Sponsored by:

Venting...CEL, Dealer Unhelpful & AMG Unresponsive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 C63s
Venting...CEL, Dealer Unhelpful & AMG Unresponsive

Allow me to vent. As I noted in another thread, I have a 2018 E63s with a little over 4k miles. My CEL came on a couple of weeks ago but the car did not go into limp mode. Today day 15, yes, 15 days since the dealer's had my car. The issue is unresolved. In fact, they don't know what the "issue" is and have been unable to elicit a response or guidance from AMG in Germany. I spoke with my SA today and unfortunately still no update. In an effort to put me at ease, my SA told me that they've had an AMG GT C for 2 days longer than they've had my E63s and that they know what's wrong with the GT C but are unable to get the part from Germany because apparently it needs to be manufactured. I'm not at ease.

I asked for guidance and was given none. My understanding is the issue was escalated to AMG in Germany last week but there's been no communication or response from Germany. I suppose Zee Germans are still mourning after Germany failed to make it out of the group stage of the world cup. Couple this wither Mercedes' double DNF in Austria this past week and I'm screwed. I'm lobbying Toto Wolf and Lewis Hamilton but I digress.

I told my SA that next steps for me are to escalate my cares to Mercedes North America. Since he has no ammo, he thought this could be a good strategy. If my dealership can't pressure AMG, I'm not sure I can.

Has anyone had success with Mercedes North America in similar situations? How a manufacturer can be this slow to resolve a situation is beyond me.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E63 AMG S, 2016 Porsche 911 GTS Coupe
That really sucks. What's the build date on your car? I'd have expected something from MBUSA by now. Have you tried the AMG private lounge community board? Mercedes personnel regularly read threads on there and respond. You'll need a VIN to join but its worth a shot. Its more likely to get a response that tweeting Hamilton an any rate!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 E63S AMG (on order)
I'd start reading up on Lemon Law.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:54 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
get on the PL and contact AMG directly , they will provide you with the contact email. I would also start reading up on the lemon law in your state.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Why leave the car at the dealer? If they are working on it every day then fine, but I bet they are just storing it.They have all the data, get it back and drive it. When our new E63S had the CEL come on we drove it for a week while the dealer was waiting for parts from Germany, but in my case the cause of the CEL was known. (An invisible crack in an intake manifold seam allowing unmetered air into the engine.)
Another reason for driving the car is it might clear the CEL on its own. It is a long shot but it happens on and off with my S65. The CEL will come on from driving in C mode, even at high expressway speeds. It is plug fouling. After cleaning the plugs the first time the mechanic told me to drive it in S or M for 2 or 3 days and do some full throttle high RPM pulls. On the S65 its worked 4 times for me. It usually take about 3 days of driving to clear the light. I realize these are 2 different cars but it might be worth a try.
The following users liked this post:
Schulminator (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 E63S
The E63S might have CEL lighting up for more than one reason.
When it has a misfire on one of the cylinders it will in most cases be there for the next 50 restarts and then dissappear..

I had an error yesterday, it suddenly felt like the engine was almost stalling because not all cylinders were running.. It was unable til accellerate and barely able to keep the speed to a suitable place for an emergency stop.
I did of course call the MB-road help service, they could not se an error on the car.. After a while I was asked to just start it up again, the error was gone.
I drove straight to the nearest MB workshop and they could not find any evidence of any error with engine, transmission, ESP or chassis.. Nothing could explain the error, they updated software in a lot of systems so now we just have to hope this won't happen again..
Old 07-03-2018, 10:14 PM

2019 C63s
Thanks all for the input! I posted on the AMG Private Lounge as suggested by those here. Today I took my case to Mercedes North America and have already been in touch with a Executive Referral Manager.

I plan to leave the car at the dealership until this is resolved or guidance provided. With my luck, if I take the car back before there's resolution, something else will go awry and the dealer and/or Mercedes will try to stick me with a $$$$ bill because I knowingly drove the car while "something" was wrong.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by W213e63s
Thanks all for the input! I posted on the AMG Private Lounge as suggested by those here. Today I took my case to Mercedes North America and have already been in touch with a Executive Referral Manager.

I plan to leave the car at the dealership until this is resolved or guidance provided. With my luck, if I take the car back before there's resolution, something else will go awry and the dealer and/or Mercedes will try to stick me with a $$$$ bill because I knowingly drove the car while "something" was wrong.
I wonder if this has to do with the engine management turning off cylinders from 8 to 4 and then the plugs are getting fouled when they are cooling. Several reports mention cylinder 2 as one of those involved which is also one of the set of cylinders turned off in 4 cylinder mode. I've got a bit over 5k on my car and not a hiccup from the engine. My average commute is about 15 miles and the engine does switch modes on a regular basis.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by HBerman
I wonder if this has to do with the engine management turning off cylinders from 8 to 4 and then the plugs are getting fouled when they are cooling. Several reports mention cylinder 2 as one of those involved which is also one of the set of cylinders turned off in 4 cylinder mode. I've got a bit over 5k on my car and not a hiccup from the engine. My average commute is about 15 miles and the engine does switch modes on a regular basis.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E63S
I have the same misfire problem my E63s has about 7500km on it. It's the 3rd time the CEL came on, the first time they said needed a software update, the 2nd it was new spark plugs and now the 3rd time they said they do not know the what the problem is and they are in contact with Mercedes Benz Germany. It has been a week now and still no update.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550
one would think with such an expensive and brand new car these issues would be nonexistent or at the very least handled immediately... it honestly baffles me to read that they can not find the issues in their $120k cars they built.. i hope everything works itself out and that you get some sort of something for the obvious inconvenience and time spent..
Old 07-06-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 e63s estate
I am in the same boat, I brought it in for a day, they cleared the CEL told me to take it and drive it for my up coming road trip. That weekend, CEL on an off, 3 times on the highway it kicked into limp mode, and the following monday at work it wouldn't shift, and then wouldn't restart. At this point they have had the car for 15 days and they still haven't established a root cause.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63 AMGs
I just had my CEL come on for the first time last night. This is after the car has been in for the loose swaybar and phantom over-revving (see thread further down with videos). Car is at dealer now getting the code read.
OP, what was the original issue that sent the car in for service?
Old 07-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by ExaltedPickle
I just had my CEL come on for the first time last night. This is after the car has been in for the loose swaybar and phantom over-revving (see thread further down with videos). Car is at dealer now getting the code read.
OP, what was the original issue that sent the car in for service?
I have an early 2018 e63s sedan. Got a cel at ~3000 mi. Was a misfire in cyl 5 due to inappropriate gas mixture. It was around the time of summer blend change so go figure? Cel reset and i drive off. Cel fires again at 3150mi. This time cyl 2 misfired and im told coil is bad. Replaced. Took a few fays as part had to come from germany. No cel since - now at 5200 mi. Fyi only.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Wagon
Originally Posted by Pezhed618

I have an early 2018 e63s sedan. Got a cel at ~3000 mi. Was a misfire in cyl 5 due to inappropriate gas mixture. It was around the time of summer blend change so go figure? Cel reset and i drive off. Cel fires again at 3150mi. This time cyl 2 misfired and im told coil is bad. Replaced. Took a few fays as part had to come from germany. No cel since - now at 5200 mi. Fyi only.
If you fill up at any decent gas station then blend won’t matter. Gas mixture most likely relates fuel/air blend.

Summer vs winter
Old 07-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by Gh0st0

If you fill up at any decent gas station then blend won’t matter. Gas mixture most likely relates fuel/air blend.

Summer vs winter
I’m only relaying what the SA told me on the 2 episodes of CELs wth misfires that I experienced for those facing these issues now. I dont have an opinion on gas mixtures or the SAs initial assessment. I only use shell gas since its by my house. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 PM

2019 C63s
***UPDATE***
SA called me late Friday evening. Guidance from Germany was to switch coils. Tech put 200 miles on the car and was unable to replicate CEL. Today is Monday, and guess what? Yep, you guessed it. Another CEL. Have had the car back long enough to wash it and clock 60 miles. Techs should’ve driven it longer.

My my first call was to MB North America whom I’d already spoken with today. They called at noon to follow up on CEL #1 but at this point I’d yet to receive CEL #2. Sadly I had to report back late this afternoon with the bad news. They are escalating internally to another group within MB that facilitates buybacks. If they can fix it they will, but not knowing what the issue is, tough to fix. Said path to a buyback is a 2-4 week process. I was instructed to make another service appointment and revert once my car was with the dealer. I’m dropping off again tomorrow.

Falling out of love...
Old 07-10-2018, 06:18 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
That really sucks dude...
Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550
aside from potential buy back... are they doing ANYTHING to rectify the issue? will they give you a cash allowance towards a future purchase to instill a sense of customer service? wait.. do they even care?
Old 07-10-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
In situations like this where I'm not getting satisfaction and nobody is responding I go straight to the top. It works. Call the CEO's office. Chances are you'll get kicked down to a subordinate. But a subordinate of the CEO is still going to be someone with a lot of reach.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Ive been through all this ... made Mbusa buy my brand new 2014 e550 back in 2014 .... after they had replaced it with another new one which had same problem

keep the faith they will make you whole

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-10-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 AM

2019 C63s
SA called this morning and left message. Said misfires happened in same cylinders, so now we know [suspect] it’s not a coil issue. Germany is reviewing data but now think it may be injector related?

Meanwhile, playing phone tag with my executive contact at MBNA who called yesterday.

My GLC loaner is dope. Not really.
The following 2 users liked this post by W213e63s:
bobblehead (07-18-2018), s26singh (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 s Wagon, Porsche 911 GTS and F-250 Diesel
I had the CEL come on at 250 miles. The rest of my experience is similar to what I have read here. Tech doesn't know what the problem is and wanted to keep the car to drive. Why would I buy a new car for the dealer's mechanic to drive? Had the CEL cleared and took the car home. I can drive it until the next CEL and take it back in. Asked MBUSA to get involved and they referred me back to the dealer. The response has been underwhelming. I do hope the issue is resolved because I love the car, but in the meantime I join others here who recommend the OP look into his state's Lemon Laws. Thanks to everyone for their insights. Wish I had seen them before I signed the purchase agreement, but oh well.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Quadrobenz
Why leave the car at the dealer? If they are working on it every day then fine, but I bet they are just storing it.They have all the data, get it back and drive it. When our new E63S had the CEL come on we drove it for a week while the dealer was waiting for parts from Germany, but in my case the cause of the CEL was known. (An invisible crack in an intake manifold seam allowing unmetered air into the engine.)
Another reason for driving the car is it might clear the CEL on its own. It is a long shot but it happens on and off with my S65. The CEL will come on from driving in C mode, even at high expressway speeds. It is plug fouling. After cleaning the plugs the first time the mechanic told me to drive it in S or M for 2 or 3 days and do some full throttle high RPM pulls. On the S65 its worked 4 times for me. It usually take about 3 days of driving to clear the light. I realize these are 2 different cars but it might be worth a try.
This.
Had a Cel once when the car was new too and on other MB & BMW’s as well. If the Cel clears after restart or shortly thereafter I really don’t care.
Just like the rare, random rear differencial message.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:22 PM

2019 C63s
***UPDATE***
After 35 days my car is finally ready for me to scoop from the dealership. As others have noted, the misfires were in fact on cylinders 1 and 6. Apparently they've replaced the injectors and have completed multiple test drives, after each sending data to AMG for analysis. Technicians have completed three such drives this week, and were unable to replicate a CEL. I'm scooping the car tomorrow evening when back from vacation. I've yet to hear back from MB USA regarding a buyback. Stay tuned.
The following users liked this post:
V70cat (08-12-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Venting...CEL, Dealer Unhelpful & AMG Unresponsive