as it is a lease. Anything less than a wrap I can do to protect the finish?

mrguitar 02-11-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Corrado79 (Post 7474031)
I have a Magno order coming soon. But I do not feel like getting it wrapped, as it is a lease. Anything less than a wrap I can do to protect the finish?

Corrado79, was just searching on this exact same topic and came across this post...did you ever PPF your Magno vehicle? How has everything held up after 6 months of ownership? Appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Slugsy 02-11-2019 06:09 PM

I have it, I did get it wrapped but honestly, I don’t think I needed to bother. It wasn’t an ounce of problem before the wrap and it hasn’t been since.

I guess the only thing the wrap does is protect the paint from a nasty chip and costly re-spray.

E634Me 02-11-2019 06:58 PM

Mine's a 14 months old now and is not protected. So far has been great and very easy to maintain.

I did pick up a few small chips on the front end on the drive from Maryland to California after stateside delivery. Mostly occurred in Arkansas I think. Roads and trucks through one stretch in particular were brutal. Also can't forget to mention the big F'ing rock through the windshield which seemed to come out of nowhere. All happened in Arkansas, which is why I've placed it on my most hated state list.

Of course that kind of damage isn't magno specific as I haven't had the little chips retouched and wouldn't have done so on a non-magno car either.

Having had the front only wrapped before the trip would have been a good idea, but horse is out of the barn now so haven't bothered.

Using just simple car washing soap with no shine additive to wash the car. Using pressure washer to rinse the car first, then soap cannon to apply a thick layer of whipped cream, then using a wash mitt to go over the car rinsing frequently with a bucket with a grit guard in the bottom. Finally rinse with water from a CR Spotless system and then quick towel dry.

Have CCBs so I pretty much ignore the wheels. No brake dust accumulation to deal with. So nice . . .

mrguitar 02-11-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Slugsy (Post 7679053)
I have it, I did get it wrapped but honestly, I don’t think I needed to bother. It wasn’t an ounce of problem before the wrap and it hasn’t been since.

I guess the only thing the wrap does is protect the paint from a nasty chip and costly re-spray.

Yeah I'm only considering PPF due to the rock chips...have you had any that you can see the PPF helped protect from?

mrguitar 02-11-2019 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by E634Me (Post 7679096)
Mine's a 14 months old now and is not protected. So far has been great and very easy to maintain.

I did pick up a few small chips on the front end on the drive from Maryland to California after stateside delivery. Mostly occurred in Arkansas I think. Roads and trucks through one stretch in particular were brutal. Also can't forget to mention the big F'ing rock through the windshield which seemed to come out of nowhere. All happened in Arkansas, which is why I've placed it on my most hated state list.

Of course that kind of damage isn't magno specific as I haven't had the little chips retouched and wouldn't have done so on a non-magno car either.

Having had the front only wrapped before the trip would have been a good idea, but horse is out of the barn now so haven't bothered.

Using just simple car washing soap with no shine additive to wash the car. Using pressure washer to rinse the car first, then soap cannon to apply a thick layer of whipped cream, then using a wash mitt to go over the car rinsing frequently with a bucket with a grit guard in the bottom. Finally rinse with water from a CR Spotless system and then quick towel dry.

Have CCBs so I pretty much ignore the wheels. No brake dust accumulation to deal with. So nice . . .

This sounds like how I would approach it...the only question for me is how the chips look. Are they noticeable? Do you have any close up and wide-angled pics of them? If they're not that noticeable then I would just as well not PPF the front. I just don't want to have any differences in appearance between the PPF area and magno paint.

Nice that you made the drive yourself too! I am buying my vehicle from NY and I was able to get a CA dealer to pick it up, thus avoiding the cross country drive...not that I couldn't do it, I just didn't want to rack up the miles...

"CCB" is that a ceramic coat of some kind? I definitely want to do that to the wheels too, and also the entire vehicle...

dav461 02-11-2019 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mrguitar (Post 7679105)
I would just as well not PPF the front.
Nice that you made the drive yourself too! I am buying my vehicle from NY and I was able to get a CA dealer to pick it up, thus avoiding the cross country drive...not that I couldn't do it, I just didn't want to rack up the miles...

"CCB" is that a ceramic coat of some kind?

front part is most vulnerable part of car, its must wrap.
CCB - carbon ceramic brakes

E634Me 02-11-2019 09:04 PM

A few of the chips are visible up close if you're looking for them. I'll try to snap a pic or two when I get time.

I didn't mention that I did get one chip about the width of a 0.7 mm pencil lead on the front hood that was about 1.4 mm to 2 mm long and which was down to bare metal.

Had a heck of a time getting the parts department to give me some Selenite Grey touch up paint. The parts department guys wanted a VIN from a car that has Selenite Grey to get the right paint code - couldn't use my VIN because that shows Selenite Grey Magno for which there is no touch up paint. They really didn't want to order the Selenite Grey paint because they said I couldn't use that to touch up Selenite Grey Magno, because the Magno is in the clear coat and I would have to respray like the entire car or whatever.

After much arm twisting and signing a multipage disclaimer (not really, but felt like it), plus an a Selenite Grey VIN from the sales manager we were able to get the guys to order the paint.

Applied the paint to the spot carefully and the chip was gone. I have to look really hard now to find it. No respray of the hood was required. Took the car into the dealership and had the parts guys try to find it. They couldn't till I pointed it. They finally agreed that respraying the whole panel or car was not required in this case (which is what I told them in the first place).

I'm sure that there are going to be cases where you'd want to respray, but this was in the middle of the left quarter of my bonnet cover on the driver's side and a prime candidate for sticking out like a sore thumb, but plain old touch up paint did the job.

Talking with one of the shops up near Laguna Nigel, they said they routinely do paint correction for folks before applying protective film and will airbrush small areas on cars with Magno or similar finishes and if done correctly you can't tell.

That said, I don't doubt that a respray may be required for some ding repairs, especially some bigger door dings. Luckily, I've been careful with my parking and have been spared any door dings to date.

benzbell 02-11-2019 09:18 PM

Hmm... strange. I gave parts the vin to my GTR (green hell magno) and got touch up paint for it in a couple days. To me touch up paint is touch up paint - gloss or magno.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...18d09ac7ce.jpg

E634Me 02-11-2019 09:29 PM

Intersting,

Well, let's just say that I left less than impressed with the parts counter guys at that dealership.

mrguitar 02-12-2019 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by E634Me (Post 7679200)
A few of the chips are visible up close if you're looking for them. I'll try to snap a pic or two when I get time.

I didn't mention that I did get one chip about the width of a 0.7 mm pencil lead on the front hood that was about 1.4 mm to 2 mm long and which was down to bare metal.

Had a heck of a time getting the parts department to give me some Selenite Grey touch up paint. The parts department guys wanted a VIN from a car that has Selenite Grey to get the right paint code - couldn't use my VIN because that shows Selenite Grey Magno for which there is no touch up paint. They really didn't want to order the Selenite Grey paint because they said I couldn't use that to touch up Selenite Grey Magno, because the Magno is in the clear coat and I would have to respray like the entire car or whatever.

After much arm twisting and signing a multipage disclaimer (not really, but felt like it), plus an a Selenite Grey VIN from the sales manager we were able to get the guys to order the paint.

Applied the paint to the spot carefully and the chip was gone. I have to look really hard now to find it. No respray of the hood was required. Took the car into the dealership and had the parts guys try to find it. They couldn't till I pointed it. They finally agreed that respraying the whole panel or car was not required in this case (which is what I told them in the first place).

I'm sure that there are going to be cases where you'd want to respray, but this was in the middle of the left quarter of my bonnet cover on the driver's side and a prime candidate for sticking out like a sore thumb, but plain old touch up paint did the job.

Talking with one of the shops up near Laguna Nigel, they said they routinely do paint correction for folks before applying protective film and will airbrush small areas on cars with Magno or similar finishes and if done correctly you can't tell.

That said, I don't doubt that a respray may be required for some ding repairs, especially some bigger door dings. Luckily, I've been careful with my parking and have been spared any door dings to date.

Great info, thanks. Definitely sounds like how I would approach the same situations...only problem is my car will be cashmere magno...can’t recall if the diamond white would be my touch up paint or not...? If so, it sounds like I need a bottle of it in hand.

do you recall the name of that paint shop in LN? Would love to learn more about them as they sound pretty knowledgeable...

E634Me 02-12-2019 11:56 AM

Had to look it up to make sure I got it right. Protective Film Solutions in Santa Anna. Not sure how I got that they were near Laguna Nigel.

Corrado79 02-12-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrguitar (Post 7679001)
Corrado79, was just searching on this exact same topic and came across this post...did you ever PPF your Magno vehicle? How has everything held up after 6 months of ownership? Appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Well, although my car has been in the US for 6 months, thanks to MBUSA, I have only had it for 2-3.

I did not PPF it because it’s on a lease. Would I do it if I bought it? Maybe. But it’s so far holding up very nicely and is super easy to maintain. I almost feel paint protection is more necessary for glossy paints than the magno paints.

mrguitar 02-12-2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Corrado79 (Post 7679650)

Well, although my car has been in the US for 6 months, thanks to MBUSA, I have only had it for 2-3.

I did not PPF it because it’s on a lease. Would I do it if I bought it? Maybe. But it’s so far holding up very nicely and is super easy to maintain. I almost feel paint protection is more necessary for glossy paints than the magno paints.

Yeah MBUSA seems to operate strangely...like in a bubble...

So not even a bra, huh? How has the front bumper held up? Any rock chips at all?

Corrado79 02-12-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrguitar (Post 7679658)
Yeah MBUSA seems to operate strangely...like in a bubble...

So not even a bra, huh? How has the front bumper held up? Any rock chips at all?

No chips yet. But it hasn’t been tracked and I drive mostly in city roads/highways.

GreenFox 02-12-2019 02:08 PM

Just got a quote from a local shop for XPEL Stealth full body wrap for my soon to arrive E63S with the Selenite Gray Magno. Got quoted $6000 for full car and that it would take 2 weeks. This is the first quote I've received so far.

mrguitar 02-12-2019 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Corrado79 (Post 7679664)

No chips yet. But it hasn’t been tracked and I drive mostly in city roads/highways.

I don't intend to track my car at all (will buy an AMG day for that). no rock chips gives me confidence in not getting a bra. mostly don't want a bra because i don't want it to look different from the rest of the car...

M1554 02-12-2019 08:23 PM

It's incredibly easy to maintain. Don't panik, you made the right choice.
It also hides the dirt vey well and there are no swirls or surface scratches to worry about.
Just make sure you use matte specific soaps/products.
Enjoy your car when it arrives.