Sponsored by:

Anybody Thought of Trading for the M5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:23 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
For me, the E63S looks better overall. The M5 looks nice (although not as nice as the E63) but it doesn't stand out that much from the standard 5 series. I do wish the suspension of the E63S was as comfortable as that of the M5. However, that is offset by the E63's ability to easily adjust the ride height through the lowering module, as well as its ability to easily raise the car slightly with a push of the button. I use this almost daily to navigate certain driveways.
I didn’t realise you could adjust the ride height in the E63? If you don’t mind me asking, whereabouts is that function?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Vic55
Thanks, I actually just sold the E63S separately outright... I got a nice number
Congrats on your new M5!
I remember reading your post on Bimmerpost and at the time thought the FE would be the right car and right deal for you
The ride quality of the M5 would likely sway my wife as she is no fan of the E63s in Sport+ and tries to drive the car as little as possible.

That said the M5 is putting out some incredible numbers (VTknight almost hitting 130mph in a 1/4 with stock Comp).
Will you tune yours?
Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Slugsy

I didn’t realise you could adjust the ride height in the E63? If you don’t mind me asking, whereabouts is that function?
There is a dashboard button on the left side of the steering column. It is on the control panel where the Active Steering Assist, etc., buttons are located.

Last edited by CALBenzo; 10-20-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
There is a dashboard button on the left side of the steering column. It is on the control panel where the Active Steering Assist, etc., buttons are located.
Awesome, cheers, I wondered what those buttons were for!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
In my opinion, the AMG interior is much better than BMW’s. The two customizable, integrated screens in the Mercedes are far superior without doubt over the M dashboard. The Mercedes wheel and console controls are absolutely UFO inspired with impressive technology and phenomenal usability to say the least. The seat controls and metal inlays are much, much better than in any other car brand. I have a pretty loaded 2015 750Li and I’m quite familiar with the BMW technology which, again in my opinion, seems outdated. I totally dislike the after-thought, glued-on navigation screens which started in Audi, then Mercedes and now in BMW. It completely disrupts the dashboard design flow and it literally looks like they forgot to put a navigation screen and then somebody went to Frys, bought a small tablet and glued it onto the dashboard. I was appaled to see this design in the new 7-series. The new M5 seems to be following this flawed design with a smaller trapezoid, glued-on screen and a less customizable main screen as compared to the screen design on our AMG. Unless you’re into retro, how can anyone find a better dashboard design than the two 12.3 inch, electronic fully customizable screens that we have in our AMG (maybe Tesla?!)?!!! The interior quality of the BMW was always spartan and not as refined as Mercedes’s. I think the attention to detail is also better in the Mercedes. I do agree though that if I must replace my E63S with another car, that would be the M5. But then, I would start my eternal, bitter complaint about the oil consumption which is absolutely ridiculous in BMWs, especially the M5!
The following 3 users liked this post by tirzaman:
ronin amg (10-21-2018), SmokinV10 (10-22-2018), stratman (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'18 RRS SVR; '18 E63S; '14 Cayenne GTS
Thanks, I actually just sold the E63S separately outright... I got a nice number
Hey Vic,

Can I ask how you sold your E63S. I'm also planning to sell my E63S and spoke to the dealer when I placed an order for an M5 Competition, but the best price he gave me was $105k on a $147k build.

Thanks!
Michael
Old 10-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
Originally Posted by MikePaniR
Hey Vic,

Can I ask how you sold your E63S. I'm also planning to sell my E63S and spoke to the dealer when I placed an order for an M5 Competition, but the best price he gave me was $105k on a $147k build.

Thanks!
Michael
Hello Michael,
I'm obviously not Vic55 but he pretty much suggested that my one of three Ed 1 wagons would only garner about $105k for trade in value as the resale would be about $115k. He seems to have quite a few contacts in the auto world and knows his stuff. Why do you want to sell your obviously fully loaded E63S? Did the M5 test drive convince you that it is the better car? Please understand that I'm just trying to find out what the general consensus is from those that are trading their E63s for the M5. I have seen two M5s in the wild so far: one was black satin and I didn't think the color was as good as the Ed 1 Midnight Black Magno but it is a nice car. The other was a white sedan that, for some reason, squeezed in front of me so I just changed lanes. It actually looked quite pedestrian while other colors are a better fit for the car, my personal opinion of course.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quickburn7

yeah i had enough issues with my car to get a buyback pretty quickly.
Honestly Vic’s review is pretty spot on. Forgetting the issues with my E63s the M5 is the better daily driver in all ways. It’s just the better sports sedan. Just like Vic I installed an exhaust system to get some of the exhaust note I was missing.
Hi Quickburn,
How has the M5 been for you so far? Is there any issue with burning oil as other M cars seem to suffer from? This is just from what I've read as, to date, I've never owned a BMW of any kind.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by stratman
Hello Michael,
I'm obviously not Vic55 but he pretty much suggested that my one of three Ed 1 wagons would only garner about $105k for trade in value as the resale would be about $115k. He seems to have quite a few contacts in the auto world and knows his stuff. Why do you want to sell your obviously fully loaded E63S? Did the M5 test drive convince you that it is the better car? Please understand that I'm just trying to find out what the general consensus is from those that are trading their E63s for the M5. I have seen two M5s in the wild so far: one was black satin and I didn't think the color was as good as the Ed 1 Midnight Black Magno but it is a nice car. The other was a white sedan that, for some reason, squeezed in front of me so I just changed lanes. It actually looked quite pedestrian while other colors are a better fit for the car, my personal opinion of course.
Hey Stratman,

I've been almost exclusively a BMW and Porsche guy. I've had several M3s and M5s over the last 15 years and understand the driving characteristics quite well, and from my perspective, is very different than the E63S. Consequently, I'm not enjoying the experience as much as I should - I only have 2,100 miles in 5 months. Although the E63S is better in all performance respects that my last F10 M5, I regret selling it, which was similarly equipped. I haven't had a chance to drive the F90 M5 with the competition pack, but based on past history, I've pretty excited to get back into a M5.

It's pretty loaded. I think the only option I didn't get was the magno paint.

Now the Range Rover Sport SVR, I love this SUV, it's everything I expected, other than the buggy infotainment system!
The following users liked this post:
stratman (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
e63s edition 1
This thread is interesting. Im mostly a lurker here and doing research for my move to an e63s. Im a life-long BMW M guy and this would be my first AMG experience. Ive had only M cars for the last 18 years and currently have an F10 M5 Comp. and an E46M3. Thought about moving to the F90 Comp for a second but but for me its just time for something new. :-)

f.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:50 PM

Hello friskygeek,
From what others have said and being an E63S wagon owner myself I think that either car would be great for you. They're pretty close performance wise though the Competition M5 (from the video I watched) is faster than both, at least in a straight line. But, of course there is more to it than just outright speed. I plan on test driving the M5 in the near future but I doubt I'll be trading in the E63S for one any time soon. Since you are a life-long M driver you should definitely drive both before you make your final decision. Whatever you decide I'm sure you won't regret it.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
e63s edition 1
Hello friskygeek,
From what others have said and being an E63S wagon owner myself I think that either car would be great for you. They're pretty close performance wise though the Competition M5 (from the video I watched) is faster than both, at least in a straight line. But, of course there is more to it than just outright speed. I plan on test driving the M5 in the near future but I doubt I'll be trading in the E63S for one any time soon. Since you are a life-long M driver you should definitely drive both before you make your final decision. Whatever you decide I'm sure you won't regret it.
Thanks! BTW absolutely in love with your Edition 1 wagon!

f.
stratman (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by tonymiabmw

I have had a lot of M cars. I’ve owned 7 M cars. I drove the M5. It’s a good car. This is my first AMG. I really love my e63s. It’s easily the best car I’ve ever owned. The M5 does nothing for me. The interior and exterior is boring to me.
Hi tonymiabmw,
Since you have quite the experience with M cars and have driven the M5, to purchase and then describe the E63s as you have says a lot. In this class of car I guess it's really dependent on a person's personal preference where one may prefer the M5 as the more "mature" hot rod sedan while another prefers the more raucous nature of the E63s. May I ask: what swayed you to settle on the E63s over the M5?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Old 10-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
LOL it affects 12 cars...

its safe to say all new model years have their issues and we will always read about them first before we hear the good news like a stock M5 CE trapped 129 at 10.9
Pertplus (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL it affects 12 cars...

its safe to say all new model years have their issues and we will always read about them first before we hear the good news like a stock M5 CE trapped 129 at 10.9
Dont be mad at me youre driving around a stick of dynamite. Im way safer in my invisible wagon than you are.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Dont be mad at me youre driving around a stick of dynamite. Im way safer in my invisible wagon than you are.
Is that what you are calling your AMC (wrong consonant LOL) Pacer these days???

Pertplus (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is that what you are calling your AMC (wrong consonant LOL) Pacer these days???

0-60 in 3.4 days.
Vic55 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 PM

Hello friskygeek,
Hey Stratman,
You got it exactly right. Some folks have asked me if there's anything wrong with my E63S, which is understandable. I haven't had any major issues with mine in the brief time I've owned it, but I'm simply more comfortable with BMW. There's a familiarity for me that I enjoy, so with that in mind, I'm looking forward to getting back into an M5, although I agree with most about its pedestrian looks. Personally, I think my F10 M5 Competition in Singapore Grey was my favorite, man do I regret selling it!
stratman (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tirzaman
In my opinion, the AMG interior is much better than BMW’s. The two customizable, integrated screens in the Mercedes are far superior without doubt over the M dashboard. The Mercedes wheel and console controls are absolutely UFO inspired with impressive technology and phenomenal usability to say the least. The seat controls and metal inlays are much, much better than in any other car brand. I have a pretty loaded 2015 750Li and I’m quite familiar with the BMW technology which, again in my opinion, seems outdated. I totally dislike the after-thought, glued-on navigation screens which started in Audi, then Mercedes and now in BMW. It completely disrupts the dashboard design flow and it literally looks like they forgot to put a navigation screen and then somebody went to Frys, bought a small tablet and glued it onto the dashboard. I was appaled to see this design in the new 7-series. The new M5 seems to be following this flawed design with a smaller trapezoid, glued-on screen and a less customizable main screen as compared to the screen design on our AMG. Unless you’re into retro, how can anyone find a better dashboard design than the two 12.3 inch, electronic fully customizable screens that we have in our AMG (maybe Tesla?!)?!!! The interior quality of the BMW was always spartan and not as refined as Mercedes’s. I think the attention to detail is also better in the Mercedes. I do agree though that if I must replace my E63S with another car, that would be the M5. But then, I would start my eternal, bitter complaint about the oil consumption which is absolutely ridiculous in BMWs, especially the M5!
I had a "13 M5 that burned 1/2 qt every 1k miles. I then got a '15 M5 that didn't burn a drop in 24k miles. Both bought new. Go figure.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 514 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
My 13 m5 burnt 1 litre every 700km. I got tired of this bs and got rid of the car in less than 2 yrs of ownership. The worst car I had ever owned.
stratman (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by MikePaniR
Hey Stratman,
You got it exactly right. Some folks have asked me if there's anything wrong with my E63S, which is understandable. I haven't had any major issues with mine in the brief time I've owned it, but I'm simply more comfortable with BMW. There's a familiarity for me that I enjoy, so with that in mind, I'm looking forward to getting back into an M5, although I agree with most about its pedestrian looks. Personally, I think my F10 M5 Competition in Singapore Grey was my favorite, man do I regret selling it!
doesnt the f10 m5 look even more “boring” than the f90 m5?

for sure the f90 with carbon roof looks more aggressive from what I see?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:59 PM

Wow, that's worse than some of the issues the E63s has suffered from. I wonder what it is though. Isn't the M5 engine all forged internals like the E63? Oh yeah, you and Vic55 really gave me a good laugh with the "driving around a stick of dynamite" and the AMC Pacer. You guys are too funny. Thanks for the laughs.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, that's worse than some of the issues the E63s has suffered from. I wonder what it is though. Isn't the M5 engine all forged internals like the E63? Oh yeah, you and Vic55 really gave me a good laugh with the "driving around a stick of dynamite" and the AMC Pacer. You guys are too funny. Thanks for the laughs.
Just two men who love each other more than we are allowed to express on the interwebs.
stratman (10-22-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Administrator

It affects 12 cars... no future deliveries will have the issue either as they can not- be delivered LOL.

Pert is my shampoo to my extra coarse hair. He make me smooth.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vic55:
Pertplus (10-23-2018), stratman (10-23-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody Thought of Trading for the M5?