MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   What's your experience with Distronic Plus steering assist? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/719643-whats-your-experience-distronic-plus-steering-assist.html)

E634Me 08-29-2018 12:03 PM

What's your experience with Distronic Plus steering assist?

We used the feature a lot while in Germany after our European Delivery. Followed the road really well for the most part, but was limited in high tight of a corner it could maintain. When traveling through a construction zone with some very tight spacing of lanes and a hard barrier on once side and traffic on the other it maintained the lane quite well even though I was sweating about the limited room on either side.

After return to the states, my windshield was replace by the Baltimore VPC but the camera's alignment was apparently messed up and the system was disabled. It was replaced again a couple days after my US delivery as I was driving cross country back to San Diego by a dealer in Dallas due to a rock hitting the windshield. The Dallas dealer recalibrated the system and it's been working OK. But, just doesn't seem to me to work as well as it did in Germany. The car now seems more prone to losing its way even when there are continuous lane markings or a center island on one side and lane markings on the other. It will frequently lose its way when there's a gap in lane markings such as when a turn lane opening occurs.

Yesterday while having the car serviced to fix the clunking from loose anit-sway bar end links, I asked the dealer to check out the Distronic system as it didn't seem quite as good as it had previously.

Here's the comments in the service receipt:
"Customer states when using Distronic it doesn't follow the road like it used to. Please check."
M82 NPF, See Notes
11 CP
"8415 Ran DTCs. No faults found pertaining to complaint. Test drove car. Found Distroninc keeping distance properly and active steering assist functioning properly at this time. Active steering assist is a driving aid and is not meant for autonomous driving. See page 173-175 in owners manual for information on system and system limitations."

The RTFM comment is unhelpful as I fully understand the car does not support autonomous driving, and have in fact read the manual.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but my observation is that the car still doesn't maintain lanes as well as it had prior to the windshield replacements.

2012 merc amg 08-29-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by E634Me (Post 7541345)
We used the feature a lot while in Germany after our European Delivery. Followed the road really well for the most part, but was limited in high tight of a corner it could maintain. When traveling through a construction zone with some very tight spacing of lanes and a hard barrier on once side and traffic on the other it maintained the lane quite well even though I was sweating about the limited room on either side.

After return to the states, my windshield was replace by the Baltimore VPC but the camera's alignment was apparently messed up and the system was disabled. It was replaced again a couple days after my US delivery as I was driving cross country back to San Diego by a dealer in Dallas due to a rock hitting the windshield. The Dallas dealer recalibrated the system and it's been working OK. But, just doesn't seem to me to work as well as it did in Germany. The car now seems more prone to losing its way even when there are continuous lane markings or a center island on one side and lane markings on the other. It will frequently lose its way when there's a gap in lane markings such as when a turn lane opening occurs.

Yesterday while having the car serviced to fix the clunking from loose anit-sway bar end links, I asked the dealer to check out the Distronic system as it didn't seem quite as good as it had previously.

Here's the comments in the service receipt:
"Customer states when using Distronic it doesn't follow the road like it used to. Please check."
M82 NPF, See Notes
11 CP
"8415 Ran DTCs. No faults found pertaining to complaint. Test drove car. Found Distroninc keeping distance properly and active steering assist functioning properly at this time. Active steering assist is a driving aid and is not meant for autonomous driving. See page 173-175 in owners manual for information on system and system limitations."

The RTFM comment is unhelpful as I fully understand the car does not support autonomous driving, and have in fact read the manual.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but my observation is that the car still doesn't maintain lanes as well as it had prior to the windshield replacements.

Mine really does not work all that great either, you have to really watch over it. I used it some the other day coming back from CT and it does loose it's way some even when the lanes seem good which is surprising in certain situations and sometimes when lines disappear it will just head for the side of the road. Gotta be careful with it. In my 2015 S550 it's worse, the car wanders around in the lane, at night time if a cop was behind you might think you'd been drinking, at least the 2018 AMG does don't wander as much as the 2015 S550 does so they did make some progress the past 3 years with more sensors and software improvement, but they still have a ways to do, the system is still in it's infancy, it's been being used about 4 years now.

DriveAMG 08-29-2018 06:17 PM

In my opinion

If it’s used in stop and go traffic it works like a charm. Sometimes I use it while cruising on the freeway as well. Overall I’m happy with it. It delivers what was promised for the most part. I’m looking forward to the 19 which should work better in tighter corners and have the route based speed adaptation. I believe in a recent test it came out on top of its other European brethren and placed 2nd under Tesla for its driving abilities

E634Me 08-29-2018 07:09 PM

I agree with respect to stop and go traffic, I use the heck out of it on the I-5 when traffic is heavy.

When there's another car in front the system can optionally follow it instead of the lines, so it seems to do much better.

Wassaby 08-29-2018 07:55 PM

Roads in Europe tend to be have a much better quality dividing line and that helps with the system. Does anyone notice that bellow 30 with the distronic ON the system does not asking to put hands on steering wheel ?

E634Me 08-29-2018 08:08 PM

Not sure if it is below 30 MPH or a bit under that, but yes below some threshold speed you're not prompted to put a hand on the wheel.

Wassaby 08-29-2018 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by E634Me (Post 7541838)
Not sure if it is below 30 MPH or a bit under that, but yes below some threshold speed you're not prompted to put a hand on the wheel.

Have you manage to go over first 1000 miles in Europe to put some top speed?

stealth.pilot 08-29-2018 10:33 PM

It's pretty good. Much better than the one on the 2015 C-Class we used to have. Not as good as Tesla's. But it can hold lane well, only issue is it does go close to the edges on some corners, and so you have to keep an eye when you are close to other cars.

CALBenzo 08-29-2018 10:55 PM

Mine follows the lilnes really well. What I don't like is that the driver assist only works with the cruise control engaged. My MDX does not require use only with the cruise control.

E634Me 08-30-2018 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wassaby (Post 7541847)
Have you manage to go over first 1000 miles in Europe to put some top speed?

Yes, not top speed, but moving along pretty well.

Hit about 170 MPH the last night before dropping the car off the next day to be shipped to the states.

Four people in the car and a trunk full of luggage and it was still pulling very hard when I let off.

Wassaby 08-31-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by E634Me (Post 7542077)

Hit about 170 MPH the last night before dropping the car off the next day to be shipped to the states.

Four people in the car and a trunk full of luggage and it was still pulling very hard when I let off.

Nice. I got in my E400 130 MPH, i would have push it to 150 if not four people and truck full of luggage.