Sponsored by:

2019 E63S Cylinder Icon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi R8
2019 E63S Cylinder Icon

I've noticed only occasionally will I see the V4 cylinder icon appear then it goes away usually appears only a couple seconds even if I keep very low rpm and load. I never see the V8 symbol though and I've seen that in several dashboard pics of 2018s.

I just took delivery of 19 E63S is there a way to make this icon appear all the time? I have a commute 50 miles half of that is steady 65-75 mph seems it rarely appears when in cruise control even the tip someone posted of tapping the accelerator makes it appear but only briefly.

Last edited by pentium7; 12-14-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by pentium7
Additionally it seems my driver side exterior mirror does not have dimming functionality? I thought the driver's side definitely had this, it's there in my other MB.
For certain your driver's side mirror should have dimmability. Have your dealer check into this....either defective mirror or loose wiring.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
First, make sure you have the auto-start/stop feature enabled. Next, make sure you're in comfort mode. I'm pretty sure the cylinder deactivation and coasting modes don't engage in Sport and certainly not Sport+ or Race modes.

I haven't been able to get the cylinder deactivation mode to engage while in cruise control mode. If it is engaged when I turn cruise on, it will stay on for a bit, but eventually go off when I come to a hill or otherwise require a bit more power from the motor. Once you level off or head back down hill, the motor does not go back to 4 cylinder mode when cruise control is active.

Haven't figured out how to reliably get the coasting mode to engage, but it does from time to time - noticed it this morning briefly on my way to work.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:42 PM

2017 Audi R8
Auto-start/stop feature is enabled. Yes always in comfort mode when trying to get cylinder deactivation. It seems very picky but I guess there is no way to leave the cylinder icon on the dash? I've never seen 8 on there only 4 once in a while.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2012 Ferrari FF, 1992 911 C2, 2019 e63s wagon (no longer lives at the Baltimore VPC)
Originally Posted by pentium7
Auto-start/stop feature is enabled. Yes always in comfort mode when trying to get cylinder deactivation. It seems very picky but I guess there is no way to leave the cylinder icon on the dash? I've never seen 8 on there only 4 once in a while.
If it is not on 4 cylinders, then wouldn't it therefore be on 8?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by E634Me
First, make sure you have the auto-start/stop feature enabled. Next, make sure you're in comfort mode. I'm pretty sure the cylinder deactivation and coasting modes don't engage in Sport and certainly not Sport+ or Race modes.

I haven't been able to get the cylinder deactivation mode to engage while in cruise control mode. If it is engaged when I turn cruise on, it will stay on for a bit, but eventually go off when I come to a hill or otherwise require a bit more power from the motor. Once you level off or head back down hill, the motor does not go back to 4 cylinder mode when cruise control is active.

Haven't figured out how to reliably get the coasting mode to engage, but it does from time to time - noticed it this morning briefly on my way to work.
i noticed the same thing until my 10k mile service... never saw 4 cyl when in cruise. Now, it deactivates in cruise ... not sure if there was an update applied or something cause i never mentioned it to my SA.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM

2017 Audi R8
Originally Posted by VPC_E63S
If it is not on 4 cylinders, then wouldn't it therefore be on 8?
Yes but seeing pics of icon with 8 on here for a while, I wondered if there was a way to keep it visible by a setting.

Update: It seems at lower speeds 30-60 while cruise is disabled if you are very steady with speed and rpm it'll show the 4 cylinder icon but almost any acceleration turns it off.

I'm 16 mpg to work and it's 95% highway I think 70+ mph 4 cylinder mode doesn't stay active even with cruise off.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Seems like you should be able to do better than that. Most of my highway trips are up in the 18-20 mpg range.

I averaged a bit over 18 mpg from Germantown, MD to San Diego. Drove typically 10 mph over, so 75 to 90 mph most of the time. Included a few open road leg stretching exercises and a couple of race starts here and there.

Had to drive the car manually between Nashville and Dallas after the dealer doing my 1800 mile rear diff service wiped out all my camera calibrations in an attempt to correct an issue caused at the VPC when they replaced my windshield but didn't properly recalibrate the cameras. Had the windshield replaced again in Dallas due to a rock strike in Arkansas. Dallas dealer recalibrated everything and all distronic features were available again. So trip between Dallas and San Diego was mostly on cruise - meaning no cylinder deactivation.

I believe the mileage did drop on that half of the trip.

Did a number of tests driving with and without cruise and confirmed that cylinder deactivation mode doesn't engage while on cruise - or if it does, it doesn't activate the icon. Also, coasting mode doesn't activate on cruise either.

Sucks that the mileage is a bit lower when running cruise, but then again I'm a bit more relaxed and mellow so I guess it's worth it. Maybe it was turning 60 . . .

BTW, should confirm that I'm driving a 2018, not a 2019, so there might be some differences in how the features work.

Last edited by E634Me; 12-14-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Add missing thoughts.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Just did a 400 mile trip and back, got 25 UK mpg! Rocking!!!