Tranmission + spedometer + "Active sound" question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Tranmission + spedometer + "Active sound" question

1. Is the MCT a dual clutch? Is it clunky at low speeds like all dual clutches? Obviously a little clunkiness is ok and I'm sure it is very livable. I ask because I feel I have read and watched many reviews + comparisons of the car, and I feel like the transmission is rarely mentioned. For me, it was a main selling point over the M5 to me. Despite what people say about the M5 torque converter tranmission being great and quick and all that, I was able to tell the difference right away on a quick test drive versus my M6. Does the E63 MCT have hard shifts? Can you control its shift "aggression" like you can with BMW?

2. My BMW spedometer is confirmed by like, Waze, 2 different radar detectors, dragy, and speedtraps in my area to be 5% off. Both my M5 and M6 were like this. Stock wheels on both. I wonder if BMW wants young enthusiasts thinking they are going faster than they are. Does Mercedes have this problem?

3. I know Mercedes is the king of turbocharged engine exhaust notes. I can't find anything concrete online that says whether or not Mercedes pumps fake engine noise into the cabin, similar to BMW's "Active Sound Design" module. Can somebody please comment on whether this exists? I'm going to assume it doesn't.

4. Car critics highly regard the BMW interior because the steering wheel has the M1/M2 preset mode buttons. Does the E63 have something similar?
Old 12-02-2018, 03:40 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
1.yes
3.no
4.no

Last edited by dav461; 12-02-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Hummm... I have a different opinion

1. The tran is smooth as silk. It's a multi clutch. It can't control shift aggressiveness other than by driving mode control (confort, sport,...) AFAIK

2. Yes. At 200kmh you are really about 193kmh

3. It's debatable. No one has made an effective test to see if there is sound being piped in.

4. Unfortunately no. But this regarding driver's position and feel. BMW is more oriented to driver but I like much more the interior of Mercedes.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
I agree that a switch on the week would be nice but you can select modes by the lever on the console in the center. I will regularly switch to sports mode when entering and highway and then switch back to comfort or individual mode for better fuel economy .
Old 12-02-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 513 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
2. Not just bmw and mb, porsche, audi ,etc all have the same setup. If you google this, there is some info. on why the car manuf. are doing this.

4. our E63 has the "Individual" setting. That is it.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The MCT is NOT a dual-clutch transmission. A DCT is essentially two manual transmissions, nested within one another. There are two input shafts and two clutches. One operates the odd gears and the other the even gears. Since normal shifts alternate odd and even, one clutch is always "ready" for the next shift. The downside is that the physical nesting weakens the structure, so it's hard to build one that will handle massive torque. (The Koenigsegg Agera has a single-shaft DCT, so it's possible, but that's for a two-million dollar car.)

The MCT is totally different. The gear pack is "normal" for an automatic, but the torque convertor has been replaced with a multi-clutch assembly.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...ms-112461.html