Sponsored by:

Curb Rash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E53, 2017 Macan GTS and 2018 Acura NSX
Curb Rash

Unfortunately it wasn't a very Merry Christmas as I ran over a curb and scratched my rim. It's about 1/2 inch and kind of deep. The car is only 2 weeks old. I was planning on having it repaired like the wheels on an M4 I had. However those wheels and I suspect the ones on my E53 are machine finished. When I repaired the M4 wheels it left some tiny but visible grooves around the entire face of the rim. Its not noticeable from a distance but when get close enough you can see the grooves. The repair shop did inform me this would happen as the wheels needed to be re-machined.

I am not sure what's worse looking at the curb rash for the next 3 years or the grooves in the wheel. Anyone have any experience with having their wheels re-machined?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2018, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Do you have the wheel and tire protection from MBusa? It so they can refinish it for free and if not to your satisfaction, you can get a free wheel replacement.

If not, I would go through your local dealer to have it refinish and the wheel shop that does it for your dealer will for sure make it look like now.

Sorry it happened.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:53 AM

I didn't purchase the wheel plan as its just become too expensive here in NY.

I will contact my dealer to see what they say. I was hesitant to bring in a middle man but it's probably the best way to get it done properly.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
If the roads in NY is as bad as it is in SoCal, I would strongly suggest you getting the wheel and tire protection. My 2017 S63 just had 2 wheels replaced plus 1 wheel repaired/refinished and 3 tires replaced ( all in 1 claim ) under the wheel and tire protection. 1 wheel on my S63 retails for $3,800/wheel and tire is $399 each so the claim paid for itself in the first year of ownership.

You might also go through your purchasing dealer and see if they can get you a discount on the wheel repair since you bought the car from them.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
My AMG 18" wheels were repaired, within 3 months of car ownership. All wheels can be repaired based on what I know, you just need to find an experienced shop to have the tools and knowledge to process the repair and return the wheel to as good as new OEM condition.
I also had my WORK Wheels by Rays repaired a few times at 1K+ per wheel retail its worth spending a few hundred to repair it. And they were brought back to like new condition.
Also it may be beneficial of actually looking for aftermarket wheels, if that is something that a owner would be open to. Personally if I damaged 2 or more of my OEM AMG wheels at once and they needed to be replaced I would not pay over 3k for factory replacements but I would go aftermarket at that point.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Have had two of my wheels repaired for curb rash by a mobile rim repair person. Did a pretty good job. Can I see the spots if I look hard, yeah. Have I gotten over it, pretty much. Cost, about $200 total.

If the guy had taken a bit more time and waited a bit longer for everything to dry so he could apply a little black paint along the edge of the wheel to sharpen up the sliver along the edge of the wheel where it's a bit wider in the area of the repair, I think you'd have a really hard time spotting it even if you knew about it.

I have a new bit of damage that occurred while the car was in the shop for CEL diagnostics. Didn't catch the damage till a few days after I'd had the car back. Didn't bring it up to the shop, maybe they'd have taken care of it, but figured likely not and wasn't worth the fight. Next time will walk around the car with camera and photo all four wheels as well as video body. Same on pick-up.

Could use the same mobile wheel guy as before, but think I'll look for reviews and try someone else on the next one.

The whole process is pretty easy and I could do it my self I'm sure as I've got a pretty well equipped garage, but am getting lazy these days . . .
Old 12-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I looked at the wheel in the daylight (looked at it originally the garage with a flashlight) and its not that bad. My wife told me to leave it b/c there is probably more to come in the future between her and the kids! I just wish it wasn't so soon.

Too add insult to injury I hit what I thought was a pretty harmless NY pothole on my way home yesterday and got a bubble on my front tire. Fortunately, I just purchased the set of Michelin PS AS+'s from tire rack and it was covered under their road hazard warranty program.

It figures when I say I'm going to "self insure" my wheels and tires from now on all hell brakes loose!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
GLC43
Too expensive? You bought a $100K+ car. I paid $1595 for my wheel & tire for 5 years in NY Metro area. You have to wheel and deal as I was initially quoted $2195.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 AMG E63S
Who gave you that tire/wheel deal? I am in upstate NY and they were quoting $3.5k. I just laughed and said no thank you. But for $1600 it would be a no brainer.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
GLC43
MB of Nanuet. They will highball you. You will have to work hard to negotiate. My negotiation power was based on the fact that I ordered my car, was given a specific delivery date, and actual delivery was 3 months after the fact. I also negotiated the 4 year pre-paid maintenance and forced their hand to meet my negotiated price, or I take just the car. I do not think you will have much negotiation power at this point but you can always try.

Last edited by ckay; 12-28-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Done my right one in well and truly, awful high kerb/channel into a car park I have to use! Given I will likely do it again, I will be waiting to rectify!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Formula1Fan
Unfortunately it wasn't a very Merry Christmas as I ran over a curb and scratched my rim. It's about 1/2 inch and kind of deep. The car is only 2 weeks old. I was planning on having it repaired like the wheels on an M4 I had. However those wheels and I suspect the ones on my E53 are machine finished. When I repaired the M4 wheels it left some tiny but visible grooves around the entire face of the rim. Its not noticeable from a distance but when get close enough you can see the grooves. The repair shop did inform me this would happen as the wheels needed to be re-machined.

I am not sure what's worse looking at the curb rash for the next 3 years or the grooves in the wheel. Anyone have any experience with having their wheels re-machined?

Thanks
A good shop should be able to do it right. I know I had this issue on one of my previous cars and they did an amazing job. Work was done by the dealer although I know they sub it out to a reputable place.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
A good shop should be able to do it right. I know I had this issue on one of my previous cars and they did an amazing job. Work was done by the dealer although I know they sub it out to a reputable place.
Yes I'm going to bring it back to my dealer. They sub it out to a mobile guy who comes to the dealer. I am weary of bringing it to a local shop. The wheels are the nicest part of the car!