W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There is only one way to get correct camber when lowered.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
There is only one way to get correct camber when lowered.

So after screwing around with these for crap K-mac bushings on my 2018 e63s wagon, what a waste of time and $$$$$ I found the solution.
For the same price of these crap K-mac mickey mouse always slipping out of spec bushings I found a source for camber adjustable upper control arms.
F1- Fabrication, https://f1-fab.com sent me a pair in two days and now I have proper stock alignment on my lowered wagon. No more wearing out the inside edges on a set of P4s tires in 5,000 mi.

If you lower your e63s you must get the alignment correct and there is "no other way to do it"..

F1-Fabraication has the cure and I am so glad I found them. There is only one right way to do the job right...

The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also the only way to go back to stock is to buy new OEM lower control arms since Mercedes does not sell the bushings separately.

$700.00 for a pair of lower control arms, don't make the same mistake I did with BS K-mac bushing crap.

OEM arm.

bobblehead (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
I also didnt have such a good experience with Kmac on my c class.

Not worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJmak:
raudiace4 (07-31-2020), ronin amg (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I didn't have a good experience with K-PAX. Still regret the time wasted on that movie. Even the K-mac name of the above referenced product would have been enough to keep me away as it somehow reminds me too much of that dog of a movie.
ronin amg (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E634Me
I didn't have a good experience with K-PAX. Still regret the time wasted on that movie. Even the K-mac name of the above referenced product would have been enough to keep me away as it somehow reminds me too much of that dog of a movie.
No kidding, I should have known better after reading their responses and looking at their web page...
Now it's right, going from -2.8 to -1.6 will do the job at the lowered ride height and should give me a little more negative when in the sport + setting.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
Can we see the alignment sheet after those arms have been installed?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S
Can these be adjusted while the car is on the alignment machine?
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
There is only one way to get correct Camber when lowered

Yes and along with "new products / ideas" ...... it is mandatory to create controversy! Ferdinand Porsche and recently Elon Musk echoed this. So can see some background history is needed....

With Mercedes models only having front and rear toe, directional adjustment K-MAC was first to design and patent both front and rear Camber and Caster adjuster kits to suit all.

For the front and rear we could have gone with simply "adjustable" arms - no controversy (doing nothing flawlessly).

But problem here is difficult to access, adjust and to reduce premature inner edge tire wear "top of tires" need to be adjusted outwards reducing all important clearance to outer fenders.

So we saw the need to design a system whereby the "lower arms" could be adjusted inwards (or outwards to increase both track width and negative Camber on race days).

Last 40 years or so the standard procedure has been the labor / time consuming, trial and error method of having a offset bush then to change a setting the need to remove and reposition each time.

Challenge here was therefore to come up with a design where three criterias were met - no difficult access. Speed / ease of adjustment and where adjustment could be made accurately (under load direct on alignment rack).

Often said simplest design is the best design. What we came up with was just that. Patented invention allowing easily accessible "precise single wrench" adjustment.

The front bushings being both Camber and Caster adjustable and also at same time replacing the 4 highest wearing suspension bushings.

Majority of today's aftermarket replacement bushes promote improved brake and steering response - by eliminating OEM rubber along with the oil and air voids - and replacing with urethane!

Problem here is that today's autos having multi link arms / mount angles what often occurs is binding, locking up of arms as they are prevented from traveling through there required suspension arcs.

Harsh steel spherical bearings are often used to resolve this, but in day to day commuting can soon pound out We saw the need therefore to design, develop and include in K-MAC front bushings a mono ball / 2 axis bush having more then 4 times the load bearing area of spherical bearings and being able to absorb impact loads.

This was then further developed in all out heavy V8 competition racing - hitting race curbs at end of main straight, launching, becoming fully airborn then slamming down broadside, lap after lap.

Situations where Race Safety scrutineers ruling for Safety, reliability K-MAC and only K-MAC adjuster kits are allowed to be used.

At K-MAC not outsourcing we have the advantage of "in - house" manufacture which allows constant updates, development.

For example situations where a bush lock nut not fully tight (and being a suspension component this is absolutely essential) with majority of locking systems from the basic spring washer to the upscale "Nord Lok washers" depend on reverse teeth. If not fully tight in a suspension application inevitable looseness / movement / setting change will occur!

To resolve this problem once and for all we come up with a lock tab system where once tightened (no matter what the tension) nut cannot unintentionally loosen!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

K-mac bushings suck and are a complete waste of money because when they slip and they do, the only fix for the slipping K-mac bushing is a pair of new Mercedes lower arms for another $700.00 + labor to install and realign back to stock...

K-mac please get the hell off my thread since you have cost me over $2,000.00. Your products suck..

Last edited by ronin amg; 09-14-2018 at 10:10 AM.
24Hours (09-17-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mandarin
Can we see the alignment sheet after those arms have been installed?

From -2.8 with the K-crap to -1.6 with the F1-Fabrication adjustable upper arm..and yes they can be adjusted on the alignment rack..

Last edited by ronin amg; 09-14-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Mandarin (09-14-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Ronin indeed is your thread - but being fair minded surely was entitled to reply. Especially seeing as mentioned the effort we put into R & D. Then the ultimate proving of products in all out 10 / 10ths competition racing to quickly identify any unforeseen problems.

We do emphasis in instructions (see below) "essential nuts are fully torqued" - to prevent looseness resulting in identifiable noise Otherwise long term - brake / acceleration resulting the wearing down of the hardened steel teeth preventing clamping. Being a customer had you contacted us we would have identified the problem and supplied new bushing at no cost.

Below 2 pics clearly shows advantage of Race Track proving our products. In this instance actual design of adjustable arm "mount connections" Also note the 2 axis movement incorporated into these K-MAC end mounts, further ensuring against fatigue breakage.

Last edited by K-Mac; 09-17-2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: One more photo
Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by K-Mac
Ronin indeed is your thread - but being fair minded surely was entitled to reply. Especially seeing as mentioned the effort we put into R & D. Then the ultimate proving of products in all out 10 / 10ths competition racing to quickly identify any unforeseen problems.

We do emphasis in instructions (see below) "essential nuts are fully torqued" - to prevent looseness resulting in identifiable noise Otherwise long term - brake / acceleration resulting the wearing down of the hardened steel teeth preventing clamping. Being a customer had you contacted us we would have identified the problem and supplied new bushing at no cost.

Below 2 pics clearly shows advantage of Race Track proving our products. In this instance actual design of adjustable arm "mount connections" Also note the 2 axis movement incorporated into these K-MAC end mounts, further ensuring against fatigue breakage.
This is a tough one. I understand your desire to defend your product but I'm inclined to believe Ronan... I think the reasons are fairly obvious for that and no specific reflection on you or your company.

Can I ask, though--did you refund his money or offer to cover the damages?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Was obviously necessary to point out the reason behind the slippage. The quick reference check lists supplied (with all front and rear instructions). The emphasis on full tightness and then the final securing by our positive lock system... only if had some feedback at the time. Even so we are always in there trying and if Ronin privately emails his account details, yes will refund his purchase price!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seriously, you post a picture of a failed component from F1-Fabrication as if means something to me or anyone that has been modifying and building cars for over 40 yrs.
You product sucks and if 95 ft.lb. of torque isn't gonna hold it in place it's a pice of crap.
Ya know it's not the money for the junk you sell but the waste of my time that really pisses me off.
Having to have my car realigned three times at $250 each plus the price of two new OEM lower control arms at $700 and installed tells me your K-mac junk is just crap..

Seriously a +/- .3* adjustment is a joke, sorry dude your stuff is crap..

These are my lower control arms and you can clearly see the K-crap bushings have moved even when torqued down to 95 ft lb.
They were originally set for less negative camber equal on both sides, their rotation to more negative camber screws everything up and it does it unevenly.. Again R$D is done by the customer in the real world..

K-Crap camber bushings at the time the lower arms were removed after a short drive through the canyons...

Last edited by ronin amg; 09-18-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again, if you want proper camber adjustment there is only one way to get it and keep it adjusted properly....

Last edited by ronin amg; 09-18-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In theory it seems like a good idea but in the real world the K-crap bushings are junk..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Sir, I think we'd be good friends.......more power to you Sir, hope you get your money back; that's the only language some people understand you know?

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Sometimes, you just got to call a company out ... glad the OP found a good product
ronin amg (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Sometimes, you just got to call a company out ... glad the OP found a good product
I wouldn’t call these arms a good product just yet. Going by past experience with several different aftermarket suspension brands and parts for AMGs, there’s not one I’d trust or recommend. Hopefully unlike most, these pass the test of time.
TECHNICIAN (08-05-2021)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chiromikey

I wouldn’t call these arms a good product just yet. Going by past experience with several different aftermarket suspension brands and parts for AMGs, there’s not one I’d trust or recommend. Hopefully unlike most, these pass the test of time.
So a U bend steel pipe with a adjustable heim joint is something that needs to be tested over time before it is AMG worthy ?
Enjoy replacing your front tires every 5,000 mi., I'll be enjoying a better handling AMG wagon and getting longer longer tire life..

E634Me (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by ronin amg
So a U bend steel pipe with a adjustable heim joint is something that needs to be tested over time before it is AMG worthy ?
Enjoy replacing your front tires every 5,000 mi., I'll be enjoying a better handling AMG wagon and getting longer longer tire life..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbRe...&frags=pl%2Cwn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh535De4hKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVisLuiU-Oo
No need to get defensive but get back to me after you’ve counted the number of broken aftermarket AMG suspension parts reported over the last several years, including toe links which are an even simpler design than the “U bend steel pipes” that you think don’t need to be tested much.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
don’t be toxic to him. He expressed his opinion, which is right in a way . There is not such a thing that can be better than factory part, I won’t believe that F1 has a better technicians than amg does. Of course it has to be tested over the time, as I may notice you are the only one here who complained about kmac on w213 and praised f1. You can’t sinply say that kmac has worse product just because it didn’t suit your car .

he won’t be replacing his tires, just because he is clever enough not to lower his car and install some aftermarket camber kit.
A priori that kit can’t give you advantage of better handling, if handling could be improved , it would be done from the factory. It may only longer the tire life as you said.
Good luck and don’t driver over potholes on decent speed

Last edited by dav461; 09-19-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again there is the only real fix for camber adjustment whether you are at standard ride height or lowered...
There is no front camber adjustment possible in the stock suspension design.

F1- Fabrication upper control arm with camber adjustment..
Stock upper with zero adjustment possible..

Kinda spooky looking at that thinning taper and a non replaceable ball joint...I guess you guys should be carefull around those potholes..I could have a bit too much toe in..

Last edited by ronin amg; 09-19-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
In theory it seems like a good idea but in the real world the K-crap bushings are junk..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Yep thats from my car and the pics were taken off in my garage.

Those barely had any mileage on them. My car was pretty slammed but still, the bushings shouldn't have readjusted them selves.

I shipped those control arms together with the bushings in them to a member here for free. I paid $400 plus for the front only bushings
ronin amg (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PJmak
Yep thats from my car and the pics were taken off in my garage.

Those barely had any mileage on them. My car was pretty slammed but still, the bushings shouldn't have readjusted them selves.

I shipped those control arms together with the bushings in them to a member here for free. I paid $400 plus for the front only bushings
Yeah as you can tell I'm pissed at having wasted so much time and money on this crap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: There is only one way to get correct camber when lowered.