W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would Renntech stage one void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
e63s edition 1
Would Renntech stage one void the warranty?

What the title says... Am considering an e63s and wanna know if Stage One voids the warranty at all. I'll be buying rather than leasing. But not at the expense of voiding the warranty as it might hurt resale. How have others in similar situations dealt with this?

Appreciate the input! Thanks!
f.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by friskygeek
What the title says... Am considering an e63s and wanna know if Stage One voids the warranty at all. I'll be buying rather than leasing. But not at the expense of voiding the warranty as it might hurt resale. How have others in similar situations dealt with this?

Appreciate the input! Thanks!
f.
yes , it will void the warranty for the engine part, if something will go wrong. Expertise will show ecu parameters different from stock.
Better to buy 2nd ecu for swap.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:14 AM

e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by dav461
Better to buy 2nd ecu for swap.
Sorry Im a bit of a noob on these things. The 2nd ECU means that whenever you wanna take the car in for servicing, you'd swap it out beforehand?

f.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Sorry Im a bit of a noob on these things. The 2nd ECU means that whenever you wanna take the car in for servicing, you'd swap it out beforehand?

f.
Yes , that’s right. Quick swap 30s job.
it all depends on your dealer. I used to service with tuned ecu, just had to let know dealer not to update software in ecu if there is newer factory version of it, because it will flash tuning file back to stock. When doing service , dealer also make quick diagnostics of car electronic system, with tuned ecu it will show “False” parameter which will lead to investigation as car is on warranty.
In order not to have any headache , I strongly advice you to buy 2nd ecu. You have to clone it to your car VIN. Dealers I got around can’t do it, unless they flash to 0 original ecu which will make it not to work anymore. So you can use garage with xentry star or ask rentech to clone it for you if they can.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by dav461

Yes , that’s right. Quick swap 30s job.
it all depends on your dealer. I used to service with tuned ecu, just had to let know dealer not to update software in ecu if there is newer factory version of it, because it will flash tuning file back to stock. When doing service , dealer also make quick diagnostics of car electronic system, with tuned ecu it will show “False” parameter which will lead to investigation as car is on warranty.
In order not to have any headache , I strongly advice you to buy 2nd ecu. You have to clone it to your car VIN. Dealers I got around can’t do it, unless they flash to 0 original ecu which will make it not to work anymore. So you can use garage with xentry star or ask rentech to clone it for you if they can.
During normal service there is no reason to scan the car or make any investigation into the M/E. We get tuned cars in all the time and just don't update them if the cust lets us know in advance, otherwise it's not a problem unless something breaks related to the tune.

FWIW, if you blow up an engine and they investigate, it will show that the M/E has been removed and replaced multiple times, the M/E also records mileage and it has a serial #, if they are investigating at that level, they will know you have swapped the M/E out.

Don't be afraid to tune the car, it's almost never a problem. Just don't believe that there is any way to do it and be completely undetected. You guys are aware that remote diagnostics is now possible right? That means the car can run it's own short test and upload it to paperless SDS, same as we do in the workshop.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 09-28-2018 at 09:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
AJB70 (02-27-2021), dmjr (10-27-2018), tonecas (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 09:53 AM

e63s edition 1
Thanks for the info guys. I dont track my cars and pretty much baby them haha. So this seems to be more hassle or risk than its worth... But good to know about the 2nd ECU option.

Thanks!
f.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thanks for the info guys. I dont track my cars and pretty much baby them haha. So this seems to be more hassle or risk than its worth... But good to know about the 2nd ECU option.

Thanks!
f.
All my AMGs were modded by my dealer with Renntech ECU and other things (exhaust, downpipes, etc).
Dealer does the warranty work and as long as you don't tell MBUSA no one is the wiser.
I have never worried about it....
friskygeek (09-29-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 AM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
the dealer in KC specifically states " RENNtech performance parts do not alter the Mercedes-Benz manufacturer warranty as long as they are installed by a RENNtech authorized installer." https://www.aristocratmotors.com/ren...formance-parts they even offer turnkey renntech cars. my buddy has a 14 cls63 that had every renntech upgrade installed by the dealer at time of purchase (larger turbos, tune, exhaust, wheels, etc.) and right before the warranty expired on the car had the complete engine replaced under warranty due to high oil consumption.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 e63s estate
2nd ECU is not an option (with out a few other matching components). After my issues with the buyback, I'd suggest another tuner as Renntech, unlike some others, offered no support in transferring the software lic. to a replacement vehicle.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I would be careful with a tune for any w213 owner that has a brand new car and hasn't put enough miles on it to determine they don't have the 1/6 cylinder injector whatever issue ... can easily see benz declining warranty if they aren't a supportive dealer if they knew you had a tune
absent (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I would be careful with a tune for any w213 owner that has a brand new car and hasn't put enough miles on it to determine they don't have the 1/6 cylinder injector whatever issue ... can easily see benz declining warranty if they aren't a supportive dealer if they knew you had a tune
Absolutely true.
Back in 2003 I had my new E55 already scheduled for full Renntech package and just 2 days before my scheduled appointment the fuel pump exploded in my 600 mile car.
MBUSA replaced the entire engine but I shudder at the thought of what would happen if it happened just a few days later (with Renntech work done).
Old 02-27-2021, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS550 but aiming for AMG GT
Listen to this guy.

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
During normal service there is no reason to scan the car or make any investigation into the M/E. We get tuned cars in all the time and just don't update them if the cust lets us know in advance, otherwise it's not a problem unless something breaks related to the tune.

FWIW, if you blow up an engine and they investigate, it will show that the M/E has been removed and replaced multiple times, the M/E also records mileage and it has a serial #, if they are investigating at that level, they will know you have swapped the M/E out.

Don't be afraid to tune the car, it's almost never a problem. Just don't believe that there is any way to do it and be completely undetected. You guys are aware that remote diagnostics is now possible right? That means the car can run it's own short test and upload it to paperless SDS, same as we do in the workshop.
I had my CLS550 ECU sent off to RENNtech by my Mercedes Dealer where I bought the car. They know I have an extended warranty yet when I asked they said they haven’t had any issues with RENNtech tunes whatsoever, so though RENNtech is a bit more pricey, having a work order from your MB dealer showing that THEY handled the ECU tune with RENNtech, and also upgraded the spark plugs etc. gives you peace of mind.

I don’t know enough about the new RENNtech HHT but would like to know more as I’m considering purchasing a CPO 2019 E63.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 E53
MB Tampa has a AMG ECU tuner
I talk to them about doing a tune on my C 63 bump in the horsepower to 600+. about $2500.
When went to the AMG driving school at Road Atlanta before I had it modified. We were driving their C63 S flat out! AMG instructor said" Don't worry about breaking it,It's not your car". I could not drive that car. It became very clear to me that any additional horsepower for driving around the street just was not necessary and less drivable yes you're using it for sports car club racing or something similar.