W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 E63 Wagon LEMON LAW Issue need advice!

Old 09-30-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 LR Disco HSE LUX, 2019 E63S, 2019 Sierra AT4
Originally Posted by Pertplus

I don’t necessarily think your theory about the delay is incorrect but I do think — like many have said before me — that the forum complaints are a small microcosm of the overall population of cars of those with vs without major issues.

I think it’s either the European emissions standards certifications (post-VW scandal) or a purposeful sales/marketing strategy by Mercedes Benz worldwide (in conjunction with MBUSA) that’s releasing these models in stages. If it’s a coordinated sales/marketing strategy, I will say it’s definfiely a different experience than what I’ve had with BMW where they release models to the dealers as they clear the VPCs and aren’t held up en masse.

​​Someone needs to be fired. What kind of moron would hold sold vehicles that are not new releases?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Pertplus

Out of the entire population of 2018 E63s in the United States, how many have been lemon’d?
Well what's scarier is to know cars like mine are out there which are 100% lemons by law, but I have to live with for three years and the sucker that buys it after my lease is up has to live with it for whatever lease/buy term he opts for.
We now know that Mercedes will use any legal loopholes they can in their massive legal power to force owners to keep paying for and driving lemons and the next buyers to suffer the same fate.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Originally Posted by kcjonz

​​Someone needs to be fired. What kind of moron would hold sold vehicles that are not new releases?
Im seriously baffled why they haven’t released cars already spoken for....or at least give their dealers some more insight to pass on to the end customer. I haven’t had a car since June of this year, and the thought of waiting to December is a buzzkill to say the least.

Last edited by Pertplus; 10-01-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Originally Posted by BenzGTR
Well what's scarier is to know cars like mine are out there which are 100% lemons by law, but I have to live with for three years and the sucker that buys it after my lease is up has to live with it for whatever lease/buy term he opts for.
We now know that Mercedes will use any legal loopholes they can in their massive legal power to force owners to keep paying for and driving lemons and the next buyers to suffer the same fate.
I know everyone complains about my state California as being so awful, blah blah blah...but damn, at least our lemon laws specifically cover leases. I just looked up Arizona and it seems clear that Arizona excludes leases from their lemon law protection. Crazy.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q7
This is freaking awful! I feel for you. Any thoughts in just buying the car out of lease then claiming lemon law? Its a huge hassle and will tie up a significant amount of cash for a few months but at least you will be rid of this headache.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Will MB USA eat the lease costs for the time it was in the shop? Seems possible.... Also, bring it back for more repairs if they do. At least eventually it will be right and you will have costs covered for the down time.

Hi guys,
I bought my wife a 2018 E63 wagon about 5 months ago. It's been in the shop several times, most recently it was in there for 40 days straight to replace the "cam adjusters".
The car would shake badly at idle. After 40 days of driving a loaner GLC300 we get it back and it's still shaking periodically. The lemon law here in Arizona says if a car is in the shop for more than 30 days total for the same thing in 3 years it's a lemon. Well our has been in about 50 days in the first three months with less than 1000 miles on it! So we contacted Mercedes about a buy back and they denied it because since we leased the vehicle state lemon laws do not apply. LOL. We contacted a couple lawyers and they said the same thing.
We have bought over 20 new Mercedes products overt the last 25 years and I even have a $200K 2019 GTR on order that is supposed to be here in two months. Who can I contact at MB to plead my case? At this point I'm stuck with nightmare car that they won't buy back. I feel like canceling on my GTR as I will be leasing that too and now know if it's a lemon Mercedes won't do anything for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Audiodog
Will MB USA eat the lease costs for the time it was in the shop? Seems possible.... Also, bring it back for more repairs if they do. At least eventually it will be right and you will have costs covered for the down time.
Who would I contact to get the lost time back? It sucks driving a $35K GLC for almost two months when you paid for a $135K AMG
Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
MB USA customer support. They routinely do offer this. I have requested them eat a month for my 27 days in the shop for the infamous CEL light!

Who would I contact to get the lost time back? It sucks driving a $35K GLC for almost two months when you paid for a $135K AMG
Old 10-01-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
I wonder if they solved the problem? I had it but after new fuel injectors the car has been running great. Not sure lemon is the answer I love my car and don't know what I would get instead.
Yes MB should provide better loaners and they should not take weeks to provide dealers direction.
The head of MB should focus on this we are all consumers of $100,000 plus car and should be treated better!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:36 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Maybe... no light for me in almost a week. Swapped some injectors as well. Want a month of lease back since they took so long troubleshooting. I should not have to pay for an AMG while it sits for weeks while they think of what to do...

Originally Posted by V70cat
I wonder if they solved the problem? I had it but after new fuel injectors the car has been running great. Not sure lemon is the answer I love my car and don't know what I would get instead.
Yes MB should provide better loaners and they should not take weeks to provide dealers direction.
The head of MB should focus on this we are all consumers of $100,000 plus car and should be treated better!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Just returned from picking my car up following almost 3 weeks at the shop. Mentioned that the down time in the shop effectively cost me $xxxx in payments. Said he'd check and see what they could do about it. Car is purchased not leased and MB isn't in the loan anywhere. Will be interesting to see what if anything they do for me.

Was kind of funny when the cashier printed out the service invoice. Printer was busy for a while and she was surprised at the number of pages printed and the $0 total.

They did do quite a bit on it. Test drove it for 120 miles at about 10 miles per drive. Mercedes Me didn't report any high speed runs, but as there isn't a drift mode detection option I can only hope that didn't happen. Swapped all coils, R&R plugs, did pressure check on the fuel lines, pressure test on cylinders, scoped bores, swapped fuel rails, swapped injectors around, etc., uploading test results to Mercedes. Rinse and repeat until Mercedes eventually authorized release of the car.

Fingers crossed the problem has been fixed for good.

They did note that my front tires are about done at only 8900 miles. Interestingly rears have more tread life remaining than fronts. I looked at the front tires and the outer half of the tread is more heavily worn than the inner half of the tire, but not horribly so. I planned to swap to Michelins when the Pirellis were worn down - just didn't expect to swap quite so soon.

Once the fronts are done I guess I'll put it in drift mode and send the rears to tire heaven - no sense changing tires with tread remaining

Last edited by E634Me; 10-01-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Updated after having a quick look at the front tire wear
Old 10-01-2018, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Sounds like a plan with the Rears Ya, I do notice the front tires do wear faster than the rears so I guess thats normal with the 213's with my 212 rear wheel drive it was the opposite the rears would need to be replaced at like 14K miles and the fronts would go 20K miles. I just replaced my rear tires last week because a few weeks back I had a nail in one of the rear tires and it ran low on air for around a couple miles. The person who fixed the tires said it looked ok, it was not, the tire started vibrating and the cord was showing on the inside of the tire and it needed to be replaced. Car was at 11.5K miles and I felt like I would have got 20K miles out of the rears, was around half worn or so. I was checking the Fronts the other day and realized I probably should have just changed out all 4 tires, although I think I might be able to get another few more thousand miles out of them.

That must be a little unsettling having them driven your car 120 miles, I know I'd be a little up tight about that. I wonder if there is anyway to see how many times the car has gone into race start?. Although I really doubt they'd do that. Hopefully your problem with the misfire is gone for good. I just did a 700 mile trip in my car over the weekend and just a shade over 12K miles now and no problems knock on wood.

Oh ya on a different subject I figured out a way to get the car to drop down to the 4 cyl mode while in Cruise control, you just tap the gas pedal just a bit and it will go into to 4 cyl mode and stay there while in cruise until it demands 8 cyl. like a hill or something, then when you're back on level ground just give it a little bit more gas and it will go back into 4 cyl mode. It keeps you alert, between the ding every minute to touch the steering wheel and then refreshing the 4 cyl mode, lol. Doing this I can get better gas mileage while on Distronic .

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 10-01-2018 at 08:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
E634Me (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Oh ya on a different subject I figured out a way to get the car to drop down to the 4 cyl mode while in Cruise control, you just tap the gas pedal just a bit and it will go into to 4 cyl mode and stay there while in cruise until it demands 8 cyl. like a hill or something, then when you're back on level ground just give it a little bit more gas and it will go back into 4 cyl mode. It keeps you alert, between the ding every minute to touch the steering wheel and then refreshing the 4 cyl mode, lol. Doing this I can get better gas mileage while on Distronic .
Cool, I'll have to try that.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Probably good your getting new tires all around and getting rid of the pirellis, you will notice a big difference with the Michelins. I think right now most MB dealers are offering a deal to the end of October on 150 dollars off on a set of 4 tires and give you a 1 year free road hazard plan so if you get a nail in a tire or damaged for whatever reason it will be fixed or replace by the dealer. https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...parts/overview

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 10-01-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
As a side note, do any of the cars that have been voluntarily bought back by MB show on carfax as a buyback? Or does it have to be a lemon to show on Carfax?
Old 10-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by kponti
As a side note, do any of the cars that have been voluntarily bought back by MB show on carfax as a buyback? Or does it have to be a lemon to show on Carfax?
my 2014 e550's were both buybacks and didn't list that in carfax... just showed all the heavy trans repairs and change of owners and auction sale etc ; neither were lemon titled
Old 10-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
14 E63S
Originally Posted by kponti
Just came across this one for sale in Florida:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WDDZF8KB9JA384137.pdf (284.5 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by ashva; 10-06-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

my 2014 e550's were both buybacks and didn't list that in carfax... just showed all the heavy trans repairs and change of owners and auction sale etc ; neither were lemon titled
Buybacks typically do not end up with a lemoned title. But good to know Carfax usually does not report, gotta watch for that
Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by ashva
Just came across this one for sale in Florida:
I guess watching for major work being done on Carfax and car being sold months later is a good indication it was a buyback
Attorny General's office involved, someone threatened or even sued to get the car bought back