MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   $2,000+ repair rock chip in front intercooler/heat exchanger? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/732427-2-000-repair-rock-chip-front-intercooler-heat-exchanger.html)

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 01:06 PM

$2,000+ repair rock chip in front intercooler/heat exchanger?

Has this happened to anybody else? I don’t trust the dealer/service advisor that diagnosed the issue. They are telling me rocks from the highway can randomly puncture the intercooler/heat exchange and Mercedes will not cover the damage as it is external wear and tear.

I don’t understand what the odds are statistically that makes this car safe to drive if it can easily be cracked by rocks on the highway?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

bobblehead 01-09-2019 01:17 PM

from past threads, there seems to have various end result depends on how much effort the dealer put into asking MB USA to cover it.

I recalled the last thread was a forum member had his covered partially. https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...lant-leak.html ... see post #8

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bobblehead (Post 7649903)
from past threads, there seems to have various end result depends on how much effort the dealer put into asking MB USA to cover it.

I recalled the last thread was a forum member had his covered partially.

What do I have to do? Inform my service advisor that I’d like MB USA to cover it? How do I get that conversation started?

bobblehead 01-09-2019 01:32 PM

Not sure. You should be dealing with the Service Manager for this though. I guess if you have a good relationship with your dealer and the service manager is willing to take one or two extra steps in convincing MBUSA that it is a design flaw by allowing bigger debris entering those big unprotected openings.

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 01:46 PM

Update: you can file a claim through Geico under your “comprehension” coverage

izzy63 01-09-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored (Post 7649922)
Update: you can file a claim through Geico under your “comprehension” coverage

Wow, didn't know you could file it under comprehensive coverage. Thought that was only for fire, theft & vandalism to your car.

Pioneer222 01-09-2019 02:01 PM

What year?

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored (Post 7649896)
Has this happened to anybody else? I don’t trust the dealer/service advisor that diagnosed the issue. They are telling me rocks from the highway can randomly puncture the intercooler/heat exchange and Mercedes will not cover the damage as it is external wear and tear.

I don’t understand what the odds are statistically that makes this car safe to drive if it can easily be cracked by rocks on the highway?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

What year is your car? If it is a 2018, it may help that MB added a screen in front of the inter coolers to help reduce the likelihood of the occurrence on 2019 models. Looking a my 2019 it seems to be a pretty thin plastic screen that still has square openings all over. I would think the fact that they changed the design would be good evidence of a "design flaw" which may help your case for at least partial coverage. Also, if your car is a 2019,.. that is not good either because it means the update does not work all that well. FYI, you will also see past posts about an aftermarket screen that seems to protect fully without obstructing flow. Hope this helps!

izzy63 01-09-2019 02:13 PM

The openings are the same, there is no extra film on the 19' cars

Pioneer222 01-09-2019 02:17 PM

Wow,... good to know. I guess that is why they looked so thin to me:confused: But bad - I got to go see where I got that info from... that this was fixed for 19. Now I guess I need the Zungpsort covers... Aaaagh

Vic55 01-09-2019 02:58 PM

A member on the M5 boards hit a piece of wood that punctured his engine oil cooler... he drove for 90 seconds and that was probably 85 seconds too long. His engine was toast and BMW obviously denied any warranty coverage even though the oil cooler is so poorly locate underneath the front of the car. His auto insurance covered it like the OPs here. Road damage is comprehensive in nature even when the damage is due to poor engineering.

E634Me 01-09-2019 03:04 PM

I'd have to confirm with my wife who is an insurance agent, but as I recall, she once told me that if you hit road debris that is moving then it's an allowable claim. But if you hit stationary road debris then the claim might be denied. Guess the rationale is that you should have been looking where you were going . . .

Pebbles that puncture the radiators would seem to fit the moving category because if they were stationary they'd of course be on the ground.

Suppose it depends too on the state (we're in CA) and the insurance company.

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pioneer222 (Post 7649953)
What year is your car? If it is a 2018, it may help that MB added a screen in front of the inter coolers to help reduce the likelihood of the occurrence on 2019 models. Looking a my 2019 it seems to be a pretty thin plastic screen that still has square openings all over. I would think the fact that they changed the design would be good evidence of a "design flaw" which may help your case for at least partial coverage. Also, if your car is a 2019,.. that is not good either because it means the update does not work all that well. FYI, you will also see past posts about an aftermarket screen that seems to protect fully without obstructing flow. Hope this helps!

I just personally felt like the dealer/service advisor/tech were trying to drum up business. I doubt they gashed my intercooler then tried to get me to pay for it... but what are the chances?

I was told by a BMW tech (where I have a good relationship) that this is common for them as well, but like you said, when they repair, they put either a screen or a film or something better than the original part.

If the dealer didn’t do this being shady, I was driving on a perfectly normal highway (aka not rock land).

I hope they don’t just repair the car with the same part... that pretty much gives me zero confidence this won’t happen again.

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by izzy63 (Post 7649966)
The openings are the same, there is no extra film on the 19' cars

I thought we saw a thread here that showed covers for ‘19 heat exchangers?

bobblehead 01-09-2019 03:42 PM

Nothing really changed 18 vs 19. If there are huge openings, then it's matter of luck ... really.

2012 merc amg 01-09-2019 03:46 PM

Get the Zunsport protectors for the future to help keep this from happening again.

CALBenzo 01-09-2019 04:56 PM

This happened to me a couple of months ago. It was $1900 for a new radiator (or whatever cooler is in the middle). I had pink coolant leak out onto my floor. It was not covered under warranty of course, but my SA was able to get MBrace to pay for half of it since the car was so new. They also threw in a free 2K differential fluid change, but it still cost me $900. I have the Zunsports grilles now, but have yet to install it.

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by CALBenzo (Post 7650093)
This happened to me a couple of months ago. It was $1900 for a new radiator (or whatever cooler is in the middle). I had pink coolant leak out onto my floor. It was not covered under warranty of course, but my SA was able to get MBrace to pay for half of it since the car was so new. They also threw in a free 2K differential fluid change, but it still cost me $900. I have the Zunsports grilles now, but have yet to install it.

$1,900 + time to take front bumper off and install it?

Did you have to throw a fit to get Mercedes to cover half? What did you have to say to who to get that ball rolling?

Mandarin 01-09-2019 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored (Post 7650025)

I thought we saw a thread here that showed covers for ‘19 heat exchangers?

there was the same plastic that my 18's car has too.

CALBenzo 01-09-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored (Post 7650096)

$1,900 + time to take front bumper off and install it?

Did you have to throw a fit to get Mercedes to cover half? What did you have to say to who to get that ball rolling?

Sorry, meant $1900 for the total repair.
Actually, the SA felt bad since the car was so new, so he offered it. I did complain about the bad design, however.

v8plus4 01-09-2019 05:56 PM

Zunsport

Get the Zunsport grilles. Cheap insurance, very well made, plus they complete the look. I believe another member has an unused set for sale a few threads down...

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...rt-guards.html

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3e1101767b.jpg

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by CALBenzo (Post 7650119)
Sorry, meant $1900 for the total repair.
Actually, the SA felt bad since the car was so new, so he offered it. I did complain about the bad design, however.

Well that's night and day from me getting a door slammed in my face and being told negative reviews online don't matter, now isn't it?

honeybadger15 01-09-2019 08:57 PM

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by honeybadger15 (Post 7650262)
The Zunsport grills are a must. Here’s pictures of my front within the first 1,200 miles.

Wait... are the Zunsport grills only for your bottom heat exchanger/intercooler? I don't see anything on the one in the middle right in front.

MuffinFlavored 01-09-2019 09:33 PM

Would it make sense to have a welder patch the hole in my intercooler? $50 versus $1.9k? I know, Mercedes, don't skimp out... just curious.

pentium7 01-10-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by izzy63 (Post 7649926)
Wow, didn't know you could file it under comprehensive coverage. Thought that was only for fire, theft & vandalism to your car.

Zunsport Grills installed for my E63S I took the risk for a couple hundred miles until I was convinced performance from air intake from another forum member was not affected using them.