Sponsored by:

Xpel Stealth alternative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Question Xpel Stealth alternative

Well i decided to not follow the Xpel path.

I feel I am being ripped off on the quoted price i got, probably from the installer taking advantage of being the only certified one across 1,000 miles up until recently...

I don't mind paying people for a good job, but i don't like to be ripped off.

so i am now shopping for other brands. I got a cheap quote for a LLumar installation but the issue is they will be doing the install by hand cut and I don't like that.

anyway, anyone has used LLumar? are they good? how is their matte version?

Last edited by tonecas; 11-30-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
The following users liked this post:
Ken Doo (04-06-2020)
Old 11-30-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
it's not about the film, it's about a shop that going to do a job if they are don't have a plotter cutter.

I got Suntek ppf (standard not mate) from the local small shop but a guy who runs it has a plotter cutter, even a fancy shop across the street doesn't have it.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by bobblehead

no dealer in Europe
are they good? never heard of it
Old 11-30-2018, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Suntek is on the same level as XPEL.

Prestige is too, but its very hard to find dealers. I would choose between these three brands based on the dealer and price.

Also price and quality don't correlate. Sometimes the most skilled people are less expensive because they don't make mistakes and can do the job in a single attempt. While less skilled people use more film and also have to factor more risk into their pricing. I have found no correlation (neither positive nor negative) between price and quality when it comes to PPF installers.

The best way to vet is to ask forums, read reviews, and follow their instagram and facebook accounts.
tonecas (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 07:46 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
the installer for the Xpel has good rep and is the only certified installer in more than 1000 miles. they also are chosen by most costumers with cars from premium brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, Pagani, ... so there is no question they are good.

but the equivalent of $8,6k + taxes on a country with low purchasing power and low labor cost is absurd. i feel ripped off.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:02 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Since Suntek and LLumar are under the same group do you mean Suntek in particular or LLumar is just the same?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:06 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

Prestige is too, but its very hard to find dealers. I would choose between these three brands based on the dealer and price.

Also price and quality don't correlate. Sometimes the most skilled people are less expensive because they don't make mistakes and can do the job in a single attempt. While less skilled people use more film and also have to factor more risk into their pricing. I have found no correlation (neither positive nor negative) between price and quality when it comes to PPF installers.

The best way to vet is to ask forums, read reviews, and follow their instagram and facebook accounts.
The best PPF guy I've ever seen is in Richmond, VA. He actually competes in XPEL sponsored wrap competitions. He's also fairly reasonable with pricing. The full XPEL Ultimate wrap for the wagon was around $4200, all painted surfaces, gloss black pieces, wrapping chrome pieces in Stealth for a satin look, etc. Has a pattern cutter. I had him wrap the wagon before taking delivery and the dealership actually started using him instead of the shop just up the street from them despite his shop being on the other side of town. He tucks all the edges and hand trims the details, no one can tell my cars have been wrapped. Jose at Safeguard Auto Salon in Richmond, VA if anyone's interested. He also makes house calls, sometimes long distance. He's wrapped my SLS, i8, Range Rover SVR, and now the wagon. Local Richmond car nut with two early 2000s Ford GTs, a new Ford GT, Ferrari F12's and FF's, Aventador, etc. also exclusively uses them.
VPC_E63S (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
The big difference in pricing is the quality of the installation. An experienced high-end custom install is better than a cookie-cutter install. I went with Prestige Clearguard Nano for my AMG GTS. The place I finally selected was not inexpensive---and had owners shipping in super cars from around the country for them to do. My car was the "cheap one" in the shop! I did a full body wrap. You can open doors and hood and still can't find the seams. I topped off the wrap with Cquartz Finest ceramic coating which makes the car easy to care for---it's black.

Don't wait to do a wrap or ceramic coating. Any blemishes will simply be magnified by either a wrap or ceramic coat. The less paint correction that needs to be done the better. It's best to do when the car is new.

Ken
Old 12-01-2018, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
‘Yes, plotter cutter is the key. Friend of mine went to hand cut place and there are jagged edges visible up close... just my 2c.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
If there are jagged edges or *yikes* scratches and cuts on the paint from a custom hand install---that isn't the place to go. A true high end custom install will always beat a pre-cut design because it will be wrapped underneath to where the edges are not discernible. The place I went to did a lot of "clean up" for clients who tried to go on the cheap and ended up having to get their wraps re-done. I got to see some of the clean-up repairs and was shown the cuts into the paint on a Porsche GT3RS---*ouch*

Getting it done right costs $$$
Old 12-01-2018, 04:09 PM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 E63 wagon, 2020 G63, 2018 GT3 Touring, 1996 C4S
I agree that the installer is the key. Have to have the wrap go over the edges so you don’t see the lines. With that in mind I chose the 3M matte wrap. Looks great and also comes with ten year warranty. I chose to do it MB partly because the weather sucked and I didn’t want to drive it out of the dealership yet. But also because even if the installer goes belly up, MB will honour the warranty coverage. You never know which installer might be out of biz in like 7 years.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Ken Doo
If there are jagged edges or *yikes* scratches and cuts on the paint from a custom hand install---that isn't the place to go. A true high end custom install will always beat a pre-cut design because it will be wrapped underneath to where the edges are not discernible. The place I went to did a lot of "clean up" for clients who tried to go on the cheap and ended up having to get their wraps re-done. I got to see some of the clean-up repairs and was shown the cuts into the paint on a Porsche GT3RS---*ouch*

Getting it done right costs $$$
Agree, depends on where you go. "jagged edges" is on xpel itself and not cuts/scratches in the paint.
I had xpel plotter cut/template done on my car and there are overlaps where needed.

If you spend time getting quotes and relevant info, then "right cost $$$" can be easily less.
To clarify: my dealer was asking right cost at "$$$". Turns out they just outsource the job. Getting "EXPELED" at the same shop dealer was using, cost went down to "$".
No need for middleman as 10 yr warranty is by Xpel....
Old 12-01-2018, 07:20 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
It seems to me the cleanest install is with a plotter. They can even adjust the template to better fit the car if the installer is experienced. But there will be more seams and hedges visible. On the other hand ther PPF will not be stretched too much to fit every curve and tucked behind every panel which can imply more panel removal which has the risk of breaking something or add crackles.

However, someone skilled and more experienced can overcome these issues and make a better end result than a plotter based, specially when changing color to a matte finish.

What I can't figure is how a plotter install can get so expensive. I know they have to pay the machine and the software but, come on, $8,5k for a plotter install?

I have another experienced installer that does a custom install and was very frank saying that in a car big as this it is possible to have a small cut to the paint at some point but can be latter on easily corrected when removing the PPF. He works with llumar and gyeon.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:47 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by E63Wagonesque
But also because even if the installer goes belly up, MB will honour the warranty coverage. You never know which installer might be out of biz in like 7 years.
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
No need for middleman as 10 yr warranty is by Xpel....
MB on my country doesn't offer this service. But the particular installer risk is not that relevant since the warranty is offered by the brand like @6G Schnell said.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:15 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
For those of you who have had a plotter install, has it developed a line of dirt and small peel on edge lines after 2 or 3 years like it happens with mobile phone screen protectors?
Old 12-02-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by tonecas
For those of you who have had a plotter install, has it developed a line of dirt and small peel on edge lines after 2 or 3 years like it happens with mobile phone screen protectors?
Thats a damn good question! Anyone?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Yes, but happened much more quickly on my car....say in 8 months. My car is white so the disocolored edge line is quite noticable up close. I pulled most of the ppf off a couple of weeks ago when washing it....couldn't stand to look at it anymore. Lol
Old 12-02-2018, 07:58 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
Yes, but happened much more quickly on my car....say in 8 months. My car is white so the disocolored edge line is quite noticable up close. I pulled most of the ppf off a couple of weeks ago when washing it....couldn't stand to look at it anymore. Lol
Thanks for you feedback! Was it a full wrap? Have you opt for a cheaper shop?

Old 12-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
So is that covered with the 10 year guarantee?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Thanks for you feedback! Was it a full wrap? Have you opt for a cheaper shop?
No problem. Wrapped the front of the car and the rocker panels and hood. I think it was about $2500 USD.

Originally Posted by Slugsy

So is that covered with the 10 year guarantee?
Not sure, but I believe the shop who did it has a one year warranty on install as well.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:16 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
The plotters allow installers to “scale up” the cut a little so that edges can be tucked, rolled, or trimmed as needed...but many novice installers are scared of cutting and just try to make it work instead of trimming.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:17 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
No problem. Wrapped the front of the car and the rocker panels and hood. I think it was about $2500 USD.

Not sure, but I believe the shop who did it has a one year warranty on install as well.
A good shop will address any problems with their install, including holding water/dirt.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:26 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Carac
The plotters allow installers to “scale up” the cut a little so that edges can be tucked, rolled, or trimmed as needed...but many novice installers are scared of cutting and just try to make it work instead of trimming.
That's one of the issues I see with people that do plotter install. Plotter installation is meant to be clean, with few tucked film, stretch and panel removal. Starting expanding and wrapping the film enters the custom installation method. The guy that was going to do my wrap was very wary of stretching the film to avoid seems or roll the film behind the panels. He argues that that may leed to peeling since the film many times will be glued to ruff surface. That puzzles me since trimming the film just to panel edges can develop dirt and peel lines after sometime .
Old 12-02-2018, 07:02 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
That's one of the issues I see with people that do plotter install. Plotter installation is meant to be clean, with few tucked film, stretch and panel removal. Starting expanding and wrapping the film enters the custom installation method. The guy that was going to do my wrap was very wary of stretching the film to avoid seems or roll the film behind the panels. He argues that that may leed to peeling since the film many times will be glued to ruff surface. That puzzles me since trimming the film just to panel edges can develop dirt and peel lines after sometime .
The guy I use only has the machine make the template 5-10% bigger because sometimes the templates have odd connection points or come short in some areas and he doesn’t want to stretch it, so he just cuts the excess from scaling up the cut. He also does a lot of custom work on cars that don’t have templates yet. I felt sorry for him when he custom wrapped my i8, took him a couple days. It was so new XPEL hadn’t had a chance to scan a car. Same thing happened with the new Ford GT he wrapped for a friend. He basically only uses the cutter to save time on the gross cutting so he can focus on detail work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xpel Stealth alternative