Sponsored by:

RIP 2018 E63 - Lemon Law Buyback Completed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
I'll post the current version of the TIPS doc tonight, it's really detailed in checking for leaks. It seems they are attributing the random misfires to exhaust or intake tract leaks in many cases, I just don't believe that as it's on both sides and seems to be usually the same cylinders. It's been updated many times and the engineering version has more info, but we can only go with what we are given. My FTS linked me to the internal one when I had a car with a case open, I couldn't even open it, he had to print it from his login and give it to me. They really don't let the techs do much to actually fix the cars anymore sadly.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
They did all the leak tests on my car too - none found.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Very strange issue indeed. It will be interesting to see if your light comes back. When the light kept coming on all those times it did and you kept resetting it the car seemed to run ok? I really debate if this happens with my car if it might be best just to drive the car with it on until they come out with a conclusive solution to the issue. I really am not ready to have this car bought back and it is one of the best cars I've ever owned, I enjoy driving it. Could there be harm in simply covering over the check engine light area with a small piece of black tape and continue driving the car for months or so until there is a solution? I'm mainly asking Joe this question since he is a MB Tech. One thing I do not like is the way MB is so secretive with everything, not a good way to run a business. I pay an extra 20 dollars every month for the entertain package the past couple months they have been having a lot of issues with their servers not working therefore no internet connection or internet radio. I'm wasting my money having this service, it works off and on. I know the problem is on MB's end, I finally got it out of the one of the customer service reps, but so many of the others would not tell me they were having issues when I called. The last guy claims the issue will be totally squared away on their end within the next couple of weeks. Wish the others had been honest with me. Also all the people MB keeps waiting months on end with their cars just sitting at the terminals, it's just not right. I got lucky that my car came fresh off the boat and was shipped straight to the dealer.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 10-11-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
For the most part it ran OK. When it was getting real misfire after a cold start you could feel it idling funny. Never kept it running very long to see if it would clear its throat and run right. Always turned car off at first opportunity, which was usually still in the parking lot, and then re-fired and the car ran fine each time after that till the next episode upon being started - mostly after a cold start.

Took it in, because a) it shouldn't misfire and idle rough, and b) wanted to establish a record in the unlikely event they don't seem to be able to get a good fix and its in the shop more than in my own garage. I love the car and really don't want to go through a buy-back process, but needed to protect my options.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear you, I understand. If it happens to me I will take my car in also but to a different dealer than the one i bought it from, that really irked me today them charging me forty dollars to re balance the rear wheels where I had just paid them to balanced them a week ago and had the rear wheel vibration afterwards. Never again will that dealer touch my car. I was looking at a new Volvo at their sister store next door while waiting for my Benz in the shop. I'm thinking about a Volvo V90 Wagon as my daily driver. They won't get my business. It was an insult to me this whole thing, I know a wheel balance issue when I drive a car, they claimed the wheels where all balanced within spec before essentially calling me a liar but then re-balancing them and that fixed the issue. Plus I told them not to take the car for a test drive, they seem to like to do that, they did end up driving the car 4 miles anyhow. Plus they don't scrape off the wheel weight residue on the inside of the rim from where weights are removed, it shows with these rims, I did that this afternoon with some goo be gone. It was a very annoying day for me today with that dealer.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 10-11-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Sorry you had a bad experience but it is not a reason to boycott Mercedes. Mercedes doesn't have a monopoly on lemons.

Pick any other brand. and I will find you examples of lemon threads on boards like this.

2018 M5
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=lemon

2015 M5
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179818

2017 Panamera
https://www.macanforum.com/forum/oth...-panamera.html

Audi A7
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...-back-2902588/
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (10-14-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by TheFranchizeSLB
nice! i was dead-set on the e63 next but these issues are just ridiculous and inexcusable for something so expensive! im considering the M5 as well... plus their deals are so much better than MB
As I posted above there are people who will say the same thing about their new M5.

FWIW My E63S has been trouble free. I'm not gloating, I'm just pointing out that most of these cars don't have issues.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
18 E63s wagon
Add my baby to the list. They are going to start with the coils in my case... see you in a couple weeks dad wagon.

Day 1 I had a gls63 loaner which was comforting. Now I'm in a C300 :-(

So as far as I can tell in the various threads, not a single car with misfires has been long term repaired?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Have mine back for two weeks. No CEL. They wound up changing some injectors.

Originally Posted by Jonathan Reedy
Add my baby to the list. They are going to start with the coils in my case... see you in a couple weeks dad wagon.

So as far as I can tell in the various threads, not a single car with misfires has been long term repaired?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
This is the current bulletin that directs us on this problem on these cars. Very limited info, and as of yet I haven't seen anything conclusive on the ones that didn't have something major like a cracked intake manifold. Seen that one one S class, but it ran terrible, was very obvious something major was wrong. Also sucks that the engine has to come out for intake manifold replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
177 misfire LI 10-18.pdf (41.2 KB, 387 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
E634Me (10-13-2018), tonecas (10-14-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Originally Posted by Jonathan Reedy

You have to consider that here on the forum are just a handful of people who tell their story. Is hard to know what percentage of all E63 sold have this issue.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Keep in mind it is a rarity and a lot of people have never had the check engine light activate.
Unfortunately, it's not nearly rare enough for my liking. Considering how much lower volume the E63S is, with all the reports and actual lemon buybacks on here, this is N54-engine bad.

I think my current plan will be to wait until the MY'19 come out (whenever that is) and seeing if the problems continue.

Funny you mention casting glances at the V90. Was just watching some video reviews of it last night.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
I hear you, I understand. If it happens to me I will take my car in also but to a different dealer than the one i bought it from, that really irked me today them charging me forty dollars to re balance the rear wheels where I had just paid them to balanced them a week ago and had the rear wheel vibration afterwards. Never again will that dealer touch my car. I was looking at a new Volvo at their sister store next door while waiting for my Benz in the shop. I'm thinking about a Volvo V90 Wagon as my daily driver. They won't get my business. It was an insult to me this whole thing, I know a wheel balance issue when I drive a car, they claimed the wheels where all balanced within spec before essentially calling me a liar but then re-balancing them and that fixed the issue. Plus I told them not to take the car for a test drive, they seem to like to do that, they did end up driving the car 4 miles anyhow. Plus they don't scrape off the wheel weight residue on the inside of the rim from where weights are removed, it shows with these rims, I did that this afternoon with some goo be gone. It was a very annoying day for me today with that dealer.
In regards to the V90 wagon, I think your will be disappointed. I have an XC90 & drove a V90 while my car was in service for a week. The V90 is a beautiful looking car, however it rides rough & the engine is awful. Engine sounds like a cheap 4 cylinder & has no power, especially when passing on the highway.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by gengar
Unfortunately, it's not nearly rare enough for my liking. Considering how much lower volume the E63S is, with all the reports and actual lemon buybacks on here, this is N54-engine bad.

I think my current plan will be to wait until the MY'19 come out (whenever that is) and seeing if the problems continue.

Funny you mention casting glances at the V90. Was just watching some video reviews of it last night.
It's also not that bad. Yes I know it's unacceptable for a new car to have issues but this is a simple misfire detection/sensitivity issue, if they could back it down a little and let the M/E be more tolerant, it wouldn't set the codes. Most people just have the light and no rough running or any other symptoms. Not like the engines are grenading or anything.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
It's also not that bad. Yes I know it's unacceptable for a new car to have issues but this is a simple misfire detection/sensitivity issue, if they could back it down a little and let the M/E be more tolerant, it wouldn't set the codes. Most people just have the light and no rough running or any other symptoms. Not like the engines are grenading or anything.
Agreed. For anyone affected this is a big deal but in a way I feel that this is a lesser issue than the early recall of the M5 where the engines literally shutdown while driving on the highway and cars failing on the day of delivery. But BMW was on the ball and delivered software updates that took care of the issue, something that AMG has been too slow on. That said, I take a misfire over the engine shutting down on me
Old 10-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Lunar Blue E63S
I had three CELs over a three month period. Never ran rough or even had any clue as to why the light set. Car ran perfectly the entire time. Not sure why this can’t be programmed out. Seems a sensitivity issue.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
My guess is emissions - probably California wanting things tightened up a lot so people aren't driving around with misfires spewing unburned fuel.

For the most part my car ran OK with the codes thrown, but there were a couple time where it was running rough right after start. Ran fine after restart.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gengar

I'm really not worried about this issue with the check engine light. I think MB will come up with a software update and until that time I know if it happens on my car I'll try changing out the injectors in cyl's 1 and 6 if it's the 1 and 6 fault codes and see what happens with that. I'll fight to keep this car no matter what, there is a solution for everything.

Thanks for the info on the V90. I've been watching a real lot of reviews on them and was excited when I saw how beautiful the wagon was, but I think beauty is only skin deep and what you say is true according to the reviews I'm reading and videos I'm watching. The more in-depth reviews are saying the Benz has a big edge even though more money. I'm really thinking about a used 2016 E350 Wagon as my daily driver. It's a real challenge though trying to find those with Distronic. Plus even those used are not cheap. The V-6 in those cars is a tried and true design and 302HP is not bad out of a normally aspirated motor. I can see one of those running over 200K miles easily. I really don't want a E400, with the restyle the dimensions are a little more tight, it was a lot more easy to get a wheelchair in my 2012 AMG vs my 2018 AMG wagon, I miss the 2012 although like the 2018 much better from a performance and handling standpoint. I think anyone who puts off a purchase on this car because they think it's gonna be trouble is missing the boat.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 10-13-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E634Me
My guess is emissions - probably California wanting things tightened up a lot so people aren't driving around with misfires spewing unburned fuel.

For the most part my car ran OK with the codes thrown, but there were a couple time where it was running rough right after start. Ran fine after restart.
I think this could be true, Benz is between a rock and hard place with emissions on this issue. I'm sure they must have engineers working on it. They are sometimes slow to get things done but generally get there from what I've seen.

Joe, how hard is it to change out a couple of injectors in this car? Say my car gets the 1/6 misfire engine light is changing out the 1/6 injectors something I could get done at the dealer while I waited assuming they had the injectors in stock? I would think just pop them in and hook up the connectors and put the engine cover back on? I hate the thought of much downtime with the car and can see how people who had their car sit a month or more at the dealer with this issue where pissed off. I want to try not to let that happen if I have the check engine light issue crop up. I'll be doing a 1450 mile trip in a week so keeping my fingers crossed. By the time I get to Venice I'll have 13,500 miles on the car.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 10-13-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Yes I know it's unacceptable for a new car to have issues but this is a simple misfire detection/sensitivity issue, if they could back it down a little and let the M/E be more tolerant, it wouldn't set the codes.
how can we be sure??
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by tonecas
how can we be sure??
Of?
Old 10-14-2018, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
I think this could be true, Benz is between a rock and hard place with emissions on this issue. I'm sure they must have engineers working on it. They are sometimes slow to get things done but generally get there from what I've seen.

Joe, how hard is it to change out a couple of injectors in this car? Say my car gets the 1/6 misfire engine light is changing out the 1/6 injectors something I could get done at the dealer while I waited assuming they had the injectors in stock? I would think just pop them in and hook up the connectors and put the engine cover back on? I hate the thought of much downtime with the car and can see how people who had their car sit a month or more at the dealer with this issue where pissed off. I want to try not to let that happen if I have the check engine light issue crop up. I'll be doing a 1450 mile trip in a week so keeping my fingers crossed. By the time I get to Venice I'll have 13,500 miles on the car.
Takes 4-5 hours if you haven't done it before, per side. Also needs the engine to be cold. You must move a ton of stuff to remove the injector rails. If you are doing 1/6, thats both sides of the engine, so plan on a full day of work at minimum. There will never be just tossing injectors in, there will be diag and time spent before it even gets to that point. It's not the injectors, how does an injector know it's on #1/#6 cyl? It's the same injector on every car. Every engine uses the same DI injectors anyway. You program the M/E with the coding for that specific set of injectors but they aren't cylinder specific.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by tonecas
how can we be sure??
You seem to get excited here over nothing IMO. You are in Europe and they don't seem to have the issue over there so what gives?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Takes 4-5 hours if you haven't done it before, per side. Also needs the engine to be cold. You must move a ton of stuff to remove the injector rails. If you are doing 1/6, thats both sides of the engine, so plan on a full day of work at minimum. There will never be just tossing injectors in, there will be diag and time spent before it even gets to that point. It's not the injectors, how does an injector know it's on #1/#6 cyl? It's the same injector on every car. Every engine uses the same DI injectors anyway. You program the M/E with the coding for that specific set of injectors but they aren't cylinder specific.
They changed the injectors in my E63s wagon and knock wood, all seems good.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 552 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
My concern is that if some engines needed injectors replaced, what is the outlook for my engine which so far has not exhibited any issues with CEL? Until MB explicitly states that they understand the issue with the injectors, I'll continue to believe that I am sitting on a ticking bomb about to go off. I looked at the posted TSB and it looked like there could be 7 or 8 things to cause the CEL to fire up. Can you say shotgun shooting?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RIP 2018 E63 - Lemon Law Buyback Completed